News

Strike temporarily shuts down Golden Gate Ferry service

Main issues with unions are wages, medical costs, changes to pension plan for new hires

Golden Gate Ferry service will be shut down this morning because of a strike planned by the ferry workers, a district spokeswoman said Monday.

The strike is being organized by the Golden Gate Bridge Labor Coalition, a group of more than 380 bridge, bus and ferry workers employed by the Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District.

The action has prompted the bridge district to shut down the ferry service between San Francisco and Sausalito and Larkspur until this afternoon. Service will resume from Sausalito at 1:55 p.m. and from Larkspur at 2:15 p.m., district spokeswoman Mary Currie said.

Commuters taking the ferry Monday were notified about the planned shutdown via an intercom message, Currie said.

Bridge and bus service will continue operating normally Tuesday.

The coalition has been in negotiations with district management since April 2011 but have not come to an agreement on a new contract. The previous contract expired in July.

"We have been negotiating in good faith for one year now. The district says they appreciate workers but they have shown no appreciation at

the bargaining table," Rene Alvarado, a ferry terminal assistant and member of the Inlandboatmen's Union, said in a statement.

Currie said that the district's proposals have been "fair and equitable" and in line with contracts agreed to by other local jurisdictions.

She said containment of medical costs, wages, and a change to the pension plan for new hires are the three main issues still getting in the way

of an agreement.

The two sides are set to return to the bargaining table on May 7.

Along with the strike by ferry workers on Tuesday, the coalition plans to hold picket lines at the three Golden Gate Ferry terminal locations.

Workers will begin picketing at 5:30 a.m. at the Larkspur and San Francisco ferry terminals and at 6 a.m. at the Sausalito terminal.

Erika Heidecker, Bay City News

— Bay City News Service

Comments

Posted by Anti-union, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 1, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Corrections and changes must be made. For the greedy dummies who don't grasp reality, give them the boot ! The taxpayers and public cannot be held hostage..,We are the employers, if workers don't like it, they can be replaced ! There are long lines waiting to replace them.

Posted by Adrian Burschlasser, a resident of Bridle Creek
on May 2, 2012 at 12:05 am

The creeps should simply take a reduced wage, pay higher medical costs, and forfeit their pensions. Who do they think they are? Don't they realize we have families to feed? I earn -- and I mean I EARN -- $750 grand per year (not including my stock options), and I and my family are strapped beyond belief. I'm flat broke. How do they expect us to live? Early this year we had to dip into the $10 million inheritance pot that my Daddy stipulated was only to be drawn from in the event of nuclear war. Do they have no sensitivity to how that has hurt me? They have no shame, sir! Well, these dock workers, these greedy dummies, are breaking my back and my Daddy is rolling over in his grave. They are monsters.

Posted by Anti-union, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 2, 2012 at 8:33 am

Adrian, regardless of your good fortune, that has zero to do with the mentality of extortion and holding the public hostage. Reality should be the rule, not personal greed.

Posted by Adrian Burschlasser, a resident of Bridle Creek
on May 2, 2012 at 9:17 am

You are so right, sir! I meant to say not only that these union monsters are monsters, but that they are personally greedy monsters. It is against the rules of reality that they would seek to put their interests above my own. They should accept reality and take reduced wage, with higher medical costs (my own insurance co-payment went from $5 to 10$ for a doctor's visit, now what do you think of that?), and above all, reality dictates that they forfeit their pensions. They need to get real. Its for the public good. I hope Governor Moonbeam sends in the National Guard to deal with these greedy unrealistic dummies.

Posted by Anti-union, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 2, 2012 at 10:26 am

I love to mix it up with smart axxes. Since I'm a senior without any pension, reality is all I know. I know real estate value is based on whateve a 'willing buyer is willing to pay'. Thus, employment would similarly be based on what an employer is willing to pay for the skills required and how many peole with those skills are willing to take the position. There are no guarantees in life including life itself.

Posted by Adrian Borschlasser, a resident of Bridle Creek
on May 2, 2012 at 4:05 pm

It's a shame no one found that what Anti-union did in his life was valuable enough to offer him a pension package along with salary (assuming, of course, that the loser even worked at all).

Now, because in fact we don't live in a free market society -- never have, never will -- I'm able to exploit my workers on virtually every level imaginable. I offer them less and they take less because they know if they don't I'll hire some poor desperate stiff from the unemployment rolls who's willing to work for less than half of what he's worth. (That's why I do my best to make sure they don't organize and form a union.)

It makes sense for ME to criticize the ferry workers. Whatever inroads they make cuts into MY wealth; and people like me shouldn't have to live on less than $1 million a year. But when you're an unfortunate loser like Anti-union, poorly educated and poorly skilled, I guess in all that ignorance it makes sense to criticize ferry workers for attempting to improve the lives of themselves and their families. Forgive me if I chuckle. It's a great society we live in, isn't it? I can just picture Anti-union and the rest of the simple-minded country bumpkins, hanging out at a tea bag festival, drowning their sorrows in corndogs, deluding themselves with myths of the existence of free enterprise, and wanting to bring back the original Constitution which okayed owning darkies as private property.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.