Our Schools Don't Need Teachers like Jerry Shelley

Original post made by High School on May 16, 2009

After reading the postings by former teacher Jerry Shelley, I am glad he is a former teacher!
He may be a nice man, but he's not someone I would want as a teacher.
His postings are all about emotion and throwing dirt on people who don't share his opinion and that's the kind of person I don't want at the front of a classroom.
I'm glad that Amador has teachers like Mr. Clegg, Mr. Ladd and Mr. Murphy. They are tough, but they teach students to look at issues from all sides and to do their research.
Mr. Shelly's reputation was that he was an easy teacher who liked to make fun of the kids (see the rate my teachers website).
No one would call Mr. Clegg, Mr. Ladd or Mr. Murphy easy teachers. There may be times when students don't like them much! But every student who has had these men for teachers is grateful because they challenged students to learn.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on May 16, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Can you prove you allegations? Please post something that indicates that what you are saying is not just you slanted opinion. Gracias...

Posted by Classy, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 16, 2009 at 3:25 pm

>His postings are all about emotion and throwing dirt on people

And your response to this is to, well, throw dirt on the man. Classy. Perhaps Jerry should start a thread entitled "'High School' is a bonehead."

No wonder most of the "No On G" drones are so afraid to identify themselves. They're not afraid to use real names and smear people.

Posted by High School, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 16, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Ladd & Murphy, both winners of Excellence in Education awards. Murphy's students have 100% pass rate on AP exams. (can be verified by, but common knowledge among Amador students)
Klegg & Ladd, both led/coached award winning comp civics teams to nationals.
see www.ratemyteachers.com for student comments about Jerry Shelley.
Can't prove if Jerry Shelley is a nice man
Please read his posts for emotional content. Example of throwing dirt below:
***"The messages I read on this site represent a number of very unhappy people who are frustrated with many issues in their lives."
and
***""From reading the negative press on Measure G it is very obvious to me that these negative individuals have not taught in the classroom, were once involved in the system and had a bad experience or are just unhappy and not to fond of children."
and
"You community figure heads who make up things to make public gains need to find something else to do to pass the time."
(see Jerry Shelly topic post of May 1 for last two examples)
Nothing constructive about those remarks. Wouldn't want someone who is unable to discuss issues without belittling others in front of a classroom.
Shelley does not respond to posters who question his "facts."
For example he stated,

"Teachers will not get raises or more money, only jobs will be saved."

Numerous posters questioned how step and column isn't more money. No response from Shelley.

He lays giant eggs of statement which include slams against those who don't support G, but neither provides facts, nor responds to questions.
Reminds me of some teachers who were the same way. They lectured on their version of the facts, and when students asked questions, put down the students for their questions, or refused to answer. They were not interested in any information that didn't agree with the position they had taken.

That is why teachers like Ladd, Klegg and Murphy who encourage questions, discussion, and students presenting opposing viewpoints are great.

Shelley's comments show he doesn't do any of those things, and I wouldn't want someone like him teaching.
He hasn't posted anonymously. He has posted his opinions while referencing his positions with PUSD.
I have responded by posting my opinion.

de Nada

Posted by Awkward, a resident of Amador Valley High School
on May 16, 2009 at 7:23 pm

I feel bad for the teachers who were dragged into this ridiculous conversation, as I know they all like and respect Jerry as a teacher and a friend. AWKWARD!

Btw, I wouldn't put a lot of weight in ratemyteacher.com, as it tends to draw a certain crowd that is not representative of the whole.

Also, I in no way want to diminish the impact and accomplishments of the teachers mentioned above because they are amazing. I just think that teachers who work with the non- AP crowd don't get the visibility or recognition they deserve. Jerry had a great reputation for motivating the type of kids who might've dropped out of school otherwise. He doesn't have awards or AP scores to quantify that, but it does have value.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on May 16, 2009 at 10:40 pm

High School is too silly to keep posting. Go hang out in the heat tomorrow. You're already half-baked!

Besides, who cares what you want or don't want creep? There nothing constructive in what you say. Example: ...he lays giant eggs..." Doesn't fly! What does throwing dirt on people have to do with you? Go wash you hands you have baked fool.

Have a nice Sunday HS looney. Hahahahahahahahahah...

Posted by Be Positive, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 17, 2009 at 9:56 am

So you can express your opinion, but Jerry Shelley can't, and that makes him someone not fit to be in front of a class?

