The llama days of summer

Original post made on Aug 23, 2008

As the end of summer approaches, lots of people make last-minute plans to go away on a quick vacation. But there are also outings people can do right in Pleasanton that can make them feel like they're far away without even leaving town. For example, a lot of people in Pleasanton don't realize they can visit and play with (on the public sidewalk side of the fence) the farm animals that live at the corner of Bernal Avenue and Independence Drive.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, August 22, 2008, 1:48 PM

Posted by Timothy, a resident of Downtown
on Aug 23, 2008 at 9:52 am

Great story, Katie! I've always wondered about those animals as I've driven by and now I'm looking forward to handing out some carrots!

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Aug 23, 2008 at 4:20 pm

PLEASE DON'T FEED ANY ANIMAL HUMAN LEFTOVERS. MOST OF THE FOOD THAT HUMANS CONSUME IS NOT FIT FOR HEALTHY ANIMALS.

Drive by and keep on moving. Animals don't need people touching them, talking to them or feeding them toxic human food.

Katie, A WAY COOL STORY! HOORAY!!!

Posted by Drea, a resident of Downtown
on Aug 25, 2008 at 9:53 am

Hi Everyone,

I am girl that is interviewed in this article, and I wanted to refute what was said in the pervious comment, about petting and feeding the animals. All of our animals love to be petted; it causes no harm to them, as long as it is done properly. Also, the llama and horses love carrots and lettuce; they are more than capable in digesting such foods. Yes, there are certain foods that are not good to give to animals but I believe anyone with a little common sense would know what not to feed an animal. We only ask that these acts are done from the street and that no one drives onto the property, as Katie has mentioned in the article.

Thanks again Katie and family for coming and meeting all the animals. The article turned out great.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Aug 25, 2008 at 10:07 am

The article is informative and well written.

PLEASE don't feed or touch the animals. If you must view them, enjoy! Pat yourselves on the head and smile. They are well fed and the receive enough attention already...better yet, keep on truckin'...

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Aug 30, 2008 at 9:22 am

Why not invite Sarah Palin to come in and check out the animals....I saw her on TV and she likes to go hunting. I wonder what animals she most enjoys killing? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...bad girl, no donut!

Posted by nan lyness, a resident of Ruby Hill
on Sep 2, 2008 at 1:19 pm

PLEASE stop this nonsense. My daughter wrote the article and checks this web site every day to see who has commented on her story. She's a little girl and doesn't need to see these absurd communications you are having with one another and which have nothing to do with the article. I thank you in advance for your consideration and for your cooperation with my request.

Posted by Animal lover, a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Sep 2, 2008 at 1:54 pm

Katie our family has had many conversation about the animals since reading your story. Thanks for the information and invitation to visit the animals, we always wondered if it would be okay. You and the Colella family are sharing a gift of the animals with the community by writing your story.

What a treat, thanks.

Posted by Fellow Animal Lover, a resident of Foxborough Estates
on Sep 2, 2008 at 4:29 pm

Katie,

Do you happen to know what happened to the other llamas that were onsite. We miss seeing them but do enjoy saying 'Hi' to Oscar and Skittles as we drive by. Thanks for the wonderful article.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Sep 2, 2008 at 5:46 pm

As I've stated, the article is informative and well written.

Drive by, say 'hi" and pat yourself on the popo. I seriously doubt that the animals understand English. I think that animals are best left alone and not contaminated by humans and their nasty germs. Don't feed the animals, they are already well fed and don't need your dinner scraps.

Now, pat yourselves on the popo and shove off! Animals are best left alone to enjoy their lives without drive by people. As I recall, a blog is about Free Speech momma! Tee hee hee, tee hee hee...signed, Pity Pat's friend Cholo!

PLEASE educate your daughter about blogs and how they work. This blog is seldom about being nice. hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaa...

Posted by Geez Louise, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Sep 2, 2008 at 7:24 pm

Correction to Cholo's entry: This blog is usually about being nice, being civil, and offering productive comments. I'm very sorry that a young aspiring journalist with some good interviewing skills had to be subjected to trash talk and ridiculous comments by a select few, or a select one, on this blog.

I can't speak for everyone, but I think that we could wish for better.

Thank you to both the author of the article and to the interviewee.

Posted by katie, a resident of Ruby Hill
on Sep 2, 2008 at 10:26 pm

Hello Fellow Animal Lover, resident of the Foxborough Estates neighborhood. I do know the answer to your question because it came up during my interview. I'm so sorry to report that the other llamas died, both within a few weeks of each other. Drea and the whole Colella family were very, VERY sad. (I have to go to bed now!)

Posted by Ron, a resident of Livermore
on Sep 3, 2008 at 4:07 pm

Katie,

Thanks for a very informative article. You seem to be a very talented young lady, possibly with a future in journalism.

Please don't let the comments of one fool discourage you. He seems to think his comments are "cute". Unfortunate for us, if he's to be believed, he happens to be from our community. As you probably know, the world has many that take pride in making fools of themselves.

Posted by George, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Sep 3, 2008 at 9:24 pm

Why is the Pleasanton weekly deleting posts, there were about 8 more on this one yesterday CENSORSHIP??????????

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Carlton Oaks
on Sep 7, 2008 at 10:16 pm

Sush georgie.

Posted by reg&boys, a resident of Verona
on Sep 19, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Five years later... and I'm only now reading this article! Hoping all the animals are dong great and the pot-bellied piggy's there! Girls (Interviewer and Interviewee) you two did a FABULOUS job at spreading "good nature"... thank YOU! My kids and I look forward to visiting with your animals!! Smile.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.