News

Services for Realtor Roy Dronkers set for today

Award-winning businessman, who died last Friday, was friends to thousands

A celebration of life for Roy Dronkers, who died last Friday, will be held from 1-3 p.m. today at Tommy T's in Pleasanton.

Mr. Dronkers, a well-known Realtor in Pleasanton for many years, died Friday. The circumstances of his death were not reported and Pleasanton police said they could not comment on the death.

A 1972 graduate of Bishop O'Dowd High School in Oakland, where he was born, Mr. Dronkers was an award-winning business leader who was active in a number of professional and civic organizations.

He held a bachelor's degree in Business Administration from California State University, East Bay. He worked with the Clorox Corporation before beginning his career in real estate in 1986 in Pleasanton.

Just a year ago, he was honored with a Legacy award by the Tri-Valley YMCA at that organization's Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. breakfast. As the past co-chair of Operation Care, Mr. Dronkers also was an active member of both the Pleasanton Chamber of Commerce and the Pleasanton Downtown Association.

A Realtor with Keller Williams Tri-Valley Realty and more recently with Better Homes and Gardens Mason-McDuffie Real Estate in Pleasanton, Mr. Dronkers also was a member of the Rotary Club of Pleasanton, a past board member of the Bay East Association of Realtors and a founder of an annual Realtor charity fundraiser that has raised more than $200,000 for Tri-Valley agencies since 2007.

He also was also an active booster of the Pleasanton Weekly's annual Holiday Fund, and persuaded hundreds of his real estate associates to join him in contributing thousands of dollars to the Fund that then provided direct financial help to local nonprofit organizations.

Among many messages of grief and condolences sent to the Pleasanton Weekly are these:

Realtor Bob Shapiro:

"Having been a long time friend and mentor for Roy, I am saddened by this tragic loss. Roy was a true humanitarian. As president of the Valley Marketing Association, now VREN, he was instrumental in raising around $200,000 for the Tri-Valley Community Fund. He was a caring individual who always lent a helping hand to those who needed it. To me, he epitomized sincere community involvement and friendship. He will be missed by the community, realtors, clients and family.

Gary Alt, president, Rotary Club of Pleasanton:

"I am saddened that Roy Dronkers, a former member of the Rotary Club of Pleasanton, passed away Friday. Roy served the Pleasanton community in many ways over many years. We will remember Roy for his friendly smile, warm handshake and his genuine love for everyone."

Realtor Chris Miller, founder of Pleasanton Military Families Support Group:

"Roy Dronkers was an awesome guy who supported the Pleasanton Military Families Support Group many, many times. In his leadership role of the marketing group of mostly Pleasanton Realtors, they raised thousands of dollars from the early days of our existence and onward. He was the driving force in that role. This group led by him helped our pack-outs and our needs to support financially our troops and families in many, many ways. I do hope that he will now join up with his father now up in heaven who was a POW in World War II."

Realtor Will Doerlich, president of the Valley Real Estate Network:

"We are truly saddened with the passing of our friend and colleague Roy Dronkers. Roy was an integral part of the growth and success of the Valley Real Estate Network over the last 10 years. We worked together, laughed together, and grew together. He served both his clients and his profession well. He will be missed."

Pat Frizzell, Pleasanton Military Families:

"Early on in the formation of Pleasanton Military Families, this gentleman and other Realtors helped to raise funds for us and helped make the community aware of just how many sons and daughters of Pleasanton were serving in the military. (Their) funds helped replace a broken heater for a family when their dad was deployed and also, purchased a laptop computer for one of our PMF mom's that had Lou Gehrig's disease and could no longer speak. Thank you to Roy. You will be missed."

Mr. Dronkers' family is requesting that flowers, cards and condolences be sent in care of Ron Dronkers, 370 Oak Lane, Pleasanton, CA 94566.

Comments

Posted by a friend, a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Jan 21, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Rest in Peace, Roy. You have left a void in our community. Heartfelt condolences to the Dronker Family.

