Does anybody know what happened to the 'barefoot bicycle guy'?

Original post made by Curious on Mar 31, 2009

I realized the other day I haven't seen him in some time. Does anybody know what happened to him? I think his name was Patrick, he was older, he rode his bike everywhere barefoot and shirtless and he was super tan. Long time P-ton residents have to know whom I'm talking about, he was hard to miss.

Posted by Another Gatetree Resident, a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Mar 31, 2009 at 4:54 pm

We've always tended to see less of Patrick in the winter, but I too was wondering about him the other day. Any word?

Posted by Another Gatetree Resident, a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Mar 31, 2009 at 4:57 pm

BTW, Patrick was voted "Best Local Character" in Pleasanton's 2000 Best Of...

Read about him here: Web Link

Does anyone at the PW know about Patrick these days? Here's your chance to do some REAL reporting. Yaknow? A story that's not slanted...one people are interested in.

Posted by Grace, a resident of Highland Oaks
on Mar 31, 2009 at 6:26 pm

Yes, it's been quite a while since I've seen him, come to think of it. While I enjoyed seeing him around town, getting fresh air and exercise, I also worried about that deep, deep tan and hoped that he was wearing some sun protection to keep skin cancer at bay.

Posted by Cathy, a resident of Bonde Ranch
on Mar 31, 2009 at 10:42 pm

Does anyone know what happened to Rose who used to sleep at Safeway?

Posted by Jerry, a resident of Oak Hill
on Mar 31, 2009 at 11:22 pm

Is Rose the elderly lady with the shopping cart that "lived" in the bus stop shelter on Valley, across from Walgreens?

Posted by Steve Rosefield, a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Apr 1, 2009 at 1:23 am

How funny to open the forum and see this posting. Patrick is my next door neighbor. Although he is not riding anymore he can be found most afternoons taking a walk through our neighborhood and enjoying the sunshine.

My wife and I are extremely active cyclists and when we first moved into the neighborhood someone pointed out Patrick and said "oh, you must know Patrick everyone knows Patrick he rides his bike everywhere." He was not riding by the time we moved in, so I kind of dismissed the discussion, even though I had similar conversations with several of my new neighbors. I guess the stories were all true!

I will tell him of this enquiry. I am sure he will get a kick out of being fondly remembered as a local character. After all, we are a community of characters, right? It says so right in the pamphlet ;-)

Posted by Another Gatetree Resident, a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Apr 1, 2009 at 6:10 am

Steve -- Thanks for the update on Patrick! I too live in Pleasanton Valley, but didn't know he was a "kinda" neighbor!

Please let him know some of us do think of him and smile warmly at the memories.

Posted by Stacey, a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Apr 1, 2009 at 8:12 am

Stacey is a registered user.

Steve wrote: "After all, we are a community of characters, right?"

Someone who sees it like I do! Yay!

Posted by Steve Rosefield, a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Apr 1, 2009 at 8:23 am

Speaking of characters was that last posting from the extremely cynical faux Stacy? Or the extremely cynical, but always exceptionally well prepared to back her well thought out point and officially "registered" Stacy? ;-)

Posted by Steve Rosefield, a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Apr 1, 2009 at 8:29 am

And can I buy a vowel? How about an E.

(In other words, sorry for the misspelling!)

Posted by mac, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Apr 1, 2009 at 8:38 am

We, too, have long missed seeing our local barefoot, shirtless, clean-shaven and bronzed man riding around town. I'm pleased to hear he's fine, though retired from biking.

For your infor...we have a replacement! Just 2 years ago we witnessed a younger, almost identical version of Steve riding around Del Prado and the Gene's strip mall, etc. Down to the same features of no shirt, barefoot, shirtless and oh so bronzed. He appears to be in his 50's (?) and may live along Hansen Drive. It caught us all by surprise to see such a similar(I mean we couldnt' tell them apart, save the age) 'character' biking about!

An imposter? No...more likely someone who enjoyed that free-spirited approach.

Posted by Curious, a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Apr 1, 2009 at 10:58 am

Thank You for the update on Patrick, glad to know he is doing well! We do miss seeing him cycling around.

For the person who asked about Rose, I believe she passed away a few years back.

Posted by Nicole, a resident of Del Prado
on Apr 1, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Happy to hear the update on Patrick, however sad to hear about "Rose". My daughter used to have me buy an extra burrito for her to give to "Rose". One day we just stopped seeing her.

Posted by momja, a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Apr 1, 2009 at 4:08 pm

I too was wondering about the bicyclist...my kids are big now, but when they were smaller they would always refer to him as "the naked bicycle dude"....haha, Steve, be sure to share that with him too since he has a sense of humor :) Good to know he is fine. I'll be on the lookout for the new 'naked dude'!

Posted by lee, a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Apr 2, 2009 at 9:55 am

I'm sorry to hear about Rose....I used to work in a hair salon on Santa Rita and would shampoo her hair occasionally. I've wondered what ever happened to her...This was 12 or so years ago..

Posted by unclehomerr.., a resident of Downtown
on Apr 2, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Not so re: Rose.

Last I heard, 4-5 years ago, her family moved her into an assisted living/group home in Oakland. Haven't heard anything else since.

unclehomerr..

Posted by I'm Smiling:-), a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Apr 2, 2009 at 4:35 pm

What a delightfully, lighthearted post this was to read!! I've lived in Pleasanton all my life (37 years), and I'm now raising my family here as well! Patrick was often a dinner table discussion. I'm very happy he's well!! My folks also used to pack groceries for Rose as well. In light of the recent "downer" topics on the PW forum this was very refreshing to read. We need more posts like this:-)

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.