News

At-home resident foils burglary attempt

Break-in tied to another the same day

A Pleasanton resident interrupted a daytime break-in Monday morning, one of three daytime burglaries that occurred over the last week, according to police reports.

The man, at his home in the 8000 block of Regency Drive, heard his doorbell ring at about 11:35 a.m. but chose not to answer it. Moments later, he spotted a man trying to enter the home by forcing open a sliding window on the side yard.

"Upon being seen by the resident, the would-be burglar fled to the street and into an awaiting black, four-door sedan with two occupants," according to a news release. "The vehicle sped out of the Laguna Oaks development toward Foothill Road."

The homeowner called Pleasanton Police Department to report the incident, and as officers were headed to the scene a driver turning onto Stoneridge Drive from Foothill Road saw the occupants of a black sedan throwing several items out of their car.

The driver lost sight of the car near Interstate 680 but drove to the Pleasanton Police Department to report what she had seen. Officers who recovered the discarded property on Stoneridge Drive found miscellaneous items showing an address in the 800 block of Hopkins Way. When police went to that residence, they discovered the home had been broken into and ransacked.

Witnesses described the suspect vehicle in the two cases as being similar to a 2000-04 black, four-door Lexus or Honda, with gold trim. The suspects are described as one Hispanic male and two black males, all in their mid-20s.

The victim in the Hopkins Way burglary is still compiling a list of what was stolen from her home.

A daytime burglary March 23 in the 3600 block of Annis Circle netted nearly $9,000 in cash and coins. Stolen was $6,600 cash, plus about $1,500 in coins, a large plastic Budweiser bottle containing about $500 in mixed cash and a Playstation 3 valued at $200. The burglary took place between 12:30 and 2:43 p.m. Entry was gained by forcing open a sliding glass door.

The investigations are ongoing. Witnesses and others with information on the suspects and their vehicle are urged to contact the Police Department at 931-5100.

Police are also reminding residents that burglars will often check to see if a home is occupied by ringing the doorbell. If no one answers, these criminals feel comfortable entering the side or rear yards to look for access into the home.

Comments

Posted by Kevin Raposo
a resident of Amador Estates
on Mar 29, 2012 at 8:15 am

This burglar used the most common method of scoping out a home. Usually they will knock on a door to see if someone is home. I recently wrote an article that might be helpful to readers on how to better protect themselves from a burglar:

Burglar Reveals 15 Trade Secrets - A Look Into The Mind of a Burglar
Web Link

Feel free to share or re-post!

Posted by Roger Dodger
on Mar 29, 2012 at 8:49 am

We need to get the Pleasanton Police away from trying to catch drivers doing a couple of miles/hour over the speed limit and have them patroling to prevent burglaries and other serious crimes. Burglaries, robberies and muggings are definitely on the upswing in Pleasanton.

The City of Pleasanton also needs to implement a Green River Ordinance to put a stop to all the door-to-door peddling. I've noticed an increasing number of these peddlers could be "casing the joint".

Posted by Concerned
a resident of Oak Hill
on Mar 29, 2012 at 9:01 am

I agree with Roger in that we need to be aware of the increasing number of door to door peddlers. Over the last 5 days, we've had at least 4 different people ringing our doorbell and asking for donations to charities or trying to sell something. Last night it was well after dark. It makes me very uncomfortable.

Posted by Similar
on Mar 29, 2012 at 9:34 am

Three burglaries last week ! Sounds similar to the guy selling 'cleaner' in Danbury last week, asking my neighbor man 'do you live alone?'.
Anybody dumb enough attempt theft in Danbury would be trapped finding we have 8 foot fences, not 6 ft....he would be truly 'trapped'!! and the front neighbors are close enough to see, all know who belongs and who doesn't !. And since I live alone, I would have no choice but to defend myself and my property.

Posted by Chauncy
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Mar 29, 2012 at 9:36 am

Over the past week I've counted no less than 36 door to door scam artists and criminals on my doorstep. Some of them were barely 12 years old. This all started when they extended the BART. Thanks a lot Barack Obama, and thanks a lot to the United Nations for wanting to take over this great city of ours.

Posted by stop buying
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Mar 29, 2012 at 10:01 am

I'd suggest stop patronizing folks showing up at the front door to curb the financial incentive to solicit door-to-door. I think we have an old, unconstitutional peddling/soliciting ordinance on the books. Maybe the city attorney could amend the ordinance to match recent court cases on the matter. Maybe we need to e-mail our representatives on the council to possibly effect real change.

Posted by Nancy s.
on Mar 29, 2012 at 12:21 pm

@chauncy...how is it obama's fault BARTcomes to pleasanton? And how has the united nations changed pleasanton? You are truly ignorant.

Posted by Chauncy
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Mar 29, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Hey Nancy s., just whose the ignorant one? Obama steals from every one of us, and so people in Oakland whose kids maybe look like Obama's think they can ride the BART, wear hoodies, and steal from us too.

As for the United Nations, you apparently don't realize that Obama's legions of blue-helmet wearing UN forces intend to parachute into our city and force our socialist city council to put bike lanes on every street. And where do you think the low-income housing plans came from? I'll tell you. The United Nations, that's where. Sheeesh! Wake up and smell the TEA brewing!!!

Posted by Don
a resident of Fairlands Elementary School
on Mar 29, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I'm also really sick of Pleasanton's after dark solicitors. I call the Police every time it happens. They say they are "aware of solicitors in my neighborhood." We should have a city ordinance preventing after dark solicitors. It's time our city government woke up.