Posted by Chris Paterson, a resident of another community
on Jan 22, 2012 at 8:58 am

I was truely saddened to learn of Roy Dronkers passing. I worked with Roy closely during my many years at the Pleasanton Weekly, infact Roy was one of many influential members of the Pleasanton community that were so helpful in the early days of the Weekly back in 2000. I can't claim to know him as well as many, but the times our paths crossed were a pleasure. He was a true gentleman. The real estate community, and the entire Pleasanton community, have lost a real friend. My thoughts are with his family and loved ones.

Posted by Gary Palmatier, a resident of Stoneridge
on Jan 22, 2012 at 9:40 am

Unbelievable...Penny and I have known and worked with Roy since 1986 and are profoundly saddened by his death. We both had seen home in the past week or so and cannot believe this turn of events. Our hearts go out to his family.

Posted by AJP, a resident of Livermore
on Jan 22, 2012 at 12:51 pm

RIP Roy. I enjoyed our talks during PDA meetings and events. I spent weeks with Roy while we were in Leadership Pleasanton together. We were on the same team and I just loved how friendly he was! He was always interested in what I or anyone else had to say. I'm truly saddened by this news. My thoughts are with you Dronkers family!

Posted by Denise murphy, a resident of Danville
on Jan 22, 2012 at 1:33 pm

So sorry to hear this news . A great guy , lovely family. He sold us our current home 20 yrs ago. May the family feel the love of the community at this sad time.

Posted by Marla Tipton, a resident of Livermore
on Jan 22, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Roy was a wonderful, caring man. He was a delight to know. He touched my life in such a profound way. When our home burned down, he headed up a collection for me and my family from the Valley Real Estate Network. We will never forget his personal message to us - he said, "Don't forget that there are good people out there, who care." It was so touching. I also had the pleasure of working with him over the years and he was always so kind.

I always admired his commitment to local charities - he had a truly philanthropic nature. My thoughts and prayers are with the Dronkers family at this truly, impossibly, difficult time. I hope they can take comfort in the many, many lives he touched - like mine - who will always be grateful for Roy Dronkers and with whom some of his generous spirit will live on.

Posted by Esther Becker, a resident of Birdland
on Jan 22, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Roy was a truely wonderful man, a legacy to the Real Estate community. You are missed terribly!

Posted by Mike Fracisco, a resident of Country Fair
on Jan 23, 2012 at 8:10 am

Roy was a wonderful man and friend. We both served together in the Real Estate marketplace and he was a great leader in our industry. My sincere sympathy to his family and friends who have lost a very caring and loving person.

Posted by Kathy Flachsbarth, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Jan 23, 2012 at 8:57 am

I am stunned and very saddened to hear of Roy's passing. He helped us purchase our current home in Shadow Cliff Village 18 years ago as we re-located to Pleasanton from Solvang. He was very patient and helpful as we struggled with the transition. Roy kept in touch through the years and on occasion our paths would cross and he always took the time to chat. Such a nice person. What a great loss to our community, and my thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Posted by Francine Bauer, a resident of another community
on Jan 23, 2012 at 9:13 am

Roy, you always made everyone feel so welcome, and special!
A knowledgable, and honorable man..havent seen him for 3 years, as I have left the Tri-Valley area, but never lost respect and kindness for him.
Thank you for all you did for the Pleasanton community, it was great knowing you, working with you..Bless you, and your memories, they will last forever:)

with sorrow and regrets..

Francine Bauer

Posted by The Buescher Family, a resident of Birdland
on Jan 23, 2012 at 9:39 am

We are very saddened to hear of Roys passing! Roy was a caring, compassionate and well liked man! His overwhelming support for our military and their families is heartfelt by many. A true gentleman and great American. Our sincere condolences to the Dronkers family! May your memories give you strength and may you take comfort in knowing an Angel is watching over you.

