Authorities recall Northern California eggs after salmonella found

Original post made on Mar 24, 2009

Health authorities on Monday announced a recall of organic eggs sold at popular Northern California grocery stores that could possibly be
contaminated with the salmonella virus.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 4:08 PM

Posted by Be Careful, a resident of Vineyard Hills
on Mar 24, 2009 at 4:57 pm

trust me, you don't want salmonella. I got it many years ago from egg product and it is really bad. When a county health person called me, as they must when a doctor diagnoses salmonella, she informed me then that most eggs in CA have salmonella and it's best not to eat raw or undercooked eggs, ever. I know, we've all eaten cookie dough for years, but not me, not any more. Salmonella leaves you very sick and weak for quite some time.

Posted by Qwerty, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 30, 2009 at 9:15 am

Wonderful, just wonderful! We can't eat beef because of "mad cow", nor chicken because of "bird flu" or spinach or nuts because of various bacteria and now eggs too? What's next?
Or should I say what's left? Living on gatorade?

Posted by Resident, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 30, 2009 at 9:45 am

All you have to do is cook the eggs well and that will kill the salmonella. Everyone knows that raw eggs are to be handled safely - hand washing, properly cooked. I always assume the eggs I buy have salmonella.

Unlike mad cow (which you cannot get rid of even with proper cooking), salmonella is taken care of by proper hygiene and cooking.

Posted by Resident, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 30, 2009 at 9:46 am

Posted by commenter, a resident of Downtown
on Mar 30, 2009 at 5:10 pm

man is nothing safe to eat these days?

Posted by Qwerty, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 31, 2009 at 11:26 am

to "Commenter".

Nope, these days there's hardly anything left that hasn't been cited for some kind of problem or another. Manna better start falling from heaven or we will have nothing left to eat.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.