News

Teen driver leaves scene of single-vehicle crash

Father IDs driver as his son, refuses to say where he is

Pleasanton police are continuing to investigate a single-vehicle crash early Thursday on Ruby Hill Drive.

The call to the 3400 block of E. Ruby Hill Drive at about 12:21 a.m. originally came in as a rollover crash, according to Pleasanton police Sgt. Robert Leong. On arrival, police found the car engulfed in flames, but no driver was in sight.

Leong said the initial report of a rollover was mistaken.

"It looks like it hit some kind of curb," he said. PG&E was called out there, some water folks were called out."

Police received a call at about 6:40 a.m. today that the 19-year-old had returned to his home. Meanwhile, Leong said, police are hoping for witnesses who might say who else was in the vehicle.

"We're concerned that if there was anybody else in the car that they're all right, their health and safety," he said.

The collision remains under investigation. Anyone with information is asked to call the Pleasanton Police Department at 931-5100.

Comments

Posted by resident
on Oct 17, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Oh Please, not again. ...Who supplied the drugs and alcohol this time?,,,(Comments partially removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff as innuendo, hearsay or specific accusatory information unsupported by facts.)

Posted by Leland
a resident of Ruby Hill
on Oct 17, 2013 at 12:35 pm

(Post makes no sense and has been removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff.)

Posted by anon
on Oct 17, 2013 at 1:44 pm

(Post deemed inappropriate by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff)

Posted by resident
on Oct 17, 2013 at 2:41 pm

(Post deemed inappropriate by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff)

Posted by Downtown
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Oct 17, 2013 at 2:55 pm

(Post deemed inappropriate by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff)

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Oct 17, 2013 at 3:22 pm

May I suggest that before all the facts are known, please manage your tempers.

Posted by Leland
a resident of Ruby Hill
on Oct 17, 2013 at 3:29 pm

(Post deemed inappropriate by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff)

Posted by Suzy
a resident of Amador Estates
on Oct 17, 2013 at 3:48 pm

(Post deemed inappropriate by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff)

Posted by WhatsUp
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Oct 17, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Seems a little too convenient that the driver walked away and could not be questioned, or more important, undergo a breathalyzer test. Father's behavior in not telling police where he was is questionable at best.

Posted by Lee Roberts
a resident of Kottinger Ranch
on Oct 17, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I am so surprised at people like Leland. He is (Word removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff) The father should be charged along with the son. It is obvious that the kid was coming back drunk after a all night party. So he just disappears and comes back when he is sober.
Parents who condone such behavior have to repent latter.

Posted by Leland
a resident of Ruby Hill
on Oct 17, 2013 at 11:03 pm

(Post deemed inappropriate by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff)

Posted by Member
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 18, 2013 at 8:36 am

Okay to all the judgmental soccer moms that are posting rude comments. at least wait until you know all the facts of what happened. if i was in an accident and saw my car going up in flames, i would run as far away as i could. its called panicking. and how would you feel if this was your kid in this situation and you had all of pleasanton bashing your name AND theirs?? its so sad to see that even adults have to act like high school teenagers and gossip without knowing anything about what truly happened. and if the father knew the whereabouts of his son, i am sure he would have told the police. you do not know any of the people who were involved, nor do i. therefor it is not any of our places to pass judgment. grow up please. find something better to do with your day.

Posted by Mitch
a resident of another community
on Oct 18, 2013 at 8:54 am

(Post removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff as irrelevant to this thread.)

Posted by Leland
a resident of Ruby Hill
on Oct 18, 2013 at 9:12 am

(Post removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff as irrelevant to this thread.)

Posted by Leland
a resident of Ruby Hill
on Oct 18, 2013 at 9:40 am

(Post removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff as irrelevant to this thread.)

Posted by None of the Above
on Oct 18, 2013 at 10:25 am

@Leland,

This just seems like it was written from a press release.

Where's the innuendo and hearsay?

Whether the kid was intoxicated or not, he crashed his car and left the scene. Not the actions of a responsible person.

Posted by Leland
a resident of Ruby Hill
on Oct 18, 2013 at 11:27 am

(Post deemed inappropriate by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff)

Posted by Anonymous
on Oct 18, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Member said, "Okay to all the judgmental soccer moms that are posting rude comments. at least wait until you know all the facts of what happened. if i was in an accident and saw my car going up in flames, i would run as far away as i could. its called panicking. and how would you feel if this was your kid in this situation...."

Your definition of panicking is a crime in California. Anytime a vehicle is involved in a collision, you can't just run away. From this article, he was anything but responsible here. And if you are saying you would do the same thing, I would hope you would end up at Santa Rita. How would I feel if this it was my kid in that situation? I would personally turn him in myself for breaking the law and not using common sense or good judgment. That is how I would feel.

