Strong winds leave Valley residents in the dark

Gusts topping 75 mph reported

Strong winds toppled trees across the Tri-Valley overnight and almost 700 people in Pleasanton without power Sunday morning.

Gusts on the Altamont Pass were up to 75 mph, while winds at San Francisco and Oakland international airports were up to 50 mph, National Weather Service Forecaster Steve Anderson said.

A regional wind advisory issued by the National Weather Service was in effect until 3 a.m. Monday. Gusts have died down significantly since then, to 10-20 mph, Anderson said.

At one point, PG&E reported nearly 700 without power in Pleasanton. More than 2,300 people lost power in the Danville and Alamo area.

In Danville, shortly before 8:30 p.m., a tree struck a power line in the Iron Horse Trail area near Hemme and La Serena avenues, knocking out power to about 2,170 customers.

Power was restored to 800 of those customers by 10 p.m., and all had their power back by 8:15 a.m. Monday, PG&E spokesman Jason King said.

The California Highway Patrol issued wind advisories for bridges including the Bay Bridge and the Benicia-Martinez Bridge.

The San Francisco Public Works Department responded to 16 downed trees Sunday evening, department spokeswoman Rachel Gordon said. The trees fell at spots including at Van Ness Avenue and Pine Street, Fillmore Street and Pacific Avenue, and Brotherhood Way and Lake Merced Boulevard, Gordon said.

In three instances, vehicles were hit but there were no injuries, she said.

The high winds also blew significant amounts of sand onto The Great Highway, which has been closed since shortly before 6 a.m., Gordon said.

Power was knocked out on Treasure Island around 7:30 p.m. Sunday, when a tree branch downed a power line, San Francisco Public Utilities Commission spokesman Tyrone Jue said. He said crews were able to make repairs and restore power by 10 p.m.

In San Francisco, power went out to about 5,600 PG&E customers in Nob Hill, Russian Hill and Ghirardelli Square around 10:25 p.m. Sunday after debris knocked down a power line, King said.

Crews had power back to all customers by 2:30 a.m. Monday, he said.


There are no comments yet. Please share yours below.

Post a comment

Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online. Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information and opinion. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.

Name: *

Select your neighborhood or school community: *

Choose a category: *

Since this is the first comment on this story a new topic will also be started in Town Square! Please choose a category that best describes this story.

Comment: *

Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.

*Required Fields

Another bad idea from the air board
By Tim Hunt | 14 comments | 959 views

Exchange Club Meeting on First Amendment
By Roz Rogoff | 0 comments | 558 views