Question for Ms. Reugsegger

Original post made by More Questions, Amador Valley High School, on Apr 2, 2009

You mention a bit about yourself - former board member. Are you not also listed as the Administrative Assistant to the superintendent in the Palo Alto School District? In your administrative job do you receive a car allowance? Research shows that Palo Alto has a parcel tax which, as an administrative employee, I am sure you support. Final question - how can you support a parcel tax for the school district where you are an administrative employee and be so obviously against for the community in which you live? Talk about a double standard.

Posted by never a parcel tax
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Apr 2, 2009 at 11:56 am

Talk about a bunch of stupid assumptions!
"Palo Alto has a parcel tax which, as an administrative employee, I am sure you support." Where do you get off telling people what she supports? How about asking her?
Have a little interest in making fair and honest observations rather than trying to throw fuel onto the flames with assumptions and statements that you have NO way to know are true.
NO PARCEL TAX

Posted by Kathleen
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Apr 2, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Kathleen is a registered user.

Clearly I don't reside where I work, so my support and opinion was never sought. I do not receive a car allowance.

I am not against a parcel tax for Pleasanton; I am against this parcel tax for all the issues I raised on the other thread. I would be happy to work for a parcel tax, no matter the amount, under the right circumstances.

Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Apr 2, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Stacey is a registered user.

More Questions,

I see that you are trying to cognitively deal with the idea that such a pro-education person can be against Measure G. Certainly it must be confusing since the anti-Measure G crowd is being characterized as anti-education, anti-teacher, and anti-kids. I wonder how you would respond to any PUSD teacher if they came out against Measure G.

If the anti-Measure G group is anti-education, could we say then that the pro-Measure G group is anti-taxpayers, anti-fiscal responsibility, anti-property owner? I better stop myself. That's starting to sound like the buffoons who got us into this economic mess.

Posted by John
on Apr 2, 2009 at 12:41 pm

I completely agree with Kathleen....I would also happily work for a parcel tax under the right circumstances at the right time.
The circumstances today don't warrant a parcel tax...they do however point out the need for PUSD administrators to use our tax dollars responsibly.

Posted by Parent of Two
a resident of Val Vista
on Apr 2, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Parent of Two is a registered user.

Wow, just... wow.

Amazing how asking a few simple, yet unanswered questions about the Parcel Tax has riled up someone to investigate a registered user's background and job history.

Perhaps if "more questions" would use the internet to investigate some of the misuses of Pleasanton school funds, he/she wouldn't be so quick to cast aspersions and judgments based on assumptions.

Posted by John
on Apr 2, 2009 at 1:13 pm

What's truly amazing is how "More Questions" doesn't choose to ask PUSD about their spending!
How do you think I know about the $100 THOUSAND DOLLAR ERROR made by PUSD regarding the Foothill solar panels? I heard the School Board vote to spend that money to fix an admitted PUSD error.
How do you think I know about the $120 THOUSAND DOLLAR PER YEAR CAR ALLOWANCES? I pulled budgets and started asking questions.
How do you think I know about the $150 THOUSAND DOLLAR PER YEAR CELL PHONE BILLS? I pulled budgets and started asking questions.

PUSD doesn't like the taxpayers asking questions...they prefer the taxpayers who take what they choose to tell taxpayers as gospel.

Those opposed to the parcel tax of which I am proud to say I am one, are opposed because we stopped listening to the emotional rhetoric spewed by SOS and PUSD and started relying on facts.

I don't believe PUSD has been good stewards of the taxpayers' money and I know this because I chose to do the necessary research.

Speaking of research, it is NOT TRUE that car allowances are being discontinued.

Dr. Casey has volunteered to give up $250 of his $1,000 per month car allowance for a whopping total of $750 a year. He lives within walking distance of the PUSD offices.

I know this because I made some calls and asked....please call PUSD or the School Board and you can confirm this.

I certainly realize that discovering PUSD hasn't been spending taxpayers' money wisely is disturbing. It's a lot more comfortable to not ask questions.

But we all owe it to our children to be sure that the money we give our schools supports educational programs and teachers - not administrator's lifestyles.

So please, don't assume - ask questions, it's your right, it's your responsibility.

Posted by John
on Apr 2, 2009 at 1:51 pm

correction - $750 for the remaining months of this school year.
Do not yet know if Dr. Casey is willing to give up $250 a month for the remainder of his PUSD employment contract which is over June 2010. But will ask!

Posted by June
a resident of Alisal Elementary School
on Apr 2, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Didnt the district get into a big lawsuit over the Neal Elementary School that lost millions of taxpayer dollars? That makes the outrageous car allowances and token two-day per school year teacher furlough look pretty weak by comparison. Most private sector employees, if they are still lucky to have a job, have either had their salary cut between 10-20 percent or have a mandatory two day furlough every single month. I dont teach children, but I do have an advanced degree and work for a biotech company that makes drugs for cancer relief. Working 12 months a year, I still make less money than a teacher in Pleasanton.

Posted by Kathleen
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Apr 2, 2009 at 4:54 pm

Kathleen is a registered user.

