Best Cell Phone Coverage???

Original post made by NoCell on Aug 8, 2008

We live on the edge of Birdland and the Gates neighborhoods and our Verizon cellular signal is so poor, you just about can't use the cell phone unless you go outside. Any have coverage with another company that does better?

Posted by Stacey, a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Aug 8, 2008 at 9:23 pm

AT&T Wireless, because they already had their cells in place before Pleasanton decided to ban new towers within so many feet of public parks. My company once switched cell service to T-Mobile and later I got them to switch me back to AT&T Wireless. Even so, I believe there is a dead zone further in the middle of Birdland.

Posted by Anonymous, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 9, 2008 at 3:48 pm

AT&T works well for cell phones. For internet though, use Comcast (we had a lot of problems with the AT&T internet service).

Posted by phone guy, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 9, 2008 at 9:00 pm

AT&T.....great service

Posted by An AT&T Employee, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 10, 2008 at 5:15 pm

I'm shocked to see us recommended 3 out of 3. We're (IMHO) one of the biggest, yet poorest cell providers out there. Coverage sucks.

Posted by Stacey, a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Aug 10, 2008 at 7:03 pm

We're talking about coverage in The Gates, not "out there".

Posted by An AT&T Employee, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 11, 2008 at 6:25 am

Stacey

You only use your phone in "The Gates?" Overall coverage should be of concern, not just that which you achieve in your happy little neighborhoods. Not to mention customer service. Both of which AT&T lacks.

BTW NoCell, is it all phones or just a few that can not get reception in your house? Sometimes it's the handset, not the signal.

Posted by Stacey, a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Aug 11, 2008 at 7:48 am

The original poster asked the question about coverage in my happy little neighborhood. Perhaps that person, like me at the time, spent the majority of their cellphone usage time at home. My company paid for my cell phone so I didn't use my home line. The cell was a necessary means of contacting me while I worked at home and also while I was on-call 24x7 (a cellphone on vibrate under the pillow at 3am in the morning doesn't wake the whole house). So the overriding concern of this class of consumers is not coverage overall, but coverage in this neighborhood. The PW ran an article or editorial a number of years ago about the lack of cell phone coverage in Birdland and it was mentioned in that article about people wanting to use their cellphones while working from home (which an increasing number of people do). I wish I could find it.

Posted by Chris, a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Aug 11, 2008 at 12:27 pm

I don't spend much time in the Birdland area, but live and do business in several locations in Pleasanton. It was about three years ago I left AT&T due to poor coverage in my home and too many dropped calls overall. The switch to Verizon has been a great move as in general they have the best overall coverage along the 680 corridor. The recent test has been a Blackberry my company gave me recently that has AT&T as the carrier. I am reminded now why I left AT&T as the coverage is still average at best, and on numerous occasions I have had to swtich over to my personal Verizon phone after a bad call with my AT&T phone.

Take a look at both regional and national cell carrier consumer surveys and you will see Verizon always comes out on top for good reason.

Posted by birdman, a resident of Birdland
on Aug 11, 2008 at 2:43 pm

I've have AT&T, Verizon, and I currently have Sprint. None of the carriers have great coverage in Birdland. I usually have to go out on the patio or near the window to get more than 3 bars.

Sprint has probably been the best, but it could also be that the phone has better reception.

Web Link

Web Link

Posted by Stacey, a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Aug 11, 2008 at 2:49 pm

Most of Birdland is a big dead zone.

Posted by Jerry, a resident of Oak Hill
on Aug 11, 2008 at 11:05 pm

Maybe the people in Birdland should get that guy that runs around saying "Can you hear me now" to come through their neighborhood....:)

Posted by unclehomerr.., a resident of Downtown
on Aug 12, 2008 at 9:50 pm

Stacy...

If you've got a cellphone provider which your phone can pick-up while under your pillow at 3am... you should let us all know who's your provider! [awkward sentence, eh?] Yanno what I mean??

unclehomerr..

Posted by Anonymous, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 13, 2008 at 7:28 am

My cell phone works just fine in Pleasanton (including in Birdland) - it also works great in other countries, and I use ATT. I have used other carriers but always went back to ATT because it was the only reliable service for me. The internet service is a different story (in my case) - we had so many problems with the ATT service, and we could never get reliable service, that we decided to switch to Comcast, and that works very well.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.