Firecrackers/fireworks in the middle of the night?

Original post made by Sleepy on Mar 9, 2009

Two nights out of the past few, I've been awakened in the middle of the night by the sound of loud firecrackers going off. Last night, I got up when awakened and looked at the window at 2:15am and saw red and white fireworks in the vicinity of Sierrawood and Highland Oaks, either from someone's backyard or the area around Lydiksen school. Is there some religious/ethnic holiday going on this week, or is someone with insomnia just trying to wake others up? Thank goodness the ground is still pretty damp.

Anyone else hear/see this?

Posted by duh!, a resident of Birdland
on Mar 9, 2009 at 3:07 pm

"Is there some religious/ethnic holiday going on this week?"

It's probably an early celebration of St. Patty's Day!

Posted by Sam, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 9, 2009 at 4:04 pm

lol

Posted by Emily West, Pleasanton Weekly reporter
on Mar 9, 2009 at 4:11 pm

Emily West is a registered user.

Police records said they weren't aware of any incidents. You can always call police if you hear the noises again, 931-5100.

Posted by Steve, a resident of Highland Oaks
on Mar 9, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Sleepy,

I live in Highland Oaks and woke up too. It was right around 2:30AM last night. For the record, I immediately called the Pleasanton Police who said they would send a patrol car. Emily, can you please double check to see if the police have a record of this? Maybe they'll send Grissom and the CSI crew to follow the evidence. Kidding but sure would be nice to catch these punks.

Posted by PToWN94566, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 9, 2009 at 9:50 pm

PToWN94566 is a registered user.

It's probably just teenagers or early 20's people. I use to work at Lydiksen and during the summer the playground slide was torched and had melted and other days we would find beer bottles and can's littered all over the grass. I live over by Safeway and I've noticed that the aquatic park grass has tire marks in it from someone doing doughnuts.

Posted by Sleepy, a resident of Highland Oaks
on Mar 9, 2009 at 10:03 pm

Ha ha on the St. Patrick's day funny. But 9 days before is even a bit early for the hardiest of celebrants. Thanks for the verification, Steve. I imagine that every dog within a three block radius must have woken up and started pacing or howling at the sound, so I know that the owners must have known something was up. I thought about calling the police, but figured it would be over by the time they got there. If it happens again, I will call. I appreciate the feedback.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Mar 9, 2009 at 11:15 pm

lock 'em up and throw away the keys!

Posted by unclehomerr.., a resident of Downtown
on Mar 9, 2009 at 11:31 pm

I don't know what the problem is?? I've always been a fan of fireworks in the middle of the night! Unfortunately, I'm getting to the age where there aren't many, anymore! Maybe I need to move, eh??

unclehomerr..

Posted by spoiled, a resident of Birdland
on Mar 10, 2009 at 12:47 am

I used to live right next to the Potrero Hills housing projects in San Francisco. Fireworks and gun shots were heard almost every night. What's the big deal with a couple of firecrackers???

Posted by It was me, a resident of Highland Oaks
on Mar 10, 2009 at 8:56 am

BANG, BANG, BANG, CRACK, CRACK, CRACK, CRACK, POP.....

Posted by Lighten Up, a resident of Highland Oaks
on Mar 10, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Big Deal...leave the kids alone, it's just fireworks. We don't need to call the police for every little thing in this town!

Posted by Another Gatetree Resident, a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Mar 10, 2009 at 2:15 pm

When one of these "kids" causes a fire with their "fun," I bet those saying "We don't need to call the police for every little thing in this town" will think differently. Especially when their home is affected.

Posted by Lighten up, a resident of Highland Oaks
on Mar 10, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Oh, I forgot...kids have to be perfect stepford kids in this town. Call the Police..hurry!

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Mar 10, 2009 at 4:45 pm

The "Cholo" entry re: lock...throw away the keys...is not mine...it was posted by another Cholo wannabe.

Posted by Qwerty, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 10, 2009 at 10:01 pm

It is nice that the Pleasanton PD is responsive, but people are taking 911 calls way too far. An officer friend of mine from another PD told me they once got a call from a guy who said he was worried because he "hadn't been able to do a #2 in several days". Umm, sir, perhaps you should call your physician. Actually they get a lot of dumb calls like this...

Posted by Steve, a resident of Highland Oaks
on Mar 10, 2009 at 10:43 pm

Sorry guys but disturbing the peace and lighting off fireworks are crimes. When crimes occur or situations are very suspicious (such as a drunk driver), I call the cops. Besides causing damage to property, the idiots lighting fireworks off could actually hurt themselves. Also, I do not call 911. I call the Pleasanton Police Department. They can choose to handle this situation in a way they see fit.

