editorials call for teachers to sacrifice

Original post made by Sandy Piderit, Mohr Park, on Mar 15, 2009

Tim Hunt's column for the Bay Area News Group chastised teachers unions for their posturing this week. Read it for yourself, here:

This story contains 525 words.

If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.

If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.

Like this comment
Posted by Liz
on Mar 15, 2009 at 11:18 am

Tim Hunts position surprised me, his wife is a teacher in the district that is immune to a lay off. It is good the see his support for real administrative and union concessions.

The negotiations with the unions should have been done before going to the community for a parcel tax, the opportunity was there.

The community has not seen the administration demonstrating real cuts, more vacation days don't count. They should be doing something immediately and not waiting until the next budget. In fact, administration raises could be rolled back today. Every dollar cut this year gives more money available for next year.

We all support our teachers, and if reasonable cuts and concessions are made we do not need a parcel tax to keep teachers jobs and maintain valued programs.

Like this comment
Posted by caveat emptor
on Mar 15, 2009 at 11:32 am

I am convinced that, while there are some people (like Sandy) who are trying to educate the public and have meaningful dialogue here, there are 10-15 other people who continually post on this thing (using a variety of fake names) and their goal is to spread their personal agendas, misinformation, and propaganda .

If you are looking for information with integrity, look at the people who post using their FULL names... like Sandy :)

Like this comment
Posted by Carl
a resident of Del Prado
on Mar 15, 2009 at 11:45 am

caveat emptor - Does this mean your post has no integrity?

Like this comment
Posted by Sandy
a resident of Mohr Park
on Mar 15, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Could someone please quantify for me the amount of administrative raises that were given last summer? Or point me in the right direction so I can track down the numbers on my own?

I can't details anywhere, even in the archives of the Pleasanton Weekly.

Like this comment
Posted by caveat emptor
on Mar 15, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Touché, Carl. Should've seen that coming :)

Just advising not to believe the "facts" that are being presented by anonymous people. For all you know, I could be a disgruntled parent with an axe to grind against the district that has nothing to do with the parcel tax issue...or I could be someone claiming to be a teacher who isn't... or I could just be a bored teenager.

Like this comment
Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Mar 15, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Using a writer's moniker as a method by which to evaluate the credibility of data is not reliable. Anyone can print outright lies and use their full names and that doesn't make the information any more reliable than someone writing under the name "caveat emptor." A better measure of credibility is in how the author forms their argument. Do they provide third-party supporting evidence? Is that evidence from a well-known reliable source? Etc...

While I respect Sandy's interpretation of the situation and I don't agree with cutting teacher pay, I don't see how salary increases (via step and column) during this year can be justified. Teachers work hard, but so does everyone else.

Like this comment
Posted by Jeb Bing
editor of the Pleasanton Weekly
on Mar 15, 2009 at 9:45 pm

Jeb Bing is a registered user.

We're intentionally giving topics pertaining to the June 2 parcel tax measure and teacher layoffs a rest because the postings have become repetitive and, in some instances, accusatory and hurtful to teachers and other employees of the school district who are unable to respond to postings, most of which are made under the cloak of anonymity. The postings online will remain, but future postings to these threads or new ones dealing with teacher layoffs and the parcel tax can be made only by registered users of the Pleasanton Weekly forum.

Like this comment
Posted by Please wait patiently
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Mar 15, 2009 at 9:53 pm

Can you all just wait till the "union sings"? Let's see what they provide as willingness to help this situation. Did you expect the teachers union to act first before the state and the community? Why should they? I suspect with the people we have employed here they will rise to the challenge and work with the district.

Like this comment
Posted by Sandy
a resident of Mohr Park
on Mar 16, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Sandy is a registered user.

Stacey, I agree that it seems difficult to justify step and column increases this year in the court of public opinion. While I hope the teachers will show some willingness to offer concessions, I don't have a firm preference about what form the concessions take. If they are willing to take fewer paid nonstudent days, or fewer staff development days, instead of freezing step and column, I will still take that as a tangible sign of good faith.

And "Please wait patiently" -- I agree, waiting for a few weeks seems quite reasonable. The state budget was finalized less than one month ago!

If Liz or anyone else has information about how/when the administrative raises occurred last summer, and does not want to register, you could email me your information. My email is my last name (Piderit) at mac dot com.

To post your comment, please login or register at the top of the page. This topic is only for those who have signed up to participate by providing their email address and establishing a screen name.

Changing my Registration for Bernie
By Roz Rogoff | 90 comments | 1,260 views

Conjecture Madness
By Tom Cushing | 4 comments | 511 views

Celebrating a long overdue groundbreaking

So You Are Planning on a Career in Law? Read on!
By Elizabeth LaScala | 2 comments | 372 views