Below are some simple decorating ideas that it's not too late to try this year if you think your home still needs an extra festive touch:
1. Add Santa's stack of reading to your bookshelves. Cover a few books with red paper and print out the titles in white pen. Some title suggestions are "Reindeer Care," "Fifty Shades of Red" and "Toymaking for Dummies," but your family can probably come up with its own.
2. Wrap up a hassock to look like a Christmas present by tying a big ribbon with a bow around it. Such a large-scale gift will add a touch of whimsy to any room.
3. Any shelf can be transformed by putting a festive cloth beneath the photos or other year-round decorations. Add in a few loose holiday ornaments.
4. Even though your Pleasanton windows do not survey a snowy scene, you can add fake snow to the corners of a few window panes for the winter wonderland effect.
5. Fill glass jars with different types of red and white candy mints for a decorative touch to a mantle or shelf.
6. Add holiday fragrance to a large candle by surrounding it with cinnamon sticks held in place by a Christmas ribbon.
These decorating ideas were on display on the AAUW Holiday Home Tour held recently by the Danville-Alamo-Walnut Creek branch to benefit women scholars and Tech Trek Science Camps for middle-school girls.