News

Fireworks back at county fair on Independence Day

Fireworks follow nightly concerts, including July 4 this year

The Alameda County Fair will kick off June 18 with later hours and a nightly fireworks show after the fair's free concerts, to be held at 8 p.m. this year.

This year, with Independence Day falling on Friday, the fireworks show will start after the concert, at 9:45 p.m.

Aptly themed "Taste the Red, White & Blue," the fair will offer new attractions and entertainment along with longer hours of 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Tuesdays through Sundays. As before, the fair will be closed on Mondays.

LeAnn Rimes and Eddie Money will head the fair's concert lineup, with other top-name acts such as Night Ranger, Eddie Money, Con Funk Shun and Creedence Clearwater Revisited to follow. The final concert will be on July 6, when the 2014 fair closes.

As in past years, opening day attendees will be admitted for $1 admission with rides also costing $1. The fair also will offer early entry wristbands to the first 300 in line daily from 2-3 p.m. for the concert each night.

Regular admission is $10, with lower rate of $8 for seniors 62 and older and youths between 6 and 12 years old. Children under 6 years old will be admitted free of charge.

Parking at the Fairgrounds costs $8.

In addition to Independence Day fireworks, the Blues Festival will perform from 1-9 p.m. on July 4.

Also new this yea will be the fair's "Food Snackdown," the fair food vendors will offer their best new, original creations for a taste test. A live judging event to decide the champions will be held at the fair June 24.

Fair favorites also will be back including horseracing, exhibits, animals, food, rides, games, pig races, kids' attractions, special event days and more. A complete schedule is available on the fair's website at www.alamedacountyfair.com/

Additional information, previews, updates, contests and giveaways also can be found in the Pleasanton Weekly, Pleasanton Express, online at www.pleasantonweekly.com/ and on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

Comments

Posted by Love the fair
on Mar 26, 2014 at 8:29 am

This all sounds great, I just really hope security is beefed up for July 4th, so there's no repeat of the past problems that occurred on what the Fair organization has labelled Oakland Day.

Posted by Rose
a resident of Parkside
on Mar 26, 2014 at 9:10 am

So where exactly is the "affordable housing" we are mandated to allow? Appears that Summerhill can charge rents far in excess of many mortgages, and just pay a fee to the city of Pleasanton - I want to hear from our governing council exactly where the affordable housing comes in - will the city eventually use those funds to build a Bay View type of complex to fullfill the actual affordable housing? Why don't we build more townhouses that are truly affordable and owner occupied. We have a seemingly large number of apartments already.

Posted by Rose
a resident of Parkside
on Mar 26, 2014 at 9:11 am

Goofed! Wrong page.

Posted by Jennifer
on Mar 26, 2014 at 9:23 am

Love the fair: there haven't been problems at the fair for YEARS!! Where have you been? Oakland is no longer the pit it was 15-20 years ago, and when you go to the fair, the biggest Oakland representation is the A's. Get with the times and have fun :)

Posted by Bob
a resident of Southeast Pleasanton
on Mar 26, 2014 at 10:29 am

Thanks for the warning about the Independence Day fireworks. Now I know when NOT to go. I guess the old saying that we don't learn from our mistakes applies here. Based in what I saw last 4th we had fireworks, don't bring your kids. #scarypeople

Posted by Daily for 30 years
on Mar 26, 2014 at 3:17 pm

OH Jennifer, you obviously have not attended the fair DAILY for the last 17-18 years, like some of us. THE reason there have not been 4th of July 'problems for YEARS', as you say, is because we have not held 4th of July nights...for years!!! YOU know little of what you speak !! It is a huge mistake. $$ ahead of pains.
Apparently you don't keep up with murder numbers since 1999. You must be new to the area.

Posted by Mrs. Bloom
on Mar 26, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Pleasanton Weekly might want to proof read your article before posting--second paragraph-or could be correct to but might want to change the writing. Concert at 9:45?

Posted by Rob
a resident of Canyon Meadows
on Mar 27, 2014 at 1:24 pm

I hate that Damn fair...I make it a point NOT to go there....I dislike the people it draws...I hate the trash that accumulates in the streets during the fair.
Pleasanton is a nice place to live 50 weeks out of the year.
If it were up to me...I would ban it...

Posted by liberalism is a plague
on Mar 27, 2014 at 1:56 pm

I think if the liberals kept there kids at home there wouldn't be much problem. Where there's no respect for the 4th of July and the Constitution it is meant to celebrate, there can only be problems. Wise up people.

Posted by Pololo Mololo
a resident of Livermore
on Mar 27, 2014 at 6:15 pm

GRACIAS for sharing!