Posted by Nancy Ponder, a resident of another community
on Jan 23, 2012 at 9:42 am

We are so saddened to learn of Roy's death. Our condolences go out to his family, especially his 2 boys. Roy and I worked together for many years in the real estate industry and he was a true professional.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to his entire family,
Nancy and Joe Ponder

Posted by Bob and Joyce Shapiro, a resident of Vineyard Hills
on Jan 23, 2012 at 11:26 am

Roy was a true friend and humanitarian. We loved his smile and his desire to give back to the community. Roy was a big teddy bear who loved to hug friends and associates. His contributions to the community will be long felt.

Rest in peace, our friend, we love you

Posted by Robin Dickson, EVP, J. Rockcliff Realtors, a resident of Livermore
on Jan 23, 2012 at 11:52 am

The Tri-Valley and our local real estate industry has truly lost someone very special. Roy worked for and with several local real estate companies over the years and was tremendously respected by his peers. His care of others, whether friends, clients, family or competitors was well known. His infectious smile and legendary hugs will be sorely missed.

My thoughts and prayers are with Roy's family during this incredibly difficult time.

Posted by dronkers family, a resident of Castlewood
on Jan 23, 2012 at 4:40 pm

On behalf of Roy, his entire family would like to thank you for your love and support during this difficult time.

Posted by lisa currin, a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Jan 23, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Roy was a special person in my family. My daughter dated his boy for years, and I got to know him as a wonderful, giving man. My heart goes out to Tim and the whole family.

Posted by Rob Borghese, a resident of Downtown
on Jan 23, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I am so shocked and saddened. I wish I had known Roy better. He sold us our first home on Bonita Ave in '07. I was just getting into real estate in California at the time and got to know Roy a little bit attending all the VREN Friday meetings. He was the President when then and he was always fun, funny, upbeat and giving of himself. I think he helped lift us all up by his will and strength of character. Whenever I would run into him around town he would lift me up with his smile, handshake and friendly word. Though I wasn't blessed to be a close friend of Roy's I none-the-less feel a profound loss and sadness knowing I won't see him anymore. For his family I thank you for sharing Roy with us and hope your faith comforts you knowing Roy is in God's hands and He is well pleased in Roy for the way he lived.

Posted by Gib Souza, a resident of Livermore
on Jan 23, 2012 at 5:50 pm

A great friend has been lost. May he rest in peace. Roy is such a great individual who always made you feel welcome and was truly interested in what you had to say. He will be missed but not forgotten.

Posted by Cary Cowper, a resident of San Ramon
on Jan 23, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I met Roy while selling new homes in the Tri Valley. He was so kind to me, he helped me get a better understanding of the resale world, and was always available to answer any question about any thing real estate related. I learned a great deal from him, I still have the Christmas CD he gave me many years ago, it will have even deeper meaning every time I play it now. May his family take heart there will be a lot of candles glowing in his honor, I'm lighting mine tonight. God bless.

Posted by Jeanie Reitzell, a resident of Golden Eagle
on Jan 23, 2012 at 7:24 pm

He was the best: friend, Realtor, Dad, community leader, mentor, fund raiser, giver, buddy. I feel blessed that he was in my life. I loved him and will miss him so much. What a great loss for all of us especially Tim and Jeff. My heart goes out to his entire family. He will never be forgotten.

Posted by Penny Piston, a resident of another community
on Jan 23, 2012 at 8:43 pm

This world has lost an amazing man and we all mourn. The heavens are celebrating the arrival of a fabulous Angel! Imagine the party they must be having right now! Roy, I hope you dance like you never danced before!
Until we meet again my friend. Love ya, Pen

Posted by Ed Ibanez, a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Jan 23, 2012 at 9:12 pm

My thoughts and prayers goes out to the entire Dronkers family. I only met Roy a few times in both business and then again during his nephew Jake's baseball games, but each time he remembered my name and gave a firm handshake and a smile. May he now rest in peace.

