News

SUV crashes into light pole, tree on Sunol Boulevard

Woman was distracted, jumped curb just before Arlington Drive

A woman on her way to take her daughter to swim practice lost control of her SUV just after 6 p.m. Wednesday, jumped a curb on Sunol Boulevard, and knocked down a power pole and a tree, according to police.

Pleasanton police officer Chris Niederhaus said the woman was planning to make a right turn in her Ford Explorer on Arlington Drive but became distracted and veered off toward the sidewalk.

No one was injured. Niederhaus said neither speed, alcohol nor drugs appeared to be factors in the crash, which occured just off the Interstate 680 freeway exit, right before the "Welcome to Pleasanton" sign.

The city's streets department was also called to turn the power off in the immediate area, Niederhaus said.

Comments

Posted by frank, a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Mar 11, 2009 at 9:02 pm

"distracted"=cell phone use, probably texting with head down. I have seen the exact same thing happen before, except the power pole did not come down.

Posted by bang up job, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 11, 2009 at 9:08 pm

Did you see the green van parked on Santa Rita, bad hit. Another driver texting? Dude, I feel for you.

Posted by Jerry, a resident of Oak Hill
on Mar 11, 2009 at 11:17 pm

Those power poles have a bad habit of not moving out of the way...:)

Posted by Jeff, a resident of Danbury Park
on Mar 12, 2009 at 7:14 am

Funny (not)-- some of the worst drivers I've ever encountered are driving the very old Ford Explorers, like the one this woman was not driving very well. Notice the nice dent in the back - looks like there was a pattern of poor driving here. Hate to see the increase in her insurance premium!

Posted by Another Gatetree Resident, a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Mar 12, 2009 at 7:29 am

Jeff -- Apparently this driver HAS been distracted more than once. While driver license renewal by mail may save DMV time and money, some people should simply be exempt and/or required to walk.

To the driver of this vehicle I say, "Thank God your distraction cost only vegetation life and a light pole. Your next "distraction" could be a child.

Posted by Pleasanton Resident, a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Mar 12, 2009 at 7:49 am

Just your stereotypical Pleasanton Soccer Mom! A menace on the road.

Posted by Anon, a resident of Del Prado
on Mar 12, 2009 at 8:00 am

Some really stupid comments by some of the people above. One person even has an issue with Ford Explorers.

It could have been just an accident, mind wandering or being tired. You all know you have done this at least once when driving.

Posted by Ray, a resident of Downtown
on Mar 12, 2009 at 8:45 am

You're right Anon, who amongst us hasn't crashed a large SUV into a light pole when we get a little tired? It's a time honored, All-American soccer mom tradition. Not to make light of a car crash, but why is it always SUV drivers that do this stuff?

Posted by resident, a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Mar 12, 2009 at 8:52 am

Ray, don't you know that's because SUV means "sucking useless vehicle"? That goes for most of the drivers too. Talking, texting, putting on their make-up.

Posted by Sober member of AA, a resident of San Ramon
on Mar 12, 2009 at 9:02 am

Several years ago I was driving an SUV and hit a PG&E pole (they billed me for it along with my monthly charges) and the vehicle was a total loss. I should have been sited by the CHP who were at the scene as I had prescription drugs on board and I was definitely impaired. This sort of thing happens all too often especially if there seems to be no evidence of alcohol.I am not saying that this was the case with this woman, but it was the case with me. I have not had a drug or a drink sense that time.

Posted by E Blume, a resident of Country Fair
on Mar 12, 2009 at 10:02 am

This is irresponsible journalism... we have no idea if the daughter made it to swim class or not!

People do need to be more careful. We have a lot of cyclists and pedestrians around...

Posted by Anon, a resident of Del Prado
on Mar 12, 2009 at 10:17 am

Ray you miss the point in your uncontrolled rant. I am sure you have never had an accident while operating a car or a near miss where you pulled over in to a lane only to find another car in that space and swerved back.

I am sure you are perfect in all respects when it comes to driving. How about giving people the benefit of the doubt. Let the CHP reason whether she should be ticketed or not. After all isnt that what they are paid to do.

