Pizza Resaurants

Original post made by PToWN94566 on Dec 10, 2007

Recently a friend and I went to have pizza downtown. We have ate there in the past and always love the food, but the past two times we tried going there we recieved horrible service- we didn't even stay to eat. The first time was about 2 weeks ago and we wanted to sit in the back as it's warmer and more of a cozy atmosphere. The lady that was running the front said they don't ever sit 2 people in the back and that they had to keep the back open for large parties. This was a tuesday evening. She was pretty rude and insisted they never sit parties of two in the back- which is a lie because I have sat back there numerous times with just one other person. We left right away, and walking to the car we could see in the back that there were many spots open. What gives? We decided to try again a week later and this time it was about 7pm and we were told all they were serving was pizza, nothing else. This too was on a tuesday night. 7pm isn't the typical 5:30 family dinner, but it's not super late either (and I just read online that they close at 11pm, midnight fri/sat- could be off but I would bet they are open at least till 9)

Is this restaurant getting lazy or has it's popularity gone to it's head that they feel they can treat customers however they want? The food maybe great at the place I am talking about, but I will not return there to eat.

Posted by Amber, a resident of Southeast Pleasanton
on Dec 11, 2007 at 9:42 am

Which restaurant are you talking about?

Posted by Jennifer, a resident of Country Fair
on Dec 11, 2007 at 12:59 pm

We moved to Pleasanton about 5 years ago from San Francisco and I can tell you that pizza restaurants in Pleasanton should be thankful they even have people buying what they call a "good" pizza. I think that restaurants in general over here take business for granted because someone hasn't come in with a good enough product that actually threatens them with some competition!

Posted by aaron, a resident of Highland Oaks
on Dec 11, 2007 at 2:56 pm

it sounds like gay 90's. that place is great. i have live here 20 yrs and still go there once a month

Posted by Karen, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Dec 11, 2007 at 3:27 pm

My husband and I used to go to this pizza place at least once a month. Whenever a friend came from out of town and wanted to do pizza for dinner, this was the spot.

I have to agree with the original poster (assuming I am thinking of the same place,) that the service has gone downhill....in a major way.

Just a couple of weeks ago, on a weeknight, my husband and I went in around 6:30pm to order a pizza. We were seated in the back (just the two of us), and waited a LONG time. During the wait, several servers walked by us, not one, acknowledging our existence. We expected maybe a "be with you in a minute" or at least a glass of water, something....but....NOTHING. After 15 minutes (we really waited that long because I was craving the bread and some pizza), my husband and I had had enough and we got up and left.

I agree with the original poster, that the service here has gone downhill. The incident with us a couple of weeks ago was not the first, just simply the last. It is too bad because we used to love going to this particular pizza place. I would like to give them another chance at some point, so please, let me know if the service improves!!

Posted by Marie, a resident of Castlewood
on Dec 11, 2007 at 3:28 pm

Then you have never had to deal with the owner. We did eat there when we first moved to P-town. But a few times with the owner having to much to drink we have not gone back.

Posted by Steve, a resident of Vineyard Hills
on Dec 11, 2007 at 8:29 pm

I agree with SF. The only good pizza in town was from Vinny…
Went to another main street restaurant the other night to find the food two stars lower than last year. This blog recently bashed one of our outdoor mainstays to near death.

Tell us what is worth the walk downtown and the $'s this year.
Please not best of Pleasanton… You're best!

Posted by Main St Eater, a resident of Birdland
on Dec 12, 2007 at 10:20 am

I for one I have eaten at several resturants on main street. One of them that I often visit because of the good prices, food and service is Strizzis. It is resonably priced (if you go before 6 you can get the early dinning menu which includes some cheaper entrees and each come with a soup or salad) and the food is wonderful (try the burger or the woodgrilled chicken!)Their desserts are amazing and you can go to their website and print off a free dessert coupon also. I eat there more times a month then any other resterant downtown. They have friendly servers and good food! Thats my "vote for best".

Posted by rick, a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Dec 23, 2007 at 10:25 am

The fact is the Pizza scene in this town is pretty bad. The Round Table on Main St
is a disaster. I am convinced that no one is in charge there.
On two seperate occasions they forgot to make my Pizza.

Let me say that I love the Round Table Pizza chain. As an afficionado of pizza, I appreciate Round Table's pizza recipe as one of the best. However this particular pizza parlor is a disaster.

First of all, the tables are not bused in a timely manner. On a recent visit,
I counted over 15 tables not bused. Napkins, smeared pizza, piles of plates where stacked up all over. Meanwhile, the teenage employees were sitting around eating pizza!

The pizza is a crapshoot. Sometimes it's good and sometimes its terrible.
Once, they delivered a pizza to my home. The cheese was charred black.
When my kid cried "I hate this pizza" in typical bratty fashion. I called the pizza place and they were nice enough to send another one. This one had so much cheese on it, it looked like a congealed yellow blob. Once again, bratty complaints from my kids.

On a recent visit, we discovered that they forgot to make our pizza. When I informed the cashier, he said it would be 20 minutes. We went for a walk and came back in 15 minutes. After waiting another 15 minutes at our table, still no pizza! I went to the cashier and asked again. Where is my Pizza? He didn't know. At that moment I noticed a server dashing out of the kitchen with what looked like my pizza. He headed right into a party room and tried to give it to the group. Miraculously, they refused the pizza because they didn't order it. When I finally caught up with the wayward server, I showed him my number and told him "That's my Pizza!" He lost the number but he finally reliquished the pizza. We devoured that calorie disc like we hadn't eaten in weeks.

On my most recent visit, I called in an order for pick-up and they charged me at the counter and told me it would be a few minutes. 15 minutes later I asked them what happened and they said there was a snafu and they forgot to make the pizza! They offered no apology and just suggested a refund which I took.

Why do I keep going back you ask? The other pizza establishments have issues too
but I'm rambling so I'll just stop. User Rating: 2 out of 5 stars

Posted by Melissa, a resident of Foothill Farms
on Jan 18, 2008 at 1:33 pm

I think New York Pizza on Main Street has the most horrible excuse for pizza I've ever had the misfortune to eat. I was born and grew up in New York, and what they serve in that restaurant bares absolutely no relation to New York Pizza. How do you people eat that stuff?

Posted by Joe, a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Jul 21, 2008 at 11:08 pm

For a really great pizza try De La Torre's Trattoria, this a family owned Italian restaurant with outstanding food. The service is always warm and friendly. You will feel like you went to someone house for dinner. The menu is extensive and they always have some excellent specials. It located at the corner of Hopyard and W. Las Positas right next to Lucky's

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.