Gay Marriage

Original post made by Cara, Another Pleasanton neighborhood, on Apr 7, 2009

I'm not gay, though sometimes I wish I were. But anyway, I was thinking of that Gavin Newsom bit that anti-gay marriage groups were broadcasting over and over. Where he said something like--It's going to happen, whether you like it or not.
That's true. It IS going to happen. It's happening now. It's a slow trickle but more and more states are legalizing gay marriage. Before long gay marriage being illegal will be a thing of the past. Whether you like it or not.

Posted by Looking for a point
on Apr 7, 2009 at 1:27 pm

What was the point of your post? Would you like a cookie? I ask because it appears you're just trying to invite confrontation in hopes of passing the day e-arguing with people. Anyway, yes, same sex marriage isn't anything we should be afraid of. No reason to not make it legal.

Posted by unclehomerr..
on Apr 7, 2009 at 3:02 pm

No it's not...

unclehomerr..

Posted by unclehomerr..
on Apr 7, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Previous post wasn't clear, was it?

Let me try again.

"It's gonna happen whether you like it or not".
No it isn't.

"Same sex marriage isn't something of which we should be afraid".
Yes it is.

"No reason to not make it legal"!
Yes there is!
"Can you hear me now"?????

Let the e-arguments begin!!!

unclehomerr..

Posted by unclehomerr's gay lover
a resident of Golden Eagle
on Apr 7, 2009 at 3:43 pm

unclehomerr stop being such a silly goose and come back to bed.

Posted by Parent of Two
a resident of Val Vista
on Apr 7, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Parent of Two is a registered user.

Ahh, the blessings of an uncontrolled board....

Posted by PToWN94566
on Apr 7, 2009 at 7:00 pm

PToWN94566 is a registered user.

I think Cara had interesting words to say. Personally I've been thinking about this a lot over the past week since some of the states in the Midwest recently legalized it. I've also been relating some of my thoughts to current issues going on in our town. I'm not a home owner, but if I was, I wouldn't want to pay a parcel tax that was approved by the city. Be it I may of had to because of legal reasons, but where do citizens of a town think it's OK to tell a group of people how they can or cannot live? (It's not OK to do A event but you must participate in paying for B event.)

My question for people who strongly against gay marriage, what do you say to all the homosexual or incestuous acts that took place hundreds of years ago? Many of the great literary authors that your own high school students read in English were gay or bisexual. Many of the cultures that your students read about in their history classes were filled of Pharaohs, kings, and queens etc that engaged themselves in gay sexual affairs, or even worse, incestuous acts with their own family members. Granted some of these acts are detrimental than others, but history shows that gay lifestyle has been around for a very long time and doesn't intend on going anywhere. Last question, if you were out walking in downtown Pleasanton (children or no children), would you have the guts to go up to two men or two women kissing and tell them to stop it?

Posted by Cathy's Son
a resident of Mohr Park
on Apr 7, 2009 at 7:41 pm

Cara,

I, too, found your post...shall we say, intriguing?

What makes you say you wish you were gay? Also, are you hot? And do you have any pictures?

Posted by Mulva
on Apr 7, 2009 at 8:44 pm

It is heterosexual married couples who produce gay offspring who are not allowed to marry in California. I think we should do something about these married people who are giving birth to citizens not entitled to the rights of the majority. Should these marriages be allowed to continue? Look what they produce! Subhumans!

Posted by unclehomerr..
on Apr 7, 2009 at 11:28 pm

I yell at jaywalkers downtown and tell them they're setting a bad example 'for the children'. Most of them [and many have a child by the hand or in their arms] say.. "Thanks. I never thought of it that way"!!

It seems to be working.. I see a lot fewer jaywalkers!

Try it with the same sex kissers or hand holders. I'll bet they'd appreciate the reminder.

unclehomerr..

Posted by PToWN94566
on Apr 8, 2009 at 10:49 am

PToWN94566 is a registered user.

Mulva,

If you're insinuating that gay and lesbian people are subhuman, then you have a lot to learn in life.

Posted by Mulva
on Apr 8, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Oh my. What is the word for my post--sarcastic? Ironic?

Posted by julie
on Apr 8, 2009 at 5:45 pm

julie is a registered user.

unclehomerr:

It seems to be working.. I see a lot fewer jaywalkers!

Appreciate what reminder?? It's illegal to jaywalk. It is not illegal to kiss or hold hands in public - regardless of whether or not you are homo- or heterosexual! I'm sure all of Pleasanton thanks you for single-handedly solving the horrible problem of jaywalking. Honestly, that's not the response you would get from me if you yelled at me! I can't write what I would say back...

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Apr 12, 2009 at 5:26 pm

[Post removed due to disrespectful comment or offensive language]

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Castlewood
on Apr 13, 2009 at 10:19 am

[Post removed due to disrespectful comment or offensive language]

Posted by Mr M
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Apr 13, 2009 at 6:18 pm

Good. I'm a gay guy living in Pleasanton. I'm single and available. Anyone want to get married? : )

Posted by ?
on Apr 14, 2009 at 8:29 am

To clearify, were you referring to same sex people kissing briefly saying hello or goodbye, or are you talking about two same sex people "making out on a park bench"? Your question is not fair. There is a huge difference regardless of gender?
How can anyone compare an illegal activity like jay-walking to a same sex relationship? That is very offensive! Gay marriage is not accepted as a legal contract, but is definately NOT against the law and surely endangers NOBODY! Let keep things in perspective.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Apr 14, 2009 at 9:46 am

Please learn to spell. thank you...

Posted by hello
on Apr 14, 2009 at 11:46 am

Who elected you to be the spelling police?

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Beratlis Place
on Apr 14, 2009 at 1:43 pm

It's soooooo much fun, wanna share the job? tee hee hee, tee hee hee...

Posted by hello
on Apr 14, 2009 at 2:25 pm

You do seem to be in a much better mood today, and polite I must say. Isn't it so much nicer when we can all just get along!

Posted by AVHS Dad
a resident of Stoneridge Park
on Apr 21, 2009 at 3:00 pm

AVHS Dad is a registered user.

@hello: That's because Cholo's nasty posts got deleted (note above).

70 years ago it was illegal in most states for people of Asian ancestry to marry white people. It wasn't until about 45 years ago that those few laws that were left were overturned by the US Supreme Court. The same arguments against those marriages then are being dusted off and used against gay marriage now. Why are so many people worried about who loves each other?

How about a dose of realism? Marriage changes people. My wife is not the same person I dated. (I actually like her better!) That certificate changes people. Expect it! Enjoy it!