News

KPIX confirms that Seattle weathercaster will replace Pleasanton's Roberta Gonzales as weekday anchor

Paul Deanno takes over Aug. 30 with Gonzales moving to weekends, 'field' assignments

KPIX, the CBS station in San Francisco, confirmed Tuesday that it is replacing Roberta Gonzales as its weeknight weather anchor with Paul Deanno, currently the No. 2 meteorologist (weathercaster) at Seattle's KOMO, also a CBS-affiliated station.

Especially popular in Pleasanton because she lives here and frequently names the city in her weather broadcasts, Gonzales said she won't be leaving the station. KPIX said in the press release that Gonzales "is taking on a new role anchoring weekend weathercasts, with additional weather reporting responsibilities in the field during the week."

Effective Thursday, Aug. 30, Deanno will take over Gonzales job as weathercaster on Channel 5's Monday-through-Friday early evening and late newscasts.

Deanno has been at KOMO-TV in Seattle for the past three years. Prior to that, he was chief meteorologist at WTVJ-TV in Miami, and meteorologist at KYW-TV in Philadelphia and at KENS-TV in San Antonio. He also previously worked as a news anchor and reporter in Spokane, Medford and Utica.

The KPIX press release said that Deanno is the recipient of three Emmy awards, the first broadcast meteorologist to have filled in on both The "Today" Show and "Good Morning America," and has also provided severe weather coverage for MSNBC, CNN, The Weather Channel and NBC Nightly News.

Deanno received a communications degree from Syracuse University, studied weather at Mississippi State University and holds a certificate in Broadcast Meteorology, as well as seals from the National Weather Association and American Meteorological Society, KPIX said.

Deanno will move to Walnut Creek with his wife, Suzanne, and their two sons, KPIX added.

Dan Rosenheim, vice president and news director of KPIX, said Gonzales has been assigned a new role of anchoring weekend weathercasts, "with additional weather reporting responsibilities in the field during the week."

"Gonzales has brought a unique blend of talent and enthusiasm to morning and evening news for many years at CBS 5 and CW Bay Area, and she has been extensively involved in the community," Rosenheim said.

"I am very excited both to welcome Paul and to have Roberta in a dynamic new role," Rosenheim said. "With Paul, Roberta, and morning weather anchor Lawrence Karnow, we have three exceptionally talented weathercasters, and we will now be the only station in the Bay Area with three full time staff weather anchors."

Many commentators on Facebook, where Gonzales is a frequent contributor, have been asking about her rumored reassignment: "Is it true, Roberta?"

Gonzales responded: "Over 16 yrs at CBS 5 and I wanted all of you, my fb friends, to know...YES I am staying here at CBS 5! For months I have been working with CBS, developing a unique position to Anchor and REPORT on the weather! I want to thank all of you for your love and support during this time of change."

"I am extremely excited to embrace this new challenge!" she added on Facebook. "And I need all of YOU to give me your ideas on WEATHER stories! Topics and places to go to report on the WEATHER! Yay!!! The best way you can share your ideas is email me at: gonzales@kpix.cbs.com Love you all...."

To another Facebook friend, she responded: "I'm really excited! I believe I do my best work when I am LIVE Reporting outside on the Community instead of always being stuck in a Studio. Bring it and I'm hoping for a rainy winter!"

Gonzales, who lives in Pleasanton, has been an on-air asset for the city and its schools.

Temperature reports are frequently cited from one of the schools here and East Bay temperatures and forecasts often name Pleasanton as a key city.

Comments

Posted by Interested
on Aug 6, 2012 at 10:22 am

Roberta posted on her FB page that she is staying with CBS and will be in a slightly different role, anchoring and reporting on weather.

Posted by joanna
on Aug 6, 2012 at 11:20 pm

I Love Roberta, both on TV and radio KCBS. They would be stupid to replace her--what are they thinking?!

Posted by wendy
a resident of Walnut Hills
on Aug 7, 2012 at 8:35 am

Roberta is a local treasure and a real asset to Channel 5. First they disposed of John Kessler and Sydnie Kohara....if they eliminate Roberta's position, I will stop watching that channel.