Posted by Anon, a resident of Del Prado
on Mar 12, 2009 at 10:17 am

Posted by Marie, a resident of Birdland
on Mar 12, 2009 at 10:24 am

I was hit by a mom not paying attention to where she was going.... she crossed 5 lanes of traffic when running a red just to hit me and my 4 kids! Thank God we are alive!! It was horrible.

I REALLY WISH PEOPLE WOULD PAY ATTENTION TO THEIR DRIVING AND NOT THEIR PHONES, OR WHATEVER THE DISTRATION WAS..........

thanks for reading.

Posted by resident, a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Mar 12, 2009 at 10:50 am

Del Prado Anon -- some of us have NOT had accidents or near misses because some of us do not drive while talking or doing anything else to distract us. I am nearly hit every day just walking around this town. With all of the soccer Mommies in SUVs you take your life into your own hands using a crosswalk. Pay attention to your driving people! I think I'll start carrying a metal rod so that every time an SUV cuts me off in the crosswalk I can slam a big dent into the side of it.

Posted by Stacey, a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Mar 12, 2009 at 10:54 am

Considering that many people own an SUV around here, chances are rather high that it'll be an SUV in an accident. Growing up here, I remember watching the majority of cars on the road give way to minivans and then to SUVs. Visiting other regions of the country, I get reminded about how abnormal such a large population of trucks (SUVs, Minivans, Pickups) in one area is.

Posted by the orge & the troll, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 12, 2009 at 11:12 am

*shakes head*

Soccer mom and her fat asset [SUV] strikes again!

It's a good thing no one got in her way except that silly tree and power pole.

Posted by observor, a resident of Avignon
on Mar 12, 2009 at 11:24 am

Just to make sure all you soccer moms and dads are in the know, there is a law in California that requires all vehicles to stop at a crosswalk when a pedestrian is present. Yes, it's a law and it should be enforced for frequently.

All too often I see soccer moms and dads not stopping for pedestrians and there are some other inconsiderate souls who stop their fat SUVs on the crosswalk just to drop off their children. Not acceptable! I've called the PPD and asked them to step up their enforcement.

Posted by bel, a resident of Val Vista
on Mar 12, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Glad there wasn't a kid or cyclist there.
Observor I hear you on the crosswalks, watched one lady wave at the crossing guard as she drove through the crosswalk (he was holding up the Stop sign standing in the center about to direct kids across.) other times they blow right through.

Posted by Just a mom, a resident of Valley Trails
on Mar 12, 2009 at 5:14 pm

Alot of humorous comments, especially from Ray. Thanks for the laugh. If I am citing the vehicle code correctly, a vehicle is not allowed to drive through a crosswalk until the crossing guard and pedestrians are completely out of the crosswalk. I have seen countless times where the kids and guard are half way through and a large truck or SUV just drives through. I worry about the safety of the children and have told my teenage drivers many times to please be mindful when they are driving to and from school.

Posted by East, a resident of Mohr Elementary School
on Mar 12, 2009 at 6:07 pm

Hey - if you don't like my driving, Get off the sidewalk!!

Posted by Pleasanton Resident, a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Mar 12, 2009 at 7:38 pm

I'm FED UP with fighting traffic in Pleasanton behind a bunch of irresponsible distracted and rude parents taking their children to school in the morning. The woman in this article is a classic example.
I'm going to have the passenger in my car start video taping these people and post them on youtube. I say we all take their license plates and phone the police. Maybe they'll do something about it if they get enough complaints.
Anyone that would drive through a crosswalk when a child is trying to cross the street deserves to go to jail for child endangerment.

Posted by Diana, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 12, 2009 at 10:41 pm

I was also hit by a moron woman on the phone in an SUV with her kids in the back. She rear ended me on Santa Rita when I was stopped at a red arrow. It felt like a train hit the back of my car. The car was totaled. If my son had been in the back seat, she would have killed him.

Posted by Jean, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 12, 2009 at 10:44 pm

They do it every morning. They bear (bare?) down on the kids in the crosswalks, driving right at them as they cross.

