News

Pleasanton schools closed today

Most to observe Lincoln's birthday next Mnday

Pleasanton schools are closed today in honor of Lincoln's birthday and then again next Monday, Feb. 17, for Presidents' Day.

Only the schools in Pleasanton are celebrating Feb. 10 as a holiday, everything else will be open as usual.

Most states that formerly observed Lincoln's birthday now observe both Lincoln's and George Washington's birthdays on Presidents' Day.

However, Lincoln's Birthday continues to remain a legal holiday in some states including California, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Illinois, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, and Indiana, but is observed to a limited extent on the anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's birth on February 12, 1809.

All courts in California will be closed Wednesday in honor of Lincoln's actual birthday.

Comments

Posted by Gettin Ripped, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Feb 10, 2014 at 9:12 am

California state workers get 11 paid holidays each year, compared to the 7 paid holidays that is common in the private sector. That is another way that taxpayers are getting the shaft by the state. Government workers now get higher salaries, on average, that private sector workers, even though their skill levels are substantially lower; and of course their retirement and benefits packages far, far exceed that of the private sector. Also, most government workers have assurance that they will never lose their jobs. When are voters in California going to wise up and vote in legislators and a governor that will put an end to squandering of taxpayers' money?

Posted by Brian, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Feb 10, 2014 at 9:50 am

Gettin ripped, sounds like you have a crappy job and work for a bad company. Instead of blaming and being so jealous of those who work in government funded positions, go to school, and then maybe you too can work in one of those fabulous government jobs. I've worked for both. It's true that I was unlikely to lose my government job and the hours and days off were more predictable. However, I have made way more in private companies than I ever could have in a government lab. It's not even close. I enjoy the better pay and challenge of the private sector, but I work long hours at times so its not for everyone. I dont know what field you work in, but you are mis-informed. If you hate your job so much, get a better one.

Posted by JoeE, a resident of Siena
on Feb 10, 2014 at 10:07 am

I must be stupid or something. I don't recall this ever happening, but I guess it has? I thought we just did a single "President's Day".

Posted by JT, a resident of Stoneridge
on Feb 10, 2014 at 10:15 am

JT is a registered user.

Seems like most of the job loss the last few years is coming from the public sector. Middle class jobs, mostly. Government job security is no longer a truism. My private employer gives me ten holidays a year, and every other Friday off. In return for long hours, some months more than others. Sounds like Gettin Ripped needs to ask his employer for more holidays.

Posted by Mary Todd, a resident of Amador Estates
on Feb 10, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Posted by Frank(ly) Disgusted, a resident of Foothill Farms
on Feb 10, 2014 at 12:38 pm

The Presidents Day is a twisted amalgamation of all the Presidents shoved into one slot so that the socalled slave emanciator Lincoln and the communist Republican Martin Luther King Day could be used to appeese entitlement groups. Mark my words. Somebody's going to come on here and advocate turning the city into a Afro-American Studies Department.

Posted by Joe, a resident of Ruby Hill
on Feb 10, 2014 at 1:19 pm

You guys must have the day off too. I was wondering how an article about no school would morph into a political diatribe...Frank(ly), please use spell check

Posted by President, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Feb 10, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Abraham Lincoln was a republican. The dems don't like to talk about that. I wonder what our greatest president would think about the joke we have at the helm today. Instead all the democrats would rather talk about Woody Allen.

Posted by Disgusted, a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Feb 10, 2014 at 6:13 pm

OK, Pleasanton Weekly, how come you tolerate the kind of bigoted comments like this one from 'Historian', but you immediately take down the more conservative postings before the ink has dried on the webpage???

Posted by Historian, a resident of California Reflections
on Feb 10, 2014 at 7:51 pm

(Removed because it referred to a removed post)

Posted by john, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Feb 12, 2014 at 10:33 am

"Everyone should take a moment today to reflect on what Abraham Lincoln would think of the state of America and American society today."

I think he would be amazed at how much progress we have made and how much better life in America is now compared to how it was at his time.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

To post your comment, please click here to login

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Circumstances without Pomp
By Roz Rogoff | 3 comments | 1,093 views

‘Much Ado’ or is it Adios for ObamaCare?
By Tom Cushing | 31 comments | 934 views