The public art piece is the latest donated through the Harrington Art Partnership. Nancy and Gary Harrington commissioned the 400-pound optic crystal bell, known as the "Firehouse Crystal Bell," which was created by glass artist Jack Storms.
Situated in the lobby of the year-old Firehouse Arts Center, the piece honors all firefighters in a building that once served as the city's first Fire Station No. 1. First constructed in 1929, a section of the old firehouse remains as a key part of the new center.
A plaque with a poetic inscription penned by past Pleasanton Poet Laureate Deborah Grossman is situated at the base of the bell.
The optic bell, which contains more than 8,000 pieces, is composed of four types of glass: optic leaded crystal, optic unleaded glass, starphire and dichoroic glass. A specially designed lathe was made to shape the bell, while the bell's granite base was made by Bob Mattos. The metal stand for the bell was created by Tim Orr of Torr Industries.
The bell has some distinction within the portfolio of its artist, Jack Storms of Red Bluff, whose internationally sought-after smaller works typically take six to 10 weeks to complete. Storms spent approximately two years working on the optic bell for the Harrington Art Partnership.
Among his other works was an emissarial gift to the president of Nigeria to observe the opening of the first blood bank on the continent of Africa, and the awards for the Los Angeles Music Awards.
Artist Storm and the Harringtons joined firefighters and city officials Nov. 12 at a ceremony where the new bell was unveiled. The crystal bell can be seen in the lobby of the Firehouse Arts Center, 4444 Railroad Ave., in downtown Pleasanton.