Two local stores have been cited for selling tobacco to minors in an decoy operation conducted by Pleasanton police and the Alameda County Public Health Department.
Employees at both Raley's on Sunol Boulevard and the Shell gas station in the 5200 block of Hopyard Road both sold tobacco to the underage buyers. The clerks who sold to each were cited. Fines for sales to minors begin at $200.
Of the 41 businesses visited Tuesday, four were closed and 39 complied with the law. In each case, the underage undercover buyers were accompanied by plainclothes officers, who also checked to make sure that signs regarding sales to minors were posted and to see that each business had a valid tobacco sales licence.
It's the second undercover operation using minors in November. Earlier in the month, employees at 11 restaurants received citations for selling alcohol to minors.
On Nov. 15, citations were issued to employees at:
* Mama Rosa Pizza and Pasta, 6770 Santa Rita Road
* Alberto's Restaurant, 435 Main St.
* New York Pizza, 690 Main St.
* Lee Garden Restaurant, 5588 Springdale Ave.
* Ashoka Indian Cuisine, 3550 Stanley Blvd.
* India Garden, 210 Rose Ave.
* Joy Chinese Cuisine, 30 W. Angela St.
* Senro Sushi, 30 W. Neal St.
* Sozo Sushi, 2835 Hopyard Rd.
* Round Table Pizza, 4855 Hopyard Rd.
* Beijing Bistro, 6654 Koll Center Parkway
Those businesses also face administrative action against their liquor license by Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control, ranging from fines to suspension of a liquor license.