He has more knowledge about PUSD than most posting here. He "saved" many kids in his years as a teacher and administrator. To post a thread like this is unbelievable. Not only did Mr. Shelly devote his life to education, in his retirement, he is still volunteering in the elementary school classrooms.

Can you all say that for yourselves?

Posted by Tom, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 17, 2009 at 10:07 am

"A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove..but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a Child" Mr. Shelley was a wonderful principal and teacher, inspiring his students and making a difference in their lives. This type of thread is so hurtful and I am surprise PW is allowing it.

Posted by Me, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 18, 2009 at 9:22 am

High School -- My guess you did not attend those AP Civics classes, If you did you would not be attacking Mr Shelley's right to express his opinion. But you may have a future in politics, you seem to have learned young, that if your opinion can not stand on its own merrit, attack those who oppose it.

I do not know Mr. Shelley, but I can assure you I will not be forming my opinions based on such incredulous post. Frankly the post you pointed out were far less offensive than your own.

Reminds me of the writter to Dear Abby,
"Anyone who writes to you is either a idiot or a fool" -- her response
"Which one are you?"

The point is, at your young age, it is not too late, to learn, not to be that which you despise.

Posted by frank, a resident of Pheasant Ridge
on May 18, 2009 at 5:48 pm

I completely agree with High School's comments and supporting back up to his original post.

Now, you folks piling on High School can accuse me of attacking Jerry Shelley and writing an incredulous post.

Posted by Classy, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 18, 2009 at 8:40 pm

Fine Frank,

Since you're having difficulty seeing why the following phrase is basically slander:

<Mr. Shelly's reputation was that he was an easy teacher who liked to make fun of the kids (see the rate my teachers website)>

...then jump on in the 'no class' category. You've got great company. "Ratemyteachers.com" is hardly an objective measure of teaching effectiveness.

Posted by frank, a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on May 18, 2009 at 10:09 pm

Ok, Classy, just read the documented quotes from Jerry Shelley's posts one more time and tell me that you agree with his accusations directed, in this case, to anonymous critics of his point of view. Tell me that since Jerry is not posting as an anonymous person that High School's posts are therefore slander, while Jerry gets away with far more because he simply directed his posts at anonymous critics.

Common sense says Jerry is really the guilty party here with his emotional charges against anyone who criticizes his position. That's not the kind of teacher in a taxpayer-paid classroom that I will support. It is simply conflict-of-interest of the most obvious kind, in my opinion. I choose to cut paying more taxes to pay the high total compensation packages for this kind of teacher.

If you don't agree with Jerry you are:

" very unhappy people who are frustrated with many issues in their lives"

"You community figure heads who make up things to make public gains "

"are just unhappy and not to fond of children"

Posted by High School, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 22, 2009 at 10:24 am

Thank you Frank. My point was always that I wouldn't want a teacher who made such negative comments about people who expressed a different viewpoint to be in a classroom. He didn't attack the viewpoints, he attacked the people who presented them. He also didn't present himself on the blogs as a community member, but as a former teacher.
Until facebook, myspace and twitter, ratemyteachers.com was the only forum students had to share their experiences with certain teachers. Many of the postings are very positive about the teachers and administrators students believed did a good job.
As for Cholo - you need to take your lithium every day for it to work.
I stand by my comments about Jerry Shelley. I'm glad I didn't have him for a teacher.

Posted by Great quote, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 22, 2009 at 1:53 pm

The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike then those who think differently. - Nietzsche

Posted by Did you even read the post?, a resident of Country Fair
on May 23, 2009 at 12:17 am

@ Me "If you did you would not be attacking Mr Shelley's right to express his opinion. But you may have a future in politics, you seem to have learned young, that if your opinion can not stand on its own merrit, attack those who oppose it."

This is exactly what High School said Mr. Shelley was doing - personally attacking those who didn't share his opinion (and provided direct quotes from Mr. Shelley's posts!)
Also, High School didn't attack Mr. Shelley - just said that he wouldn't want to have as a teacher a person who belittled those who didn't share his opinions and that Mr. Shelley provided no facts.

Posted by Beast Mode, a resident of Birdland
on May 23, 2009 at 11:04 pm

Mr Shelly was possibly my favorite teacher I ever had at Amador. He made my freshman year amazing

Posted by Stinky12, a resident of Avignon
on Oct 22, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Delbruck's molecular model, in its complete generality, seems to contain no hint as to how the hereditary substance works, Indeed, I do not expect that any detailed information on this question is likely to come from physics in the near may future. ,

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.