IN SPITE of existing parcel tax, Dublin increases class sizes

Original post made by Ruby D, Another Pleasanton neighborhood, on Mar 13, 2009

This is information provided on PUSD FAQs page:

Which districts around us receive funding from a parcel tax? How much is it, and what do they use it for?
Dublin: $96/parcel; through November 2013; to support high academic achievement in math, science, reading, writing, and technology, attract and retain highly qualified teachers, maintain small class sizes, and provide ongoing teacher training
Wording appears similarly vague as our parcel tax language, yes?

Now this from yesterday's paper:
Web Link

"The cuts for 2009-10 were grouped into five categories, with the first four totaling $1.8 million. They include $300,000 by increasing kindergarten classes to 21 and first- through third-grade class sizes to 25, with the average pupil-to-teacher ratio expected to be 23-to-1. Currently those classes average 19.5 students per class, according to the district. Ninth-grade math and English class sizes will increase to an average of 25, saving the district $90,000."
and
"Teachers, nonteaching staff and district leaders were given a total of three days of cuts, with each day saving $148,000, $25,000 and $17,000 respectively."
--------

What Dublin is doing does not sound so "devastating." as PUSD has described. Why did PUSD not consider similar reductions in order to avoid a parcel tax and the associated costs? I hope administrators will let the community know how much similar changes in CSR would save Pleasanton---before June 2.

Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Mar 13, 2009 at 3:35 pm

As I wrote in another thread, the wording of Measure G does not guarantee CSR as it is now, with a 20:1 ratio in all 5 grades K-3 and 9th.

It looks like what Dublin is doing is taking advantage of changes in State rules to the CSR program so that they don't lose the program funding all together.

Posted by KGB
a resident of Apperson Ridge
on Mar 13, 2009 at 8:43 pm

Talk about a double dip.

Posted by parent
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Mar 14, 2009 at 1:27 am

If Dublin can do it to save money, why can't PUSD? We will still lose some teachers but not the emotional masses of this week.

Yes to fiscal responsibility
No to parcel tax

Posted by shelly
on Mar 14, 2009 at 12:18 pm

No NO NO NO to a parcel tax....I will not add anything to my property tax regardless of property value. Some of us simply can't afford another dollar. I'm just trying to keep my house right now. I like living here and believe the teachers are wonderful so a few more kids in their class won't make them any less of a teacher. I think the district should reach out to the parents to help the classroom teacher with sevice rather than dollar.We talk about the kids and the tax will help them but we forget how some of us struggle to live in Pleasanton and we want to raise our kids here but I live on every dollar I make and not a penny do I have extra. Some people can buy a pair of jeans for the amount the parcel tax is and some of us could never!!! I got a pay decrease this month and to add that to a raise in my taxes will most likely force me to lose my house. Please vote no!!!

Posted by Vince + 4
a resident of Highland Oaks
on Mar 14, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Shelly: I hear you. I agree with you. I now others who are struggling too. But even if you could afford it,I'd still encourage you to vote NO for all the reasons the No people have posted on this blog and other blogs. Become familiar with those "other" reasons. People who want this to pass could give a _ _ _ _ about your situation. You will be dismissed. They care only about their own agenda regardless how noble and sincere it may be. VOTE NO ON TAX PARCEL

Posted by Julie
on Mar 14, 2009 at 10:58 pm

Julie is a registered user.

I work at a school in Dublin where 10 teachers received pink slips. My daughter's teacher implied that if I support a parcel tax she would keep her job. Well, Dublin already has a parcel tax.........

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Not Endorsements
By Roz Rogoff | 9 comments | 1,208 views

A second half of life exceptionally well lived
By Tim Hunt | 1 comment | 629 views