Posted by Gary Schwaegerle, a resident of Downtown
on Jan 23, 2012 at 9:17 pm

This is so sad, shocking; life so fragile, so short, he seemed on top of the world. Let us always love one another, Life is precious, he died to young. Our love & prayers go out to the Dronkers Family, Gary Schwaegerle & Family

Posted by Jenny Broxham, a resident of another community
on Jan 23, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Oh Roy... your warm smile and sincere interest in others is what I will remember about you. You made me feel special and important. I will miss you. - Jenny Broxham

Posted by Mary Pominville, a resident of another community
on Jan 23, 2012 at 10:51 pm

With my deepest sympathy to the Dronkers' family at this sad time
in their lives. I pray that your hearts will be comforted learning
how many lives Roy touched. Blessings...

Posted by Stephen Bullock, a resident of Dublin
on Jan 23, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Roy was an amazing person and a wonderful man who I am privileged to call my friend. I can't believe he's no longer with us. The community has lost a consummate gentleman who will be missed by so many.

I considered Roy a big brother, always happy to lend an ear and share some sage advice when needed. Roy was a fun loving man of character, a charismatic leader, an intelligent entrepreneur, father, brother, husband and my dear friend.

My heartfelt condolences to the Dronkers family…. I pray that your sorrow is short-lived, your pain quickly passing and the memories everlasting.

I love you Roy! God Bless.

Posted by Jean Melton, a resident of San Ramon
on Jan 24, 2012 at 9:01 am

With our deepest sympathy to the Dronkers' family at this sad time
in their lives. We pray that your hearts will be comforted learning
how many lives Roy touched. God bless your family, especially through these hard times.

Posted by Francine Pike, a resident of Livermore
on Jan 24, 2012 at 9:24 am

I am truly saddened by the passing of my dear friend, Roy Dronkers. I feel blessed to have known him and will never forget his smile, warmth and compassion. My sincere condolences to the Dronkers family. I will miss you.

Posted by Rhonda Fee, a resident of Southeast Pleasanton
on Jan 24, 2012 at 9:27 am

I am honored to have called Roy Dronkers friend. He was warm, caring and interested in the needs of others. He might truly be most well known for his amazing smile and warmth toward all. If Roy was around, you were sure to have a place to fit in and feel a part of the group. My heart aches at the loss of such a caring man. He will be deeply missed. Pleasanton was a better place with Roy Dronkers. To his children, he loved you and spoke of you often. He was a proud father. Be at peace my friend. I wish I could have hugged you one last time.

Posted by Kenny Braillard, a resident of Lydiksen Elementary School
on Jan 24, 2012 at 10:28 am

I've always enjoyed the friendly, kind, generous spirit of Roy Dronkers, my heart is heavy with the sense of loss. Roy was a friend for life. His selfless desire to serve is and was an inspiration to us all. A fine businessman and great community leader was lost. Roy was such a wonderful giver. My love for Roy Dronkers will always remain indelible! My deepest sympathy goes out to his family. He made the World a better place!

Posted by Kim Evans, Intero Real Estate, a resident of another community
on Jan 24, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Roy Donkers was a well know, friendly soul. I had the pleasure of meeting this well known realtor in Tri Valley a a Tri-Valley marketing meeting. He was a genlemen and a well liked person.

Roy, you worked extremely hard and may you rest in peace now. My heartfelt condolences to the family for this great loss. May God bless you and help you bear this loss.

Kim Evans
Broker-Associate
Intero Real Estate

Posted by Tammy Pryor, a resident of Livermore
on Jan 24, 2012 at 1:14 pm

The passing of Roy has been such a shake up for the Real Estate Industry and Tri-Valley Communities. Roy was such a giver, loving, caring gentle man. Every hurt he saw: he was there to revive the best in every situation. I am proud to call him my friend, collegue and inspirer. May you rest in Peace Roy and may his boys and family find Peace in knowing what an Awesome Person Roy was.

Posted by Cam Inman, a resident of another community
on Jan 24, 2012 at 11:02 pm

I had the pleasure of getting to know Roy through my wife and the real estate community. His sly smile and friendly vibe will be missed. A few months ago, Roy got me back into playing tennis, even for 6 a.m. get-the-rust-off sessions at our club. Not once did he mock my terrible forehand returns. Not once did he try to flee the court. Not once will I miss him when I think of tennis -- and of course when I think Roy. I went to the gym today, hopped on the treadmill and tennis was on the TV. Karma. Live life to its fullest people.

