News

Mortgage default notices increase in Bay Area, statewide

Notices in Contra Costa County up 20.7%

A real estate tracking firm announced Wednesday mortgage default notices in the Bay Area were up by 17.6 percent in the first quarter of this year, compared to the first quarter of 2008.

Statewide, the firm reported the number of notices rose 80 percent since the most prior quarter.

MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates DataQuick is a subsidiary that monitors real estate activity nationwide and reports the information to county recording offices, among other institutions and public agencies.

It provided a report comparing default notices from January through March in 2008 and 2009.

Its report stated that lenders filed 19,438 notices in the Bay Area, comparing it to 16,531 notices in the same 2008 quarter.

Sonoma County was the only Bay Area county that decreased the number of notices with 1,241 in the first quarter, a 10.8 percent drop.

Napa County had the least amount of notices with 352, but it was a 23.9 percent increase since 2008.

The most notices were reported in Contra Costa County, with 4,016 and a 20.7 percent increase.

The biggest increase came through San Mateo County with 1,241 notices, serving a 36.2 percent increase.

San Francisco lenders filed 569 default notices, a 35.5 percent increase.

DataQuick is reporting that 135,431 notices were filed statewide, which is up by 19 percent compared to the first quarter of 2008, but up 80 percent from the quarter prior.

It reported that on primary mortgages, homeowners were a median of five months behind on payments when the lender filed the notice of default, and they owed a median of $12,926 on a $346,400 mortgage.

"While most first quarter 2009 foreclosure activity was still concentrated in affordable inland communities, there are signs that the

problem is slowly migrating into other areas," the firm stated.

Bay City News Service, Jeb Bing

Comments

Posted by gary
a resident of Danville
on Apr 23, 2009 at 9:19 pm

lets all keep driving those high $$$$cars and look like were not in any pain here this is la la land .REALITY IS KNOCKING ON YOUR DOOR!!! WATCHOUT. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED LOOK AROUND THE STORM

Posted by steve
on Apr 24, 2009 at 12:12 am

If there was a 100% income tax rate..... there would be no homeless in Pleasanton.

Posted by inmyopinion
on Apr 25, 2009 at 8:09 am

The economy hits everyone, everywhere across the board. You can live in Antioch or Danville, it is all relative. It may hit the upper middle class harder because many of them spend wildly, don't know how to budget, never taught their children the value of a dollar and have the narcistic need to "keep up with the Jones". The population as a whole needs to wake up, spend within your means, think about your future, live happy and don't worry what other people think, they are not the ones paying your bills.

Posted by Agree...sort of
on Apr 25, 2009 at 9:39 am

IMO,

I get what you are saying, but this should include everyone. While the majority need to tune up their saving accounts and spending habits that had no-consequences until late, we also need to consider that if we possibly spent less on taxes, we'd have more of our money to pay for things we need to instead of charging or defaulting. And if business corporate taxes were less, they wouldn't need to lay off as many causing more defaults because of the employee now not having the money to pay bills.

Posted by Newbe
a resident of Ruby Hill
on Apr 25, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Hey Gary,

I'm still driving the beamer and plan to buy another soon. Lots of irresponsible folks out there though, thats for sure, you sound like you might be one of them based on that chip on your shoulder. I notcied you are in Danville, are you living there or working at Burger King? I know its hard for you to take, but those of us who live in Pleasanton will not only "weather the storm" but find lots of new opportunites to get even richer...cash is king my friend. I'm not even a tea partyer; I don't mind giving a little more so the rest of you can "survive". Now, isn't that very liberal of me?

Posted by Just a question for Newbe
on Apr 25, 2009 at 8:14 pm

Hi Newbe -

I don't want to pick a fight with you, especially since we are fellow Bimmer families (ours being a very used and depreciated one when it was purchased, but just simply are enthusiasts!!),but not all of us in Pleasanton can make it your way. My spouse and I are in our early thirties with two little ones and we are barely scraping by. If you vote to have yourself and others give a little more, you might cause a few others of us that are just managing to pay for everything, but are one crisis away from falling down, from having that crisis.

I'm not complaining - it was our choice to move here and live here, but now we are stuck with our entire savings swallowed up by this real estate mess, and now we are cannot get out of here after watching our home value plumet to below the responsible amount we signed up for and gave as a down payment. We are positively contributing to our community and literally helping our neighbors with meals and babysitting as they go looking for a job, but other than that, we just cannot give more.

Is there another way you can see fit to "give (ing) a little more so the rest of you can "survive", by offering that via another avenue than voting for people or programs that will increase the taxes? Can you instead contribute that discretionary funding you have directly to a program that you support?

Just asking...

Posted by Newbe
a resident of Ruby Hill
on Apr 26, 2009 at 8:28 am

Hi Pleasanton Neighbor,

We don't have to fight...but like I said there are some irresponsible folks out there. Sounds like you might have made a better decision ofr your family if perhaps you would have first moved to Dublin or San Ramon. We were in our mid forties and doing very well whe we came here.In other words we made sure we could afford to live here.

I am sure there is no need for you to worry though; Obama will pay the much to big house payment for you, or should I say us 5 percenters; I don't mind but it would sure bother me if I had to take charity from tax payers I don't know because I made poor finincial decisons, my parents taught me different. And in addition to "bailing you out" we give every three months to the Open Heart Kitchen for people that REALLY need help, in fact I dropped forty bucks in the Girl Scouts box at Lucky's yesterday for Open Heart...how much have you given to those really less fortunate? Oh, we also pay the gardener and landscaper well, we gave them a raise to help offset the price of gas. I am going to vote for the parcel tax because my kids teachers here are so great.

My advice is to put your place on the market and move out to the Central Valley, we have purchased two homes out there this year and the rent back is covering the payments; when this economy turns and people get back to their senses I hope to have a dozen propoerties.

Posted by Megan
a resident of Jensen Tract
on Apr 26, 2009 at 9:23 am

Newbie is yanking your chain.

Posted by How I Lost Thirty Pounds in Thirty Days
a resident of Ridgeview Commons
on May 3, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Hi, nice post. I have been wondering about this issue,so thanks for sharing. I'll certainly be subscribing to your site.