Digital TV transition just 30 days away

Original post made on May 12, 2009

With 30 days to go before the final June 12 digital television transition, representatives from the Federal Communications Commission are urging consumers to be ready for the change for over-the-air broadcast television.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, May 11, 2009, 4:54 PM

Posted by DTV Transition
a resident of Mohr Elementary School
on May 12, 2009 at 2:25 pm

FCC Public Service announcements and the Comcast web site claim that present cable TV customers need take no action for continued reception of existing cable service channels with an older style (Analog) TV.

I have already lost at least of the previously received channels on my older set and Comcast says I have to purchase a converter in order to restore past reception.

What's up with that?

Has anyone else had a similar experience with Comcast?

Posted by bad comcast
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on May 12, 2009 at 5:12 pm

I've lost some channels from comcast, but I don't use a converter box. I can't pick up much of anything with an antenna.

Posted by bad
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on May 12, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Can anyone get over the air signals here in Pleasanton? If you can, what kind of antenna do you use? I can't get anything.

Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on May 12, 2009 at 11:05 pm

Stacey is a registered user.

You're not going to be able to get analog (NTSC) over-the-air signals anywhere after June 12th. All the stations are switching to digital (ATSC). Many already have. You need a digital TV or an ATSC-to-NTSC converter box to get over-the-air.

Posted by bad
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on May 12, 2009 at 11:11 pm

I have a digital tuner. I can't get anything. Analog or digital.

Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on May 12, 2009 at 11:34 pm

Stacey is a registered user.

Hrm that's odd. Last I saw, the local Spanish stations are already broadcasting in digital.

Posted by Joe
on May 12, 2009 at 11:47 pm

No problem, just call Comcrap for one their "free" digital boxes and they got you covered. Of course, in a few months those "free" boxes are going to start costing.
Where is AT&T u-verse television ? Is the city putting up roadblocks...I can't get any info on a start-up.

Posted by Bill
a resident of Harvest Park Middle School
on May 13, 2009 at 9:11 am

If you have Comcast and the cable is hooked directly to a digital TV, you probably lost channels 38-66. Thanks Comcast which made sure Comcast Sports is not available except with their adapters. However, I did notice that the lost channels could be viewed on a digital set channels XX-X like 81-9(CSN), 81-6(TBS), and 90-10 (FX). More can be found by searching through the higher channels. These come in clear at 480i. I don't know if this will continue after June 12 but at least now I can watch Sports on my new digital set.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on May 13, 2009 at 1:57 pm

If you don't waste your time watching TV, you can spend more time online!

Posted by Bill
a resident of Harvest Park Middle School
on May 13, 2009 at 11:45 pm

Cholo must be a Comcast employee that wants you to join Comcast's slow network.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on May 14, 2009 at 12:16 pm

I'm RETIRED!

Posted by Tony
a resident of Livermore
on May 28, 2009 at 7:43 pm

Does anyone know where CSNCA (As baseball)is on a digital TV without a convertor box? CSNBA (Giants baseball) is on 81-6.

Thanks,