To the Editors: I posted another thread earlier today. Not surprisingly, it is now blocked to input from the community unless you are registered with the Weekly. Oddly, this thread that was begun asking questions of a personal nature about me, by name, remains wide open. Does the Weekly really want to leave the impression it is willing to shut down a conversation about an upcoming election, but leave blogs open about a specific individual?

To be clear, I have no problem with this thread remaining open; I will respond as best as I can where warranted. However, I would like to understand why the first thread also cannot remain open. Why is this conversation being stifled? I have stepped forward on this topic because it is vital to the community discourse; please let others have the same opportunity to speak freely regardless of their position on Measure G.

Posted by never a parcel tax
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Apr 2, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Kathleen, Jeb has blocked the other thread because you made a clear and compelling argument against an unjustified parcel tax. We know where he gets his marching orders and it is from such as the PUSD and the chamber to name only two. It is despicable that he would allow a thread to remain open to all when it specifically targets you and your ideas personally, while closing a thread that rationally discusses the tax that he clearly supports. Once again our Pleasanton Very Weakly is using less than honest measures to stifle an opinion they do not support.

Posted by resident
on Apr 2, 2009 at 6:07 pm

Actions speak louder than words, don't they?

Posted by John
on Apr 2, 2009 at 7:21 pm

To Jeb & PW Staff,
Please read the topic "What a Journalist has to say about reporting responsibly."

Posted by John
on Apr 2, 2009 at 7:35 pm

Here's the original posting by Ms. Reugsegger which has since been closed off for free discussion by the Pleasanton Weekly. Only registered users can now comment on the posting.

I am a former board member who has been watching the parcel tax issue. I decided to email the current board about the state of the district reserves. I was surprised by the response from one member. Here is my open response, with a cc to the community.

There is no direct reply to my original question of why the goal of a seven percent reserve was abandoned—a reserve that would buy the community time now to evaluate what really has been happening with the district's budget and how best to find long-term solutions. While the issues at the state level compound the district's problems, the response is an apparent abdication of responsibility for previous decisions that brought the district to this point.

Your question of why shouldn't the community decide about restoring programs on the chopping block, though, leads to many of my own.

Why have suggestions other than a parcel tax been ignored?

Why were teachers and principals not surveyed for their ideas of what could be cut (not what they would personally give up)?

Why was a survey not used to ask the community about what they support? Wouldn't that be less expensive and less risky than an election to ask the same question?

Why doesn't the ballot language or the accompanying resolution specifically state what it will save (# teachers, # counselors, etc.)?

Why doesn't the ballot language indicate that no one will receive a raise during the life of the parcel tax? Couldn't this be a better approach than asking for concessions from the unions? This would have made a smaller (less than $233) two- or three-year parcel tax easier to pass, allowing plenty of time to seek more permanent solutions without a heavier burden for tax payers in the current economy.

Are board members and staff preparing more than one plan for what will happen if the tax does not pass?

Why is the election in June and not May (nearly twice as expensive)?

It has been suggested the one-item June election is an attempt to keep opposition voters out of the booth. If most Pleasanton voters use absentee ballots, wouldn't this suggest that those who oppose the parcel tax will vote and that this additional cost is more money wasted?

How does it make sense to consistently spend more money (taxpayer dollars) to ask the taxpayer to provide more funding?

To respond to your other points:

Every one of the remaining days before June 2 is a just another campaign day—there has not been a sincere two-way conversation yet, only a drive from the position in favor of the tax.

There was not much listening at the meetings. Those who spoke in opposition were admonished for their efforts to seek additional time and a different approach. The sacrifice by the union is appreciated, but may not have been necessary as noted above.

Cutting class size reduction was the heaviest emotional hammer in the district's toolbox, so I don't agree the community/media endorsements have any real value to the voter.

Contrary to what seems to have been implied, I am very concerned for the 50% of my former co-workers losing their jobs, and I am equally upset for the dedicated teachers and classified staff members who find themselves in the same position. I'm also quite aware this tax isn't for building reserves, which means the district still does not have a plan for ever achieving it's stated goal.

The question remains—what happened to that goal for reserves? The answer points to money being spent with no regard for economic uncertainty and that this is the sole reason for the pink slips that were given throughout the district.

Saying it is "just 64 cents per day for four years" is how you don't say it is $18.4 million dollars. Is the presumption you mention one about the voters not figuring that out?

I appreciate the dialog and look forward to your response.

Posted by Jeb Bing
editor of the Pleasanton Weekly
on Apr 3, 2009 at 7:47 am

Jeb Bing is a registered user.

Just a reminder that we are restricting all posts related to the June 2 parcel tax measure to registered users of the Pleasanton Weekly Town Square forum. We have found that this keeps the conversations more civil and focused without any restriction on what posters say or the opinions they express.

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Prop 46: Two Bridges Too Far
By Tom Cushing | 22 comments | 2,157 views

The valley loses a distinguished and humble leader

My secret identity is revealed!
By Roz Rogoff | 2 comments | 1,169 views