Posted by Giovanni, a resident of Livermore
on Mar 12, 2009 at 11:33 pm

I ride that area often on my bike.
Usually I am looking out for white pickup trucks.
I may have to add green explorers to the list if this turns out to be a trend.

Posted by vh Mom, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Mar 13, 2009 at 8:29 am

Hopefully no one was hurt in the SUV. I don't know what her distraction was, but it continues at Vintage Hills School. Every morning, parents stop in the crosswalk and let their little darlings out while other kids are walking behind of or in front of cars to get to school. Why are these parents so clueless? Is another child's safety so unimportant to you parents??!! WAKE UP! You'll get to your tennis game or therapist's appointment soon enough....all kids matter, not just YOURS!

Posted by Rich, a resident of Birdland
on Mar 13, 2009 at 11:11 am

I just can't believe what I am reading here but it explains a lot about the direction this community has been going the past few years. People actually making left wing mantra talk about SUVs in general! Really? I honestly did not think I lived among so many politically correct folks here. Or is it that those politically correct are the only ones posting. Could be but if so, I thought "they" were suppose to be the caring and compassionate kind. I'm sure their responses will be defended by saying they are and that's why it OK to just generally hate SUV because they are SUVs.. Gosh, try thinking for a change. Its a bit harder but at the end of the day well worth the effort.

Posted by be_nice_people, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 13, 2009 at 2:46 pm

I drove by not long after it happened and the poor thing was a wreck and in tears. Just glad nobody was hurt.

Posted by swim coach, a resident of Del Prado
on Mar 15, 2009 at 12:03 am

She did not make it to practice but everyone in the car is alright. It makes me sad that my community members look to make fun of someone else when they are going through a hard time. Have a heart!

Posted by Mary Arnold, a resident of Castlewood
on Mar 16, 2009 at 5:31 pm

Well I guess the quality of mercy is lacking in Plstn. Weekly readers.Actually neither person in this car came out without minor injuries. I hope one day if the expert, hugely self righteous drivers above have a mishap while driving that the vultures will gather and pick over their bones with the same criticism they have offered this driver. I never quite understood that bumper sticker "Mean people suck" but now... I think I get it.

Posted by Ann, a resident of Ruby Hill
on Mar 16, 2009 at 5:55 pm

Well said Mary. Where is the compassion in this community. When these posters make a mistake, I hope they get what is coming to them!

Posted by Pamm, a resident of another community
on Mar 18, 2009 at 6:19 am

Bravo Mary! So many people above, Ray in particular,are looking for a soapbox and taking the unfortunate circumstances of this driver (my friend) as a jumping off spot. If you have an issue, bring it up--under the appropriate circumstances. This situation involves neither cell phones, nor soccer moms! But it does involve people who were scared, hurt (thank God not badly), and who are human. Stay focused people--and be kind. With this type of attitude pervasive in this thread, I can say I don't miss Pleasanton as much as I thought I did.

Posted by Kristi May, a resident of Mission Park
on Mar 18, 2009 at 12:33 pm

I only saw this on the Pleasanton Weekly Website because this driver is a friend of mine and another friend brought it to my attention because of the rudeness of these comments. People felt the need to mention pedestrians, bikes, texting, phone use, prescription drugs, etc. None of these were involved! This was just an accident and fortunately no one was seriously hurt. The comments about soccer moms and SUVS, come on people! Do we now put derogatory comments out against people in Pleasanton and hide behind the anonymity of these comments. It could be you next being flogged, just keep that in mind. There are enough serious problems in the world without this kind of pettiness and meanness.

Posted by Stacey, a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Mar 22, 2009 at 12:17 am

The irony is that most of the morons making rude comments have at least one status symbol look at me SUV in the driveway.

Posted by Fletch, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 22, 2009 at 3:36 am

So why isn't the Weekly clamping down on this blog? There is a lot of name calling and rude things being said here.

Since it doesn't have anything to do with the parcel tax and isn't contrary to the PW's stance, I guess it is OK.

Posted by Stacey, a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Mar 22, 2009 at 8:29 am

Stacey is a registered user.

The above post was not made by me. Also, I do not own an SUV, I wouldn't use the word "morons", nor would I write a run-on sentence.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.