Posted by Susie
a resident of Country Fair
on Aug 7, 2012 at 9:06 am

I agree--the best weatherperson on TV and the only reason we watch Channel 5 News. We don't need someone from Seattle to predict our forecast!

Posted by No Ditzes
on Aug 7, 2012 at 9:18 am

I disagree. In recent years, Roberta has become increasingly ditzy and her weather forecasts have become less factual and more Hollywood-y. Maybe she should have spent more time concentrating on her job and less time running marathons and travelling in Europe.

Posted by Briana
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Aug 7, 2012 at 9:23 am

This really saddens me. Roberta has an on air presence that most newscasters can't come close to. To add to that she is an amazing person and role model for our daughters. We bumped into her at Lake Del Valle and she came up to us and initiated a friendly conversation she is so warm and genuine and sheakes you feel like you've been her friend forever. Later while we were fishing she was swimming the lake training for a Triathalon. Add to that what she does for her hometown and the entire Tri-Valley area, she is an endless champion for our local schools. I will probably not watch CBS news if they replace her.

Posted by Mike
a resident of another community
on Aug 7, 2012 at 9:24 am

I, for one, would like to see her tone her act down a bit. It's like she owns the place sometimes. She used to walk across the news set before commerical breaks, waving... who the hell does she think she is? I think she does an OK job as a weather anchor, but she really injects herself innapropriately sometimes. Is there any other station in the country that allows the weather anchor to be the last one to say "good night" at the end of the newscast? I don't like to see anyone lose their job, but she can be very annoying. If she stays at channel 5, I hope they get her to cool it a bit.

Posted by Tom
a resident of Country Fair
on Aug 7, 2012 at 10:41 am

Every one is entitled to their opinion, and I must say this, all of you who are against this dedicated woman are in no way humans with a heart. She's never done a thing to you except get under your skin..you are nothing but jealous and selfish individuals . Shame on you..she has more friends than you'll ever have. I'm glad I'm not related to you so called snakes. Evil People !!! I for one will certainly support her and wish her well, it will be a great loss and if she moves on then I too will move on.

Sad to see her go...

Posted by Dave Walden
a resident of another community
on Aug 7, 2012 at 11:17 am

Dave Walden is a registered user.

It cannot be. Roberta shines on the TV and brings great recognition to Pleasanton. This will be somewhat like when Pete Giddings left.

Good luck Roberta - You have spoken to the Rotary Club of Pleasanton in the past with your husband. I remember one day at the Pleasanton Hotel when he was speaking and I brought you in a surprise. Stay or go, you will always be a favorite.

Posted by May
a resident of Del Prado
on Aug 7, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I have my hair done at the same salon that Roberta goes to and when she is there she wants all the attention..Once the stylist doing my hair had to go help the stylist doing her's..I was not happy!!
I like the salon but changed stylist...

Posted by John
a resident of Dublin
on Aug 7, 2012 at 4:55 pm

In Television there has been and always will be a different standard for men and women! Roberta is a lovely intelligent women who is a credit to the industry! But lets not forget TV is all about ratings....And If the lead anchor is a man and He happens to wear the same shirt,tie and jacket all week long..nobody makes seems to care....but alas a Woman who wears the same outfit twice in a 2 week span will be called out...and if the Ratings start to fade....the first thing that is looked at is who happens to be the most senior gal on the team? (is it time we get a younger person for the job?) I hope in the situation that this is not the case and that Roberta is able to somewhat dictate her own wants and needs for her next assignment....but alas....its all about ratings and more times than not the wrong person gets their head chopped off for the wrong reason? Just an opinion! What do i know...I am just a viewer?

Posted by Anon
on Aug 7, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I have a lot of respect for Roberta, having been to numerous charity events where she and her husband have participated, including Rotary. I hope she enjoys her new role, spending less time as an anchor and more time in the field.

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Not Endorsements
By Roz Rogoff | 9 comments | 1,259 views

A second half of life exceptionally well lived
By Tim Hunt | 1 comment | 680 views