Posted by Independence Day!
a resident of Avignon
on Mar 27, 2014 at 10:01 pm

The celebration was originally called Independence Day, not July 4-th. That is merely the date we celebrate our Independence. Is it just a coincidence that the we now call this event by its date instead? Or, perhaps many do not feel that we have the independence we once enjoyed--they may have a point.

Regarding the fireworks, this still is Oakland's day at the fair. I have spoken with friends that have mistakenly attended on that day (much more recently than 1999). The rules that apply all other days of the fair are not enforced on 7/4 to "avoid creating an incidence". A word to the wise...

Posted by Jennifer
on Mar 28, 2014 at 11:44 am

Well, I'm really sorry that so many people here have bad experiences. My family and I go frequently to the fair every year - I get discounted tickets at Raley's and my parents are senior citizens who have a friend who works at the fair so they go cheaply or free as well. None of us have EVER had a problem. I have been going to the fair for 14 years, every year (thank you very much to the person who said I'm new to Pleasanton). I remember the shooting. I didn't go to the fair that year again, just a judgment call on my family's part. But I went the next year. However, if the situation is as dire as all of you say, why do I see so many children all the time? Why is the fair full of people buying things, going on the rides, eating food, petting the animals, etc.? Why is the parking lot so full (I see it because I pass it on the way home from work)? If people didn't feel safe, they wouldn't go. And the largest representation of "yucky" Oakland is Oakland A's t-shirts and hats. And to the person who questioned the late end of the concert, there's only going to be one concert now, starting at 8 every night, and that there are going to be some tickets given in advance so you don't have to wait in line for 2 hours just to get in and enjoy shady seats (although not a problem at 8pm). So, that's why the fireworks start late. I live just down the street (a few blocks) from the fair, and hear the concerts and can hardly wait for fireworks every night. I absolutely love the fair, and will definitely go on Independence Day this year since there will be fireworks. Dude, if you go every day, I wonder what YOU look like, because people tend to seek out their own kind. The fair is wonderful, and if you don't go, you won't appreciate the family atmosphere and awesome corn dogs and lemonade. I can't believe this negativity. You guys are the ones who make Pleasanton awful for yourselves. I love it here. And even though my son lives in Dublin, I won't move. So there. If the fair is so repulsive, don't go. But don't say bad things about it if you don't go. I'm so mad. I love this town and all that goes with living here. Have a good day all.

Posted by liberalism is a disease
on Mar 28, 2014 at 2:27 pm

liberalism is a disease is a registered user.

Jennifer, if you had read the responses more closely, most, if not all, cited problems that occur on July 4th, not the remainder of the fair's stay in town. If you go the to the fair early (before dark or before the heavy drinking starts), the fair is a great place to bring your kids.
It's obvious that you've never been to the fair after dark, or if you did, you must have stayed in the quilting exhibit hall.
Good luck to you if you're going after dark on 'oakland day'. Why you would choose that day could be seen as either brave or foolish, but why take that risk when the fair is in town for 2+ weeks.

Posted by Jennifer
on Mar 28, 2014 at 3:20 pm

News links I found when searching Google for "Alameda County Fair crime". Seems pigs and yellow jackets are the worst problems at the fair since 1998 shooting...
*2012* Web Link
*2012* Web Link
**July 5, 1998** Web Link
**Regarding July 4, 1998** Web Link
**July 3, 2010** Web Link
Etc. So please provide me with links regarding crime at the Fair. I'd really like to know. And I do stay after dark, fair closes at 10, right?, and I hate the quilting exhibit. I really hate liberals - you say it's a disease, but I believe you have it. How do you feel about gun control? Provide me a link please.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Mar 28, 2014 at 4:54 pm

If there's a fire don't come crying to me about it. If anybody is injured by fireworks...unfortunate.

Posted by liberalism is a disease
on Mar 28, 2014 at 8:47 pm

liberalism is a disease is a registered user.

Jennifer, here's how I feel about gun control: I use both hands to steady my aim and I rarely shoot outside the center circle. It's a good thing the guy doing the shooting on the last 4th of July incident didn't use the same technique, otherwise, someone may have died. Have fun at the fair on Oakland day.

Posted by Liberalism is a plague
on Mar 29, 2014 at 8:55 am

Dear Pleasanton Parents,
My erstwhile companion, Liberalism is a disease, has clearly reached a point of serious imbalance. He is afraid of his own shadow, or any people whose skin color resembles his own shadow, and he is unabashed about his penchant for aiming his gun and blowing people away. It is, therefore, not Oaklanders one should be worried about, but this clearly unbalanced, violent human being who brags about the nature of his illness. Parents beware!

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?