Hopefully this kid will face charges for at least fleeing the scene of a collision. It would be even better if the dad faced charges for obstructing an investigation. Just because you have money and live in Ruby Hills, does not mean you can cover up for your kid who just committed a crime and expect everything will be okay.

Posted by None of the Above
on Oct 18, 2013 at 2:02 pm

@Leland

Did you actually read the story?

"While police were on the scene, a man arrived and told them his 19-year-old son was the driver, but refused to give the teen's whereabouts."

Posted by Sal
a resident of Vineyard Hills
on Oct 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Sounds like "member" is also little nervous and panicky about the situation. Perhaps you are too closely involved to be telling people what to do here, since we are not all "soccer moms" as you put it. In fact you'd probably run from me like the fiery scene of this accident if you ever saw me in person. Do you think you can control a forum? Don't make me laugh. I don't take orders from you and I'll voice my opinion whenever I want to.

Most of us never would wind up in such a ridiculous and dangerous scene in the first place. We don't see our cars ablaze and then run and hide; such as the alleged guilty and possibly intoxicated one who could be a delinquent might be apt to do. Who taught this kid to drive anyway, the father/alleged co-conspirator? Cars aren't meant to be disposable like a Dixie cup. What an embarrassing display of ineptitude! Looks like a classic case of an inebriated teen fleeing the scene and conspiring to cover up the inferno with a soft downy pillow.

Posted by Diana Champlin
a resident of Ruby Hill
on Oct 18, 2013 at 3:19 pm

My husband and I live in the court right where this happened. We both heard a crash and ran outside to see what happened. We couldn't believe that a car had exploded into a ball of fire. My husband tried to get close enough to see if anyone was in the car. Thankfully no one was in the car. We were in shock. I immediately called 911. Other neighbors ran out to see what happened. We were all relieved that no one was in the car but were very concerned about the driver and/or passengers of the car. I couldn't stop wondering where the driver went and what condition he/she was in. The firemen, police, and PG&E were here all hours of the night. I went to bed shaken because another kid made a terrible mistake. I thought some parent is going to be really angry that his kid destroyed a car; however, would be grateful their child wasn't dead.

I hope the person who caused this accident makes severe changes in his life and that the parents make the child accountable for his actions. Thankfully, no one was killed. This could have been horrific.

Posted by Truth
on Oct 18, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Member....what you fail to realize is the father admitted his son was driving and knew where he was. He then protected his kid by obstructing the police investigation. I hope they charge the dad as well.....just another example of the privileged acting out as if the law does not apply to them....hopefully the driver doesn't raise his own kids this way.

Posted by Mike Champlin
a resident of Ruby Hill
on Oct 18, 2013 at 6:51 pm

As my wife stated previously we live adjacent to where this accident occurred and I was the first person on the scene. I heard the crash and explosion and was out in the street no more then one minute after the crash occurred. It was horrific and I came very close to diving into the car thinking people were trapped inside. Had I done that, I likely would have been seriously injured or perhaps killed for no reason. I understand that whoever was driving that car was likely scared or perhaps intoxicated or likely both but it was very irresponsible for him to leave the scene and even more irresponsible for his parents to protect him and not let him take responsibility for his actions. I don't know who you are but I hope you and your parents realize how lucky you are to have survived. That car went up in flames within seconds of hitting that electrical box and the flames were intense. I have never witnessed anything like that and still can't stop thinking about what happened that night.

Posted by Leland
a resident of Ruby Hill
on Oct 18, 2013 at 7:02 pm

As a fellow Ruby Hiller, I thank for you getting so close to almost being a hero, Mike. I almost dove into a raging river once to save my brother's Yankees hat. . . . But to the point: You mention the kid was either scared or intoxicated. Did you see him or talk to him? Did he tell you this? How do you know he wasn't high on drugs ... (Comments partially removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff for containing unverified or personal information.)

Posted by Run from the fire
a resident of Castlewood
on Oct 18, 2013 at 11:36 pm

. . . Yeah the editors can be a pain and we know this but the real question is, who would make such a ludicrous series of rants. Why would anyone want to defend this . . . if they weren't connected to him?

What if there was a trapped passenger or the whole block had burned to the ground. Would that be a tiresome, bromidic blip on the radar from atop your castle of spurious orgins.
. . . (Comments partially removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff for containing unverified or personal information.)

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Vote YES on Measures 45, 46, & 47, NO on 48
By Roz Rogoff | 30 comments | 2,115 views

Prop 47: not perfect, just preferable.
By Tom Cushing | 2 comments | 821 views

The Vranesh situation heads to court