Motorcyclilst killed, CHP officer 'shaken up' in separate accidents Monday on I-580

Original post made on Apr 21, 2009

A 33-year-old motorcyclist was killed and a California Highway Patrol officer "shaken up" in separate accidents yesterday in Interstate 580.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, April 20, 2009, 2:07 PM

Posted by Claudette McDermott, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Apr 21, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Both motorcycle accidents with Big Rigs....Sorry to hear that one cyclist did not survive. Cars let alone Large trucks don't always view motorcycles very easily when on the road and changing lanes. It is risky when you drive motorcycles or scooters on the roadways. On the other hand cyclists have a tendency to take chances and dart in and out and around traffic so quickly that other motorists don't have a chance to avoid hitting one when they change lanes. I think we all cyclists and motor vehicles alike need to use this as an example to try to be more careful, because our judgement calls good or bad can take precious lives. My condolences to the family of the cyclist who lost his life. I've driven a scooter for years and have had lots of close calls, even by just riding on the local streets at 35 mph.

Posted by Kellen, a resident of another community
on Apr 21, 2009 at 9:44 pm

I agree that some cyclists don't drive as cautiously as they should. Nobody is driving safe these days. People just don't drive safe these days. If the speed limit is 10, they go 20, if it's 70, people are flying by me going 90. I was driving on 580 heading East, after this accident happened. Traffic was slow, while motorcycle after motorcycle flew by in between cars/lanes. I don't think that this particluar accident was the fault of the cyclist. As we approached the scene, the Big Rig was inbetween the off ramp (going to 205/I-5) and 580, right at the exit. It was almost as if he was taking the exit, then darted back into 580. We encounter dangerous trucks all the time, especially on 205/I-5. They drive faster than they are supposed to, and change lanes unpredictably. Most of the time it's to either pass another truck/car or someone is murging onto the freeway and instead of adjusting their speed, they cut over to the next lane. This was a very trajic accident, and I had never seen such a thing. It was heart-wrenching and made me sick to my stomach. All we could do was pray for the family of the cyclist as we drove by. We are still thinking of them and praying for them.

Posted by Claudette McDermott, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Apr 23, 2009 at 10:47 am

Just yesterday I was on 680 in the fast land. It was 9:15 a.m. and the traffic was stop and go then as it got going again at normal speed it began to slow again. I began slowing too and all of a sudden it stopped short. I slammed on my brakes and was stopping in time and rolling to a slow when I glanced in my rear view mirror and saw a small green car coming at top speed and I started pulling to the shoulder to the left. A quick Side view mirror glance showed me that the car Just Missed me and I relaxed then was hit square in the back by another vehicle, a van. Dazzed and dizzy but grateful I wan not another fatality. Once you are in an accident you appreciate surviving it but I was very irritated that not one other vehicle stopped to see if we were OK.... People are just in TOO much a rush these days! Time to slow down and smell the Flowers. I fear for my children who are about to get their drivers licenses.

Posted by Joan Panetta, a resident of another community
on Apr 23, 2009 at 11:32 am

As a person whose child attends school with this mans young son, I know them. They are my neighbors. Shock? disbelief? heartbreak? you have no idea of all who know this man and his family are feeling. Anger at his life cut short at such a young age. They are wonderful people who know the meaning of family. This man was not a reckless man who took chances. He was simply put in the wrong place at the wrong time. Truck drivers take chances every day and do not care for any around them. They are in automatic in their thinking and must make it to their destination on time regardless of the cost even if means a life. I am very heart broken for Herb and his wife and children. His family meant the world to him and he to them. RIP Herb

Posted by be alert, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Apr 23, 2009 at 11:59 pm

Next time you are on the Interstate notice the difference in the driving habits of the long haulers vs the short haulers.

Short haulers - payed by the load. Get there, unload, and back on the road for another load. Long haulers - basically payed by the mile.

Which would you rather have behind, beside you.

Posted by SAM PHPC, a resident of another community
on Apr 24, 2009 at 8:42 pm

RIP HERB SAM K PURPLE HEART

Posted by , a resident of another community
on Apr 27, 2009 at 8:11 pm

A life took too young, he left behind a wife and 4 beautiful children. He lived a full life for being only 33 years old. He was a giving, kind and loving man. My condolences go out to his family - God be with all of you during these times of sorrow.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.