Posted by Mike DeFreitas, a resident of another community
on Jan 25, 2012 at 8:07 am

Roy always had a smile on his face, always lending a handshake and a smile. Truly sad what has happened and hope the family, friends, and colleagues can get through this difficult time. As you can see, we all miss you, and will continue to do so. Take care buddy...

Posted by Goran, a resident of Livermore
on Jan 25, 2012 at 11:22 am

Thank you, for everything.

Posted by Randall Pickerell, a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Jan 25, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Roy was a truly a man of integrity and class, he always treated me kindly even when I was a greenhorn loan officer who knew very little. I will miss him both personally and professionally. Our industry will suffer this loss very deeply. RIP Roy, condolences to your family and friends!

Posted by Larry Plummer, a resident of San Ramon
on Jan 26, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I spent time with Roy and his family when my youngest son played Little League baseball with Roy's son. Terrific, friendly and, as someone mentioned, sly sense of humor. Roy was a very supportive and loving dad and I really enjoyed my time spent with him. He was always supportive of ALL the kids on the baseball teams and was a great adult role model. I had seen Roy only once in a while over the past years, but will miss him.

Posted by Lauren Abrams, a resident of San Ramon
on Jan 26, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I first had the pleasure of meeting Roy back in 2003 when he was part of the dynanic duo team as Vice President, with Jeanie Reitzell of our Valley Marketing group. It felt more like stand-up comedy than a meeting and it's that kind of smart talent that kept us all engaged. He was an impressive communicator, leader and friend. Roy was genuine and caring; always inquiring about family, remembering details and truly interested in others. I will miss him and am doubly sad that I hadn't seen him lately yet thankful that he had been in my life. My heart goes out to his family.

Posted by Vickie, a resident of Livermore
on Jan 26, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Roy was always interested in others. He always asked about our kids when we saw him. I know that his boys were so very important to him and how proud he was of them growing up to be fine young men. Roy will never know how much he will be missed and how many lives he touched. The world is a better place with him having been here.
Vickie Keller

Posted by Marlene Dietrich, a resident of another community
on Jan 29, 2012 at 8:06 am

To My Dear Friend Roy:
You are the Warmest, Most Gentle person I know! You care about everyone, including people you don't even know. Working for you for over 4 years taught me a lot, not just about Real Estate but about helping those in need. I remember when you read a story in the Newspaper about a baby not having enough formula and you went right out and bought formula and brought it to that family. Diapers for another family, you never hesitated, over and over.

You didn't return my call for your Birthday, I knew you would eventually, now I wish I would have called again. We didn't get together often since I now live in Southern CA but we would pick up right where we left off when we did, as if we lived next door, that is what good friends do. Talking on the phone or in person, we talked about everything from Real Estate down to our deep down relationships.

Roy, I want to call you now and talk to you like we always did, ask you why, with everyone who loves you, why didn't you let us do something for you for a change. I guess that is my answer, you never wanted to burden others…. I have learned so much from you that I will always treasure…..you are and will be in my thoughts always.

Marlene

Posted by Hans & Gisela Telm, a resident of Livermore
on Jan 30, 2012 at 10:20 am

We are truly saddened by your passing. You were a real professional and a true friend and helped us greatly to navigate the treacherous waters of a short sale, when we purchased our new residence in Livermore and sold our old place in Pleasanton. Your diligent effort made it possible that we did not miss any of the stringend deadlines and closed the deal just in the nick of time. In the process you became a friend of our family and we were thrilled to let you have our little convertible for a weekend outing to the coast. Roy, we will miss you and your genuine smile and we will keep you in our memory forever. As we mourn your loss, our hearts go out to your family, But we know that the Lord will have a special place for you where you can experience happiness

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.