Food has always been a fair favorite at the Alameda County Fair -- from funnel cakes to corn dogs.
For the first year ever, the fair will be hosting SNACKDOWN, a food competition featuring food vendors and their newest and most tastiest creations at noon today at the Fairground's Festival Square Stage.
Twelve finalists will compete for the titles of "Best Taste," "Most Creative" and "Best Theme" ("Taste the Red, White & Blue"). From those three title winners, an overall grand champion will be named.
The SNACKDOWN finalists include:
* Spaghetti ice cream -- Anthony Verdome, Cardinali Ice Cream
* World's hottest ice cream -- Anthony Verdome, Cardinali Ice Cream
* Crisp bacon bowl sliders -- Molly Johnson, Gastro Pub
* Pickle dog -- Get Pickled, Nathan Janousak
* Drunken pickle poppers -- Get Pickled, Nathan Janousak
*Deep fried grilled cheese -- The Monster Dog, Tom Stroud
* Deep fried peanut butter cup -- The Monster Dog, Tom Stroud
* California burrito -- Pepe's Mariscos, Erica Quintero
* Red, white and blue crepe -- Planet Popcorn/Planet Crepes
* Red, white and blue pizza -- Pizza by the Slice, Jill Moyer
* Lobster fries -- Sharky's Fish Fries, Don Delahoyde
* Macaroni and cheese stuffed bacon burger -- Stuffy's Char Broiler, Don Delahoyde
"Each year, concessionaires customarily introduce creative new items to their menus and the SNACKDOWN is way to add some fun to the process, for both the sellers and the food fans," said Judy Carrico, Fair Operations Manager at Alameda County Fair. "This will be a fun event. All of the finalists are great and we look forward to seeing who takes the prizes."
"SNACKDOWN Finalist" signs will be placed on food stands to help fair attendees identify the food items competing in the finals.
The fair food vendors were invited to participate in the competition earlier this year. A first-round judging panel chose the top 12 finalists. Vendors were allowed to enter as many food item as the wished. Three finalists have more than one food item in the final competition.
SNACKDOWN will be hosted by Liam Mayclem, KPIX's "Foodie Chap." Bay Area "foodie" judges will sample and score each food entry to determine the winners.
The public is also encouraged to stay updated at the Alameda County Fair's Facebook page for a chance to win a spot on the judging panel.
Fair food vendors
Alameda County Fair has provided a list of food vendors. Be sure to look for these food stands, along with dozens more.
* Juicy's Grill: burgers, grilled cheese, chicken sandwich, sausage-on-a-stick
* Funnel Cakes West: fresh, homemade funnel cake with cream and fruit, Breakfast Funnel Cake (powdered sugar, maple cream and bacon bits)
* Sharky's Fish Fry: fish and chips, lobster on-a-stick, fried veggies
* Willamette Valley Pie Co.: fresh pies, cobblers, turnovers
* Pepe's Mariscos (part of Kaiser Healthy Picks Menu): Mexican food, fresh seafood, fish tacos, fresh fruit, California Burrito
* Country Fair Cinnamon Rolls: homemade cinnamon rolls, cinnamon bread
* Big Bubba's Bad BBQ: BBQ pork, chicken and beef, tri tip, beans, cole slaw, corn on the cob
* Get Pickled: pickle dog, drunken pickle poppers, fried pickle-on-a-stick, chips
* Planet Popcorn/Planet Crepes: fresh popped flavored popcorn, homemade crepes, Red, White and Blue crepe
* Cardinali's Ice Cream: ice cream, sundaes, spaghetti ice cream, World's Hottest ice cream
* Mrs. J's Chocolate Pot: chocolate-dipped bananas, ice cream bard, cheesecake
* The Monster Dog: 18-inch corn dog (also in 12-inches or 16-inches), hot dogs, burgers, deep fried grilled cheese sandwich
* Gastro Pub: 17 different Sierra Nevada beers on tap, farm-to-table menu, crisp bacon bowl slider
* Stuffy's Char Broiler: burgers, hot dogs, salad, macaroni and cheese stuffed bacon burger
Special Event Press Invitation
What: Alameda County Fair 2014 SNACKDOWN!
What is it? : From classic corndogs to deep-fried Twinkies, "crazy-good"
food is one of the top reasons people love going to the Fair!
Alameda County Fair is taking "fair fare" to new heights with the first annual
SNACKDOWN, a live competition featuring some of our fantastic food vendors
and their newest creations. Twelve finalist dishes will compete for the titles of
"Best Taste", "Most Creative" and "Best Theme" ("Taste the Red, White &
Blue"). From those winners, an overall "Grand Champion" will be named.
KPIX's "Foodie Chap", Liam Mayclem, will host the event. A panel of
esteemed Bay Area "foodie" judges will sample and score each entry to
determine the winners.
When: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 at 12pm
Where: Festival Square Stage at the center of the Fairgrounds.
How: To reserve a space, please contact: Tracy Rogers, Marketing Specialist
At 925-426-7511 or by email at email@example.com
Finalists: Red, White & Blue Crepe, California Burrito, Macaroni & Cheese
Stuffed Bacon Burger, World's Hottest Ice Cream, Pickle Dog, Crisp Bacon
Bowl Slider, Drunken Pickle Poppers, Deep Fried Grilled Cheese, Red, White &
Blue Pizza, Spaghetti Ice Cream, Deep Fried Peanut Butter Cup, Lobster Fries
Visit our website for additional information: alamedacountyfair.com.