A Castro Valley man remains in custody on burglary and bad check charges at local jewelry stores that totaled more than $74,000, including $35,000 at Cardinal Jewelers in the 3000 block of Hopyard Road.
Chris Joseph Wade, 46, also has eight prior convictions that could boost his sentence under California's three-strikes law, which increases penalties for repeat offenders.
Court documents show Wade wrote multiple bad checks to Cardinal Jewelers for jewelry worth $35,593, and checks totaling $38,797 to three other area jewelery stores. He's also under investigation for similar crimes in Oakland, Berkeley and Woodland, according to court records.
Burglary charges can be added when a store is entered with the intent to steal.
In police reports:
* An attempted purse snatching was stopped when the victim fought off the would-be thief. The woman was near the intersection of W. Las Positas Boulevard and Springhouse Drive, walking home from 24 Hour Fitness at about 9:31 a.m. Nov. 6 when she was grabbed by a man who tried to take her purse. She began screaming and punching the man in the face, and he ran off.
* Nathaniel E. Wilkes, 26, of Oakland and Annemarie G. Morales, 30, of San Francisco were arrested at about 6:04 p.m. Nov. 6 for identity theft, forgery and burglary. The two allegedly had fraudulent identity information in their possession and tried to withdraw money from the Wells Fargo bank office inside Safeway. The bank called to report the attempted fraud. Wilkes was also arrested for resisting arrest.
* Police have suspects in a felony embezzlement from Eagle Capital in the 4300 block of First Street in an incident reported at 12:36 p.m. Nov. 10. The amount taken was not released.
* Transient Karrole Lynne Brown, 46, was arrested at about 8:59 a.m. on a Pleasanton felony warrant for theft from a dependent adult.
* Residents of a home in the 2700 block of Solandra Court reported jewelry worth $4,260 was stolen sometime between May 9 and Nov. 3. Among the items taken were a hairpin and earrings set worth $1,560, six pairs of earrings worth $900 and two rings worth $600.
* About $1,200 cash, a $300 laptop and car keys were stolen in a break in at a home in the 4800 block of Bernal Avenue sometime between 9:30 a.m. and 10:23 p.m. Nov. 7. A kitchen window had been left unlocked, providing access.
Under the law, those arrested are considered innocent until convicted.
Last week the Pleasanton Police Department also listed the following information in its log of incident reports.
- 3:49 p.m. in the 1000 block of Stoneridge Mall Road
- 8:32 a.m. in the 1800 block of Foxswallow Circle
- 9:59 a.m. in the 5200 block of Clubhouse Drive
- 11:08 a.m. in the 4300 block of Valley Avenue
- 3:22 p.m. in the 4700 block of First Street
- 5:21 p.m. in the 8000 block of Arroyo Drive; fraud
- 9:31 p.m. in the 7600 block of Chestnut Way
- 11:27 a.m. in the 4700 block of Saginaw Circle
- 5:42 p.m. in the 4400 block of Sutter Gate Avenue; DUI
- 9:36 p.m. in the 5800 block of Laurel Creek Drive; possession of methamphetamine
- 9:31 a.m. at the intersection of W. Las Positas Boulevard and Springhouse Drive
- 10:46 a.m. in the 6100 block of W. Las Positas Boulevard; shoplifting
- 11:06 a.m. in the 2300 block of Woodthrush Way; fraud
- 11:45 a.m. in the 3600 block of N. Glacier Court; bicycle theft
- 5:39 p.m. in the 1700 block of Santa Rita Road; fraud
- 9:56 a.m. in the 3500 block of Gresham Court
- 9:13 a.m. near the intersection of Stoneridge Drive and Interstate 680
- 6:33 p.m. in the 1700 block of Santa Rita Road
- 10:34 a.m. in the 2700 block of Solandra Court; theft from structure
- 10:53 a.m. in the 3400 block of Andrews Drive; bicycle theft
- 10:23 p.m. in the 4800 block of Bernal Avenue
- 7:10 a.m. in the 1300 block of Santa Rita Road
- 4:37 p.m. at the intersection of Vineyard Avenue and Bernal Avenue; DUI
- 8:46 p.m. in the 4500 block of Rosewood Drive; possession of a controlled substance, paraphernalia possession
- 2:35 p.m. in the 5000 block of Golden Road; fraud
- 5:15 p.m. in the 4400 block of Hacienda Drive; bicycle theft
- 6:40 p.m. in the 3100 block of Santa Rita Road; shoplifting
- 8:18 a.m. in the 7300 block of Shady Mill Lane
- 11:30 a.m. in the 5200 block of Golden Road
- 1:49 p.m. in the 4400 block of Willow Road
- 6:45 a.m. in the 4000 block of Francisco Street
- 4:30 a.m. in the 6400 block of Owens Drive
- 2:36 p.m. in the 4300 block of Rosewood Drive
- 1:08 a.m. in the 1800 block of Santa Rita Road
- 12:36 p.m. in the 4300 block of First Street; embezzlement
- 7:57 p.m. in the 2800 block of Hopyard Road; shoplifting
- 11:41 a.m. in the 1600 block of Calle Santiago; possession of methamphetamine
- 1:39 p.m. in the 1000 block of Stoneridge Mall Road
- 8:15 p.m. in the 5800 block of Stoneridge Mall Road
- 12:38 a.m. in the 6000 block of Johnson Drive; possession of a controlled substance
- 11:53 p.m. at the intersection of First Street and Neal Street; marijuana possession