Regents raise UC tuition 9.3% for 2009-2010 school year

Original post made on May 8, 2009

The results of Thursday's University of California Board of Regents meeting in which the board voted in favor of student fee hikes and major salary increases for two new chancellors has drawn mixed reactions.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, May 8, 2009, 6:55 AM

Posted by MAD
a resident of another community
on May 8, 2009 at 11:27 pm

This is absolutely ridiculous. All these Chancellor and Presidents are making almost half a million dollars a year while I can barely afford rent and food. Why not cut 10% off their salaries instead? It's not they're gonna starve. I just feel sorry for the international students who gets the worse end of this deal with a $2000 increase.

Posted by Sonny
a resident of West of Foothill
on May 8, 2009 at 11:46 pm

You know, if you can't afford it----the world needs ditch diggers, too.

Posted by Mom of 4
a resident of Foothill High School
on May 9, 2009 at 10:38 am

It is crazy to hear these salaries.

I think out of state and international students should pay all of the increase and then some. While they pay much more than California residents UC tuition is considered a bargain compared to other states or countries. The families of most CA residents have been paying for the universities for generations and deserve the reduced fees. Raise the nonresident fees enough to discourage nonresident applicants and there will be more space for California student that can't get into our over impacted universities.

Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on May 9, 2009 at 10:40 am

Stacey is a registered user.

I agree with Mom of 4.

Posted by Resident
on May 9, 2009 at 1:56 pm

How do these regents get chosen? They obviously are not very competent. To approve two salaries of almost half a million dollars and at the same time raise student fees is simply ridiculous and fiscally irresponsible. Many of us have seen our kids' college funds go down. Some of us are lucky that college is still years away, and we have time for the college funds to turn around and put more into them, but many people are sending kids to college now, and the funds may be limited. Raising fees in the middle of a recession is not fiscally responsible, especially when they approve almost a million dollars for just 2 people's salaries.

Posted by Why?
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on May 9, 2009 at 2:02 pm

Why does it seem that college tuition inflation always outpaces general consumer inflation? Where is the money going? It applies to both public and private schools. CSU and community colleges are getting expensive too. Have to hope for scholarships. Our family college funds are way down. Where to turn?

Posted by they earn it
a resident of Vineyard Hills
on May 9, 2009 at 2:14 pm

"All these Chancellor and Presidents are making almost half a million dollars a year while I can barely afford rent and food. Why not cut 10% off their salaries instead? It's not they're gonna starve"

These people are qualified and earn it. These aren't charity jobs. They are competitive. You get what you pay for. Look at these bios.

Web Link
Web Link

These people could have their pick of jobs.

As to the fees. Take a look at Stanford, USC, or Santa Clara University tuition some time. California public schools are comparatively cheap.

Posted by So glad
on May 9, 2009 at 5:11 pm

Could not wait for my kids to get out of middle school

Then could not wait for my kids to get out of high school

Then could not wait for my 3 kids to get out of the liberal ghetto of the UCs here in CA (UCSD, UCLA, Cal Poly)

Then could not wait for my kids to get out of the grad schools in the UC here. (UCSD x2 and UCLA x1)

As of this May.....we are finally done. My youngest daughter graduates w/ her post graduate degree.

The professors count on the grad assistants (which all my kids were) to teach their class, do their research, and yet never willing to take a pay cut so cost of out kids education dos not go up. One actually reprimanded my eldest daughter for getting her grad duty research duties done so early. "Don't you know you are suppose to take a semester to get that done?"

I am very grateful they had the opportunity to be grad assistants, but so few people get whats going on in this state that it saddens me.

I actually HATE the educational system in this state.

Not sure when or if the people here will ever wake up, but I thank God and my kids hard work that we are done w/ all of it.
now if I can only convince my husband and kids to get out of this money grabbing state, I will really celebrate!

Posted by WTF
a resident of another community
on May 10, 2009 at 1:00 am

Ok, we're in a recession, the schools doesn't have enough money, so we take more money from the poor students to fill in the gap. Seems like a reasonable raise for a reasonable cause. Except only that gap is the 12% salary increase for someone who is already making 400,000 a year. Am I the only one seeing something wrong with this? It just portrays the idea that it is not worth going to college anymore, since the cost outweighs the benefits. For the people who object, you've obviously never been a poor college student or you were too dumb to make it to college.
To Sonny. Good advice Sonny, but I don't think people like your line of work. We're educated.

Posted by Paul
a resident of Bonde Ranch
on May 10, 2009 at 8:43 am

Why is anyone surprised as this is exactly what our teachers are doing here in town.

Posted by they earn it
a resident of Vineyard Hills
on May 10, 2009 at 11:19 am

@WTF

If your credentials look anywhere near as good as what those two who got raises have, then $400,000 wouldn't seem like a lot to you. Look at their resumes. They are out of my league.

Posted by Reasonable
a resident of another community
on May 21, 2009 at 6:01 pm

Their resumes are not the ONLY thing to be looking at here. As mentioned before, we are in, what's called the "r" word, a recession. It does not make sense to be OVERpaying these individuals who swear they want to change/improve the education system when they are already, by accepting high pay rates, doing the students in.

Posted by Donna
a resident of Del Prado
on May 21, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Well I am not asian so i could not get in there anyway.