Why should we pay a licence fee for dogs and not cats.

Original post made by Carol on Dec 11, 2007

I think it's unfair that residents of Pleasanton have to pay a licence fee for their dogs and cat owner don't pay anything. I know it's not my dog walking on peoples cars, roaming the streets, getting in other peoples yards and using their flower beds as a bathroom. The smell these animals cause is nasty. If dogs have to be on leashes then so should cats. I know my dog stays in my back yard or in the house. Cat owner have no resposibility for the damage there animals cause. How many of you have woke in the middle of the night because your dog is barking, only to find a cat is the cause of all the commoion. Does anyone think it's unfair to have to pay license fees for your dogs and cat owners don't.

Posted by Dog Owner, a resident of Bridle Creek
on Dec 12, 2007 at 2:13 pm

I Totally agree with you, dog owners are constantly told to walk their dogs on leashes, pick up after your dog and try not to let them bark all night long, yet cats are free to roam the city and neighborhoods, they pee and poop just as much as dogs do, my grass is always dying bec of cat pee and poop... I am 100% sure it is not my dog bec he is 120 lb lab plus no other animal can get in our backyard except a cat.

What gives..make the cat owners be responsible for their cats actions too.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Dec 13, 2007 at 11:01 am

Lots of folks have dogs and don't pay any license fee? So, what happens if you don't register your dog, do you still have to pay the fee? I don't under the fuss? Don't say a word, then you don't have to pay a fee? Get it?

Posted by Carol, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 13, 2007 at 8:31 pm

Not the point. Cat owners are not responsible for their animals. If a dog owner just let his dog run free, you know darn well the owner would hear about it, and have to pay if it caused any damage.

Posted by Give me a break!, a resident of Del Prado
on Dec 13, 2007 at 10:32 pm

Are you serious when you say cats should be on leashes? That's like saying that a bear should have better manners when he breaks into a car full of food.

Now to your point - instead of putting cats on leashes (which would be absolutely ludicrous as their mannerisms cannot be compared to those of dogs - they are more independent by nature....) there should be a law that all cats should have collars with tag id's - this way someone can call the owners or report them if a cat does something they shouldn't be doing (I certainly agree that cats should not be able to stray if they aren't pharrel.. which is also a lot more prevalent that pharrel dogs running around).

In all honesty I don't think your gripe will get you anywhere.... but it doesn't hurt to vent!

Posted by Leigh, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 14, 2007 at 10:46 am

Of course it's unfair. City should just have both cats and dogs registered.

What is the point for registering the animals, besides it being law?

There are lots of strays cats running around my neighborhood and what does city do about that?

Posted by Dogged, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 17, 2007 at 2:15 pm

I've yet to come outside and have my neighbors dog inside my car, but I have come outside and found my inconsiderate neighbors cat had entered my car through the sunroof. If someone woke in the middle of the night and found my dog in there backyard they would be pissed, yet I've had neighboring cats in my car and in my backyard sevaral times a week using my planters as litter boxes. Why is this OK???
STOP THE CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Most cat owners are lazy when it comes to tending to there cats, they just simply let them out to go to the bathroom where they choose/ destroy what they want and then just go back home when the animal chooses.. Dog owners should start dropping there dogs off at cat owners houses to do there business. This would be the same as what cat owners do, however the hammer would come down if dog owners did what cat owners have always done.
Cats should not be allowed off there owners property, unless they are on a leash like a dog.
Cat owners should be held accountable!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Liz, a resident of another community
on Dec 17, 2007 at 3:31 pm

They need to do what San Jose does and license cats.c c c c cc c

Posted by Liz, a resident of another community
on Dec 17, 2007 at 3:34 pm

What they need to do is do like San Jose does and license cats too. There they allow a total of 5 pets, either 5 cats or 3 dogs and 2 cats.

Posted by Joe, a resident of Avignon
on Dec 17, 2007 at 9:15 pm

Pet birds and fish need to be licensed and leashed as well.

Posted by Stacey, a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Dec 17, 2007 at 9:24 pm

Can we start holding cat owners accountable for the mess their cats make in our yards? Doesn't their mess violate Pleasanton's Municipal Code 7.36.010?

"The keeping or maintenance of any household pet or pets or any other animal or animals in such manner, number or kind as to cause damage or hazard to persons or property in the vicinity or to generate offensive noise, dust or odor, shall not be permitted."

Posted by Matt, a resident of Downtown
on Dec 18, 2007 at 5:56 am

Down with cats, up with rats!

The flip side of the dog/cat coin is that a loose dog could hurt/kill a human while a loose cat could hurt your front porch's cleanliness.

Leash a cat? Are you serious?

As to the person who complained about the cat entering the car via the open sunroof....should the city do something about the rain too?

Posted by Give me a break!, a resident of Del Prado
on Dec 18, 2007 at 9:37 am

For those who are in favor of cats being on leashes.... these must be the same people who have those harnesses on their children out in public.

And that includes Stacey too - in her spare time she reads all of Pleasanton's Municipal Codes and lawbooks. I'm afraid for you......

She must own a dog.

Posted by Dogged, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 18, 2007 at 3:01 pm

Matt the rain would be my mistake, however the cat in the sunroof would be the owners fault

Posted by debra, a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Dec 19, 2007 at 10:13 am

dogs should be on leashes - as for cats no. - I've never heard of a cat mauling or cat attack on an innocent bystander just walking by or a pack of cats running around. By the way my neighbor lets their dog out on a regular basis to poop in everyones front yard! and dogs don't bury it just so you can step in it or spray it around after mowing your lawn!

