Pleasanton Weekly

News - December 27, 2013

Pleasanton home damaged in fireplace blaze

Fireplace blaze burns through chimney lining

by Jeb Bing

A house fire in Pleasanton left a family's home badly burned but nobody was hurt, firefighters said late Sunday.

The blaze was reported about 8 p.m. at the home of Tom and Kelly Opatz at 1008 Malaga Ct. in the upper Vintage Heights section of Pleasanton.

Livermore/Pleasanton firefighters at the scene said the fire started in the fireplace and burned through part of the chimney wall's lining, catching the attic and parts of the home's second floor on fire.

At least six fire trucks, three police cars and a paramedic responded to the blaze, which required firefighters to rip out part of the home's rear roof to reach the flames.

The homeowner and a neighbor were out for a walk when the fire occurred.

No estimate of damages was available.

Comments

There are no comments yet for this post

Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.

Email:


Post a comment

Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online. Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information and opinion. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.

Name: *

Select your neighborhood or school community: *

Choose a category: *

Since this is the first comment on this story a new topic will also be started in Town Square! Please choose a category that best describes this story.

Comment: *

Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.

*Required Fields