News


Pleasanton home damaged in fireplace blaze

Fireplace blaze burns through chimney lining

A house fire in Pleasanton left a family's home badly burned but nobody was hurt, firefighters said late Sunday.

The blaze was reported about 8 p.m. at the home of Tom and Kelly Opatz at 1008 Malaga Ct. in the upper Vintage Heights section of Pleasanton.

Livermore/Pleasanton firefighters at the scene said the fire started in the fireplace and burned through part of the chimney wall's lining, catching the attic and parts of the home's second floor on fire.

At least six fire trucks, three police cars and a paramedic responded to the blaze, which required firefighters to rip out part of the home's rear roof to reach the flames.

The homeowner and a neighbor were out for a walk when the fire occurred.

No estimate of damages was available.

Comments

 +   Like this comment
Posted by J Flack
a resident of Stoneridge
on Dec 23, 2013 at 10:15 am


Well, first it's a shame to lose one's house at anytime, but especially so close to the holidays. So sympathy to the family.

But, wasn't it a 'spare-the-air' day?

And who goes for a walk leaving a fire unattended in a fireplace?

Tough lesson,

JF


 +   Like this comment
Posted by RW Nuts
a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 23, 2013 at 10:24 am

It is so sad , and yes it was"spare the air". We see what wood burning can do in addition to creating unhealthy air in the community. But sadly some will now just continue to violate our health safety rules. But still sad for the family.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by Anna
a resident of Castlewood
on Dec 23, 2013 at 10:39 am

How sad to make an inappropriate comment when someone suffers a loss. By the way, there wasn't any spare the air alert in effect this weekend. The air police was kind enough to grant us two burn days this weekend.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by Rick
a resident of Vineyard Hills
on Dec 23, 2013 at 10:45 am

Article does not say it was a brick fireplace. Could have been a gas burning fireplace with a sheet metal flue going outside. Does not apply during "spare the Air"


 +   Like this comment
Posted by right wing nuts
a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 23, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Rick read again, burned through the chimney…. doesn't sound line non polluting gas fire.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING PEOPLE
a resident of Castlewood
on Dec 23, 2013 at 2:03 pm

HOUSE WAS A T-1-11 CONSTRUCTION HOME WITH METAL FLUE, SHOULDN'T BE BURNING ANYTHING MORE THAN A SINGLE DURAFLAME TYPE LOG. AND DEFINITLEY NOT LEAVE A FIRE UNATTENDED, *** EVER ***. GLAD NO ONE WAS HURT. HOPE DAMAGE WAS MIN.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by facts
a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 23, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Sunday was NOT a Spare the Air day. That fact aside, it doesn't seem "neighborly" to be commenting on that and ignoring that a family has been displaced by a tragedy, no matter one that's temporary. Best wishes to them; no fun indeed.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by Seriously people?
a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 23, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Apparently some people need to get empathy for Christmas. Come on.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by Perspective
a resident of Birdland
on Dec 23, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Seriously! Saying it's their fault for their house burning because they violated a supposed "spare the air day" is like telling someone in a car accident it's their fault because THEY chose to get into a car.

Ridiculous.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by john
a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 23, 2013 at 7:56 pm

perspective,

Violating spare the air is breaking the law. It isn't the same. Unless they are idiots, they probably have insurance.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by Stupid People
a resident of Birdland
on Dec 23, 2013 at 8:34 pm

It was NOT a spare the air day. How stupid are you people. It was a chimney fire. WOW. Stupid is as stupid does.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by Smiley Face
a resident of Castlewood
on Dec 26, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Spare the air day or not is irrelevant. Let's have some sympathy for those who lost their home during the holidays. But it's time for people to get out of the stone age and start using a natural gas furnace to warm their homes. Wood burning is so yesterday and that's where it should remain for the benefit of our health and the environment.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by liberalism is a disease
a resident of Birdland
on Dec 26, 2013 at 2:11 pm

liberalism is a disease is a registered user.

cholo, you dolt, it wasn't a spare the air day when this fire took place. The problem here may be that the article was in English. To translate for you, some poor family lost their house in a fire, possibly due to poor maintenance of their chimney.
Hell, even Tesla's catch fire, so you self righteous technology-bandwagon jumpers (yes, you Smiley Face) know that you shouldn't be preaching down to your neighbors because you may choose to think you're on the bleeding edge of technology. Of course, if your natural gas comes from the fracking process, I'm sure you're 100% behind that technology....hypocrite.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by Dave
a resident of Del Prado
on Dec 26, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Do we really need every Firetruck in town to respond? Talk about air pollution! Six truck/engines to respond to a two truck job plus six smaller response vehicles. The practice facility is on Bush Rd. Play with your ladders at that facility on a day that will be ok for the air quality. Do we know that the cause was actually from the chimney?


Note: Do not burn a Dura Flame with real wood


 +   Like this comment
Posted by right wing nuts
a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 26, 2013 at 10:34 pm

There you go again lid, laws are not for me… burn baby burn, less maintenance with gas fireplace, wood will speed up deterioration of brick fireplaces… come with us in to the current century and most of all respect all of us that want healthy air. Sorry the fire loss and that tragedy. But lid you and others just don't get it… so folks keep and up the good work and thank you for not polluting the air.


Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.

Email:


To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?
Forgot Password?
or register. This topic is only for those who have signed up to participate by providing their email address and establishing a screen name.

Prop 46: Two Bridges Too Far
By Tom Cushing | 21 comments | 1,537 views

The valley loses a distinguished and humble leader
By Tim Hunt | 2 comments | 986 views

My secret identity is revealed!
By Roz Rogoff | 2 comments | 982 views