Pedestrian hit trying to cross I-580

Pickup truck swerves, but can't avoid accident

One lane of I-580 in Pleasanton was blocked Saturday after a truck hit a pedestrian who was reportedly attempting to cross the freeway, the CHP reported.

This story contains 97 words.

If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.

If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.

— Bay City News Service

Like this comment
Posted by jeffery kellam
a resident of another community
on Oct 27, 2013 at 8:16 am

I was in the next lane over and as I passed him I was praying that he didn't step out. I was looking in my mirror as it happened. my prayers go out to his family and especially the individual who struck him

Like this comment
Posted by Lynn
a resident of another community
on Oct 27, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I went by as this happened yesterday, too. I hope there's an update on his condition. Such a helpless feeling to see it happen and there's nothing you can do.

Like this comment
Posted by Mary
a resident of Del Prado
on Oct 28, 2013 at 9:09 am

Such a sad event. Hopefully the pedestrian wasn't dealing with emotional issues that led to his thoughts about crossing a freeway on foot. Prayers that he'll recover and get the help needed.

Jeffrey, please contact CHIPS or the police department and give a statement. It would be awful if the driver has to face a future lawsuit, adding to what must be unimaginable emotional strain over this. Prayers to him, as well.

Like this comment
Posted by Ann
a resident of Verona
on Oct 28, 2013 at 11:08 am

I drove past the person in the road what must have been only minutes after it happened- at least 6 cars had pulled over to help, and there was some debris in the road. I have been thinking about this ever since and am hoping for a positive outcome for all involved. This was really shocking to witness.

Like this comment
Posted by P-Town Neighbor
a resident of Amador Estates
on Oct 28, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Why would someone be on the freeway in the first place?
Let alone running across it?

Like this comment
Posted by Brian
a resident of another community
on Oct 28, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Hi, thank you all for the comments and messages of concern. I am the brother of the young man (pedestrian) that was struck by the truck on I 580 Saturday afternoon. He is in ICU but does not have life threatening injuries. I would also like to thank the first responders to the scene and the good Samaritans that pulled over to help. We don't know why he was crossing the freeway at this time and has no memory of the incident. If anybody could shed some more light on the incident I would be grateful.

Like this comment
Posted by Mary
a resident of Del Prado
on Oct 29, 2013 at 8:15 am

Brian, it is with much relief that we hear your update on your brother. Losing memory of accidents is quite common and may be helpful to one's psychi. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery! Thank goodness for the samaritans for stopping and helping as expeditiously as possible.

To post your comment, please login or register at the top of the page. This topic is only for those who have signed up to participate by providing their email address and establishing a screen name.

Prop 56: Tax ‘em if you smoke ‘em