Posted by Shoot Them- some important Questions
a resident of Danbury Park
on Mar 29, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Shoot them with your camera or cell phone camera - note what they look like, height, race, clothing, shoes, and then call the police.
I met the guy selling "cleaner' in Danbury Park too- very suspicious -sure seemed like he was casing the places.
He gave me a small flyer from a Georgia firm, whined about being from the Inner City, then demanded the flyer back. He didn't stop at the neighbors houses, but disappeared into the park.
Q. Do these people need to have a permit?
Q. Does the No Soliciting sign have an legal bearing?

Posted by But they have time to regulate plastic bags.
a resident of Danbury Park
on Mar 29, 2012 at 5:06 pm

It would be better to do something to stop the repeat thefts, and robberies, and leave bags alone. How do these people get elected, and what can we do now?

Posted by stop buying
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Mar 30, 2012 at 8:11 am

@ST-some important Questions... The question of permiting seems like a grey area to me. Can a local gov't regulate if a person can knock on your door? What if that person wants to inform you about something political/social/religious? Or if that person wants to sell you something for profit? Should local realtors be prohitied from littering my porch with flyers? Or just rude, pushy out-of-towners after dark? I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

And no, a sign has no legal authority. I'd like to see more "Please don't open my unlocked car and take my stuff" signs in windows...

Posted by Been There
on Mar 31, 2012 at 12:13 am

I don't think it's ever OK to permit anyone to sell door-to-door because ....why? ... NO ONE WANTS THESE SALES PEOPLE! Duh!

Get with it Pleasanton Police and City Council.

About 15 years ago I lived in a nice, South Bay neighborhood and we had these same solicitors....we were robbed one week later...with all of us in the house. In an upscale neighborhood. Very Scary!!!!
Pleasanton Police need to inundate our 'solicited' neighborhoods with squad cars because..there will be burglaries - no question. Just wait.

Also, I thought a " No Trespassing" sign carried a firm legal warning and that anyone going past that sign could be prosecuted. Perhaps some Realtors can comment because I think it is part of property law.

Posted by no trespassing
on Mar 31, 2012 at 8:46 am

Agree with you "Been There". I don't understand why the city permits door-to-door solicitors to come to MY door - but not theirs. The local code seems to say solicitors are given permission to solicit on my property, where I take on the liability, but not on public property (the city's). And given that we can't distinguish between who is soliciting, and who is a criminal - why even allow this?

The police apparently are of the opinion that No Trespassing and No Soliciting signs carry no weight. I would think such signs would be the same as me asking someone to leave. But that's not the police's take on it. It's almost like the city's permitting process has negated homeowner's property rights. There are trespassing laws - but in this city, I can't get a clear understanding of how they are enforced, unless someone commits a crime.

I don't want to trample on anyone's "rights", but I'm a bit confused by the fact that this permitting process seems to have given people rights to my property. Sure I can call the police if someone refuses to leave, but as many have experienced, asking solicitors to leave is not a pleasant experience, and why do I have to put up with that? And is it fair to allow solicitors who don't pay for retail space to compete with stores that do in selling their products? And what about the fact that we can opt out of phone solicitation (do not call lists)? Is it fair to telemarketers to allow door-to-door solicitors? There are lots of "rights" that need to be balanced.

Posted by Jimmy Dean Sausage
a resident of Carriage Gardens
on Mar 31, 2012 at 8:54 am

Yes, BART is a two-way sword to our community, BUT think about this scenario: They rob a house, THEY run for miles to the Stoneridge BART station with a 50" flat panel screen strapped to their back, and an Xbox 360 under their left arm. THEN they casually buy a ticket. THEN they pretend act normal while waiting 15 minutes for the next train, THEN they look for two available seats, THEN... ...should I go on?

Posted by Alex
a resident of Stoneridge
on Apr 1, 2012 at 10:04 am

Here's a good idea - Lets ask Pleasanton Police will to provide official "No Soliciting at this house" signs that residents (we) can place at our front doors? Neighborhoods should band together and paste the same looking sign on all of our doors. Solicitors will notice the change quickly. Will notice we are watching out for each other as a large group, vs. individuals.

Anyone know who I can call at the dept to get this started?

Posted by Chauncy
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Apr 1, 2012 at 10:12 am

Typical entitlement plea. Have the police provide the signs for me. Why don't you just have your butler or housekeeper shoo them away?

Posted by Chauncy
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Apr 1, 2012 at 10:55 am

If there's someone always at home, you've got nothing to worry about. Ever since the BART was extended, I've made sure either my butler or my two housekeepers are at home when I'm gone. Now, I've got to worry about them too, let me tell you. But I guess I'm less afraid of them than the BART riders who invade us from you know wheresland.

Posted by John
a resident of Ruby Hill
on Apr 3, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I don't answer the door unless I expect someone or it's a mail carrier. If they choose to enter anyway, let them get past my baseball bat and then my 2nd line of defense, my rotweiler. Nothing good comes from an unexpected knock at the door. It's not the Publishers Clearing House!

Posted by Chauncy
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Apr 4, 2012 at 7:09 am

Sometimes they come disguised as mail carriers. Other times they try to look like Girl Scouts and Brownies. And other times still they show up wearing white shirts, black ties, and their magic happy underpants. I've got seven 'no tresspassing' signs alongside my driveway and that still don't stop them.