Posted by Stacey, a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Dec 19, 2007 at 10:18 am

Cats don't maul people, they maul wild birds and other wildlife. Buried cat feces still stinks and contaminates garden soil. Dogs should be on leashes and cats kept indoors.

Posted by Whatever, a resident of another community
on Dec 19, 2007 at 10:50 am

This is another reason why we need to have an open season on Lawyers, everytime you turn around you cant do this, you cant do that restrict this, dont say that, pc this, pc that, leash this, put a fee on that, We are moving away from the land of the free to the land of lawyers with to much time on thier hands making laws. people need to GET OVER IT! if you dont like it live in a windowless box with ear plugs on. or move to a country where you can go to jail for spitting on the side walk!

Posted by city employee, a resident of Livermore
on Dec 20, 2007 at 11:53 am

you should look in to why we require dogs to be licensed and also research the animal control ordinance. cat owners can get in trouble for their animals making a mess in other people's yards, and the reason why dogs need to be licensed is to ensure that the dog is current on his/her rabies vaccine and also to help track down the owner should the dog get out or act vicious. i have 2 dogs and I am happy to license my dogs. did you know that the money you pay for a dog license goes directly back to the animals? it puts food in our shelters and also goes towards the dog parks.

Posted by Shelley, a resident of Downtown
on Dec 20, 2007 at 1:57 pm

Part of the dog licensing fees in San Francisco fund the city's animal shelters (see point 3 here Web Link).

Posted by Leigh, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 20, 2007 at 4:38 pm

city employee,

if the point of licensing dogs, should it be the same for cats? there is a high rate of overpopulation and homeless cats running around, and do cats need to get vaccinated as well? look at the animal shelters.

if city is smart, have both licensed if funds go back to animals...
wouldn't that make sense?

Posted by Carol, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 20, 2007 at 9:37 pm

Matt, there is no difference between a cat and a rat. One's just higher on the food chain.

Posted by Lee, a resident of Walnut Grove Elementary School
on Dec 21, 2007 at 5:25 pm

I guess if cats are required to be leashed or kept inside, we'll need to start building taxpayer funded cat parks, just like dog owners want funded for their pets.

I have a fish, no cats or dogs, but I would rather find cat poop in my bushes than have to step over dog poo on the sidewalk on the way to school a couple times a week.

Maybe we should look into licensing squirrels too.

Posted by Lee, a resident of Walnut Grove Elementary School
on Dec 21, 2007 at 5:26 pm

Maybe we should look into licensing squirrels too.

Posted by Carol, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 23, 2007 at 12:23 pm

Since no one wants to licence there cats then I don't why dog owners should. If you want a cat park then pay the licence tax like dog owners have to.

Posted by Carol, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 23, 2007 at 12:26 pm

Correction: Since no one wants to licence there cats, then why should dog owners have to. If you want a cat park then pay the licence tax like dog owners.

Posted by Leigh, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 25, 2007 at 9:23 am

We should ask what is the whole point of licensing the pets?

If the point is to ID the animal when it becomes lost and injured, verification that rabies vaccination are current, and to avoid citation...

Does city not recognize cats? Other than the animal control?

Posted by Alan Nielsen, a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Dec 28, 2007 at 4:15 pm

I am the owner of two cats that we adopted in 2002 from the Animal Rescue. They are in the home all the time, never outside. We also take them to our Arizona Home for the winter when we go there. I do not think any animal owner that never allows there pets outside or to be walked or roam freely should have to pay any sort of a fee.

Posted by Tom, a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Dec 28, 2007 at 10:04 pm

While I agree with you, Carol, that cat owners - such as myself - should be subject to licensing fees; I do not agree with your comment regarding the need to place cats on leashes. Sadly, while I can recall numerous incidents where dogs have attacked and sometimes killed innocent bystanders, I cannot recall a single incident that a domestic cat has ever done the same. Too many dog owners fervently believe that, "my dog would never hurt a flea!" and that's just utter nonsense. Dogs will do what is pure instinct to them if they think that either their master is endangered or their territory has been invaded. Cats are completely opposite in behaviour and do not have the same level of loyalty to their owners and are not protective of their house.
I agree that if cats are allowed out of their immediate domain they should be required to wear collars and licenses and be required to have their shots because too many times our children think that any kitty is a nice kitty and won't hurt them. This is not true. Remember too that there are lots of other animals such as racoons and skunks and possums that are cause for dogs to go crazy - not just cats. Personally, I tend to think that cat owners that allow their pets to roam free are often creating a menace to society because outdoor cats stalk and kill the birds and squirrels and other harmless wildlife not to mention that they get killed on the streets themselves. We have cat owners in our neighborhood that just don't take care of their animals and this is cruel.

Posted by Matt, a resident of Downtown
on Jan 1, 2008 at 3:29 am

Cat parks?

Cats on leashes?

Cat licenses?
-ok that one makes sense

Also "wildlife" isn't harmless. Hence the "wild" part. Yes, cats do stalk and kill other animals outside. Many of these animals are regarded as pests (some rightfully so).

Some of these posts are indicative of people that have very little understanding of what kind of animal a cat is.

Posted by Kara, a resident of Val Vista
on Jun 24, 2008 at 6:50 pm

I agree with Lee.. I have a cat and it goes outside and roams around but I have never had to step over cat poop on the sidewalk and I constantly am stepping over big piles of dog poop on the sidewalk.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.