News

Animal Rescue needs help now

Dogs, cats regularly being euthanized due to lack of space at shelter

There has been a dramatic decline in kitten, cat, dog and puppy adoptions this summer, reports Tri-Valley Animal Rescue, and a record number of animals are available.

The 2013 kitten season started late this year due to cool temperatures, which resulted in a staggering number of kittens arriving at the East County Animal Shelter in Dublin late spring.

"Kittens, cats, dogs and puppies continue to arrive at the shelter, but adoptions have been at a near-standstill," according to a press release. "Maybe adopters are on vacation, waiting for school to start before adopting, we just don't know.

"What we do know is that shelter dogs, puppies, kittens and cats are regularly being euthanized due to lack of space at the shelter and foster homes are staying full without adoptions."

Cats go into heat every six to 12 weeks when temperatures are warm, which is most of the year in the Tri-Valley. One female cat can have up to four or five litters of kittens each year and a female dog can have two to three litters.

For more information go to www.tvar.org, email contact@tvar.org, or call 519-9898.

TVAR is the largest animal rescue organization in the Tri-Valley area, finding homes for over 1,000 kittens, cats, dog and puppies each year. All of its animals are spayed/neutered, vaccinated, microchipped for identification, FIV/FeLV tested (felines).

Tri-Valley Animal Rescue supports the East County Animal Shelter in Dublin. The shelter looks to local rescues (mainly TVAR) to take animals they can't keep due to young age, lack of space or minor illnesses.

Dogs and cats come from the public (owner surrenders), are found in yards, and are picked up by Animal Control as they are reported when found in parking lots, gardens, etc.

Comments

Posted by Linda
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Aug 9, 2013 at 8:43 am

The decline in adoptions is because if you rent the Landlords charge a high deposit and a monthly fee. People can't afford a pet for their children.

Posted by Laurel
a resident of Stoneridge
on Aug 9, 2013 at 8:55 am

That is definitely a big part of the problem Linda!!!! $500 deposit for a cat, then $35/month! Seriously!! That, along with all of the costs associated with having a pet. Rents are already insane! I am sad to hear about this issue and will be thinking about and hoping for a solution. Spay and neuter your pets people!!!!!

Posted by Suzy
a resident of Amador Estates
on Aug 9, 2013 at 11:53 am

Yes,Laurel and Linda are absolutely correct! I would love to get a companion kitty for my cat, who is missing his brother kitty that went to kitty heaven this year. But that would mean another $500 deposit and an additional $50 per month (not to mention the $50 a month I already pay for the one I have). Landlords know that people will pay to keep their pets but it still makes it very difficult.

Posted by former landlord
a resident of another community
on Aug 9, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Having been a landlord for nearly 30 years I can tell you that people with pets just do not care about the damage done to a home they do not own. I have had to replace carpets, drapes, subfloors, hardwood floors and even sheetrock because of the damage done by pets. The pet deposit and the added monthly rent does not come near the actual cost to the landlord to repair and replace damaged items and the constant need to spray for fleas and other pests. For the last years of my life as a landlord I had a strict policy of no pets and no smokers. Amazing how the properties stayed in nice condition during that time. Rarely even needed new paint.

Posted by PetsNoMore
on Aug 12, 2013 at 10:29 am

I am a landlord that just cleaned out a vacated apartment where the first thing we had to do was haul out buckets of dog excrement. Then I had to replace all the carpeting, replace the furniture, replace the front door, patch the drywall, and repaint -- all due to dog damage. I thought about raising the security deposit to $10,000 for pet owners, but decided it's just must simpler to make our units pet free.

Posted by Don
a resident of Ironwood
on Aug 12, 2013 at 4:23 pm

I live in a senior housing complex that is very animal friendly and we do not experience any problems. People do put down a small deposit, which is normal, but this place is very pet friendly for seniors.
Now.....I do have a big problem with the City Of Pleasanton's Ridgeview Commons Senior Complex located on Case Ave. They allow NO!! pets anywhere on the property. I have never received an answer from anyone in the City Of Pleasanton's government as to why.... I have asked about this many times as I know that many of those seniors living there would dearly love to have a cat or small dog. Animals help keep seniors alive and they are so much company.

Posted by SavingBandit
a resident of West of Foothill
on Aug 12, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Hundreds of animals (adoptable dogs and cats) are euthanized every month, seriously, that could otherwise go to nice and responsible pet owners. While not everyone can take responsibility for a pet due to whether or not they are homeowners, landlord doesn't allow pets or deposit is too high, there are indeed many who can take a pet in as either a foster or adopt. Instead, many people breed their pets for a profit or support appalling puppy mills and the suffering that goes on there, etc. and these are the dogs/cats that end up in the shelters only to be euthanized.

We humans need to wake up to the fact that masses of pets are being euthanized and either donate, foster, adopt, help educate. It breaks my heart daily to see what is happening all around us these days.

If you can't adopt, please consider giving/donating to the local shelter or rescue and trust me, even if you can't have that pet, you'd be saving it. I am not affiliated with the local shelter or rescue but I do my part to help save pets anyway I can all over, regardless where they are. Thanks for reading.