Posted by Steve, a resident of Kottinger Ranch
on Mar 10, 2009 at 11:07 pm

True, don't call 911.

Sounds funny, but I've programmed 931-5100 as a speed dial on my cell phone. I ask them if they have someone around can they send someone by for this or that. They're real nice about swinging by to keep things orderly.

Oh man, I'm getting old, did I just type that..

Posted by Tired, a resident of Highland Oaks
on Mar 11, 2009 at 8:39 am

I heard it too and quite frankly it's annoying and I'm pretty sure unsafe. Loud screaming firecrackers joud enough to wake up my kids is going too far. A blazing fire that the fireworks could cause would also be pretty terrible. In hindsight I should've called the PD, so I'm glad someone did-the non-emergency line of course. Since when is wanting sleep on a weeknight off-limits to some of you?

Posted by Gen, a resident of Kottinger Ranch
on Mar 11, 2009 at 8:58 am

They should find the kids then make them help clean up after a fire/or something similar. Something to teach them why the community is upset. Their not criminals they are stupid kids trying to impress each other. Im sure if we all looked at our Children we would be surprised at things they may have done. Or if we remember when we were kids the stupid things we learned from.

Posted by Claudette McDermott, a resident of Del Prado
on Mar 11, 2009 at 6:09 pm

I like that idea Steve :) Programing the Police Department Non-emergency 931-5100 as a speed dial is a good idea for community members to keep things under control, when you see or hear something that should not be happening. It's also a great way for the police department to gather statistics, so they can see if there is a trend of what ever is reported.

Posted by Concerned resident, a resident of Highland Oaks
on Mar 11, 2009 at 6:12 pm

Fireworks are illegal in Pleasanton and that is why the law should be called. I don't care who says it is stupid and just let it be because those of us who live in the area where this is happening are annoyed by it. I work too hard during the day for my sleep to be disturbed during the evening by those adults or teenagers who feel they are bored and yearn for attention or just for enjoyment.

Posted by Member, a resident of Lydiksen Elementary School
on Mar 11, 2009 at 6:15 pm

Dear duh!
You ask if it's a holiday...I hear it's Persian New Year. I hear that they do fire walking as part of their festivities. Not suggesting they are responsible for the fireworks, but perhaps? Who knows... I guess we'll all be awake some night when the fireworks light a 40-50 year old shake roof on fire and the fire department sirens are blaring.

Posted by Stan, a resident of Ruby Hill
on Mar 11, 2009 at 7:14 pm

Member -

I was going to ridicule your post, but its not too far off. March 20 is their new year, often celebrations start 10 days before. However the original post is even earlier than that, ruling out the Persians.

It couldn't just be some teens having fun. Come on people, come up with a consensus on which group to blame. I'll say it was the Tongans..

FYI from web:

What we have today as No Ruz goes back to the Sassanian period. They formed the last great Persian Empire before the advent of Islam. Their celebrations would start ten days prior to the New Year. They believed the guardian angels (Forouhars) and spirits of the dead would come down to earth within these ten days to visit their human counter parts. A major spring-cleaning was carried out to welcome them with feasts and celebrations. Bon fires would be set on rooftops at night to indicate to the spirits and the angels that humans were ready to receive them. This was called Suri Festival.

Modern Iranians still carry out the spring-cleaning and celebrate 'Chahar Shanbeh Suri' (Wednesday Suri). Bon fires are made and all people will jump over the fire on the last Tuesday of the year. This is a purification rite and Iranians believe by going over the fire they will get rid of all their illnesses and misfortunes. This festival did not exist before Islam in this form and very likely is a combination of more than one ritual to make it last.

Posted by john, a resident of another community
on Mar 12, 2009 at 7:17 am

could be the Bingins people. they party all the time
or maybe its both the Binging and Persians

Posted by hilarious, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 12, 2009 at 10:36 am

I just have to say this is the best thread. Good for alot of laughs!

Posted by HAHA, a resident of Highland Oaks
on Mar 12, 2009 at 2:29 pm

WOW this is kind of funny all you all arguing and telling people to call the police. most of the time the police don't do anything and just take the fireworks away and tell the kids to go home. i herd them to i was actually happy to hear that other people in the community were out having fun that late at night. Plus don't you think that by the time the police got there the kids would be out of there anyways. OOO not to mention when it just rained like it did for the past couple of days before this im pretty sure every thing is still saturated with water and would be hard to catch on fire very easily from fire works. all im saying is let some kids have some fun never know it could have been your kids that snuck out and did this. Because im sure all the parents checked there kids rooms when they got woken up by this.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.