Homeowners on Monaco Court and neighboring streets were awakened last week by crews with large machines adding pavement slurry to their street and blocking traffic.
Residents said they had no notification the street work was starting Friday. As a result, garbage collection was postponed, cars parked in driveways and on the street were un-protected from the air blasters cleating the cracks for the tar application.
"The city probably should have taken some of the $200K for the drought PR program and used it to let the residents know the scope and breath of work planned for Monaco Court," said one resident.
Apparently, Bortolotto & Co. of San Carlos, which was the contractor hired to resurface the street, had plenty of "Don't Park Here" bollards, but they were bundled after an earlier Aug. 4 start date was changed without notice.
Residents complained that besides the lack of advance notice, the contractor's work also was troubling. Oil and asphalt was dripping from equipment, there were puddles of oil in the wheel of the heavy roller, there was no containment of the piles of asphalt with water mixed with the compound entering the sewers.