News

Pedestrian hit trying to cross I-580

Pickup truck swerves, but can't avoid accident

One lane of I-580 in Pleasanton was blocked Saturday after a truck hit a pedestrian who was reportedly attempting to cross the freeway, the CHP reported.

The collision involving the truck and pedestrian was reported around 1:10 p.m. on eastbound 580 in Pleasanton near the Hopyard Road exit.

The pedestrian reportedly ran from the center divider across the roadway and an oncoming pickup truck swerved but was unable to avoid hitting

the person, according to the CHP.

The CHP is reporting that the pedestrian appears to have suffered serious injuries in the collision.

— Bay City News Service

Comments

Posted by jeffery kellam, a resident of another community
on Oct 27, 2013 at 8:16 am

I was in the next lane over and as I passed him I was praying that he didn't step out. I was looking in my mirror as it happened. my prayers go out to his family and especially the individual who struck him

Posted by Lynn, a resident of another community
on Oct 27, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I went by as this happened yesterday, too. I hope there's an update on his condition. Such a helpless feeling to see it happen and there's nothing you can do.

Posted by Mary, a resident of Del Prado
on Oct 28, 2013 at 9:09 am

Such a sad event. Hopefully the pedestrian wasn't dealing with emotional issues that led to his thoughts about crossing a freeway on foot. Prayers that he'll recover and get the help needed.

Jeffrey, please contact CHIPS or the police department and give a statement. It would be awful if the driver has to face a future lawsuit, adding to what must be unimaginable emotional strain over this. Prayers to him, as well.

Posted by Ann, a resident of Verona
on Oct 28, 2013 at 11:08 am

I drove past the person in the road what must have been only minutes after it happened- at least 6 cars had pulled over to help, and there was some debris in the road. I have been thinking about this ever since and am hoping for a positive outcome for all involved. This was really shocking to witness.

Posted by P-Town Neighbor, a resident of Amador Estates
on Oct 28, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Why would someone be on the freeway in the first place?
Let alone running across it?

Posted by Brian, a resident of another community
on Oct 28, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Hi, thank you all for the comments and messages of concern. I am the brother of the young man (pedestrian) that was struck by the truck on I 580 Saturday afternoon. He is in ICU but does not have life threatening injuries. I would also like to thank the first responders to the scene and the good Samaritans that pulled over to help. We don't know why he was crossing the freeway at this time and has no memory of the incident. If anybody could shed some more light on the incident I would be grateful.

Brian

Posted by Mary, a resident of Del Prado
on Oct 29, 2013 at 8:15 am

Brian, it is with much relief that we hear your update on your brother. Losing memory of accidents is quite common and may be helpful to one's psychi. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery! Thank goodness for the samaritans for stopping and helping as expeditiously as possible.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

To post your comment, please click here to login

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Preserving Disorder
By Tom Cushing | 73 comments | 2,056 views

The drought drives lawmakers to action

CPRA: Balancing privacy, public's right to know
By Gina Channell-Allen | 2 comments | 133 views