Quick action by firefighters extinguished a potentially dangerous chimney fire in a large two-story home at 4397 Second St. Sunday. The fire caused minimal damage and there were no injuries.
The fire alarm was sounded at 10:30 a.m. and fire trucks from the Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Department were on the scene minutes later using an extended aerial ladder to reach the top of the chimney.
Pleasanton Weekly photographer Jay Flachsbarth, who was on the scene shortly after firefighters arrived, said smoke was spewing out of the chimney but that flames, if there were any, were contained in the flue and were quickly extinguished.
John Benson, who owns the home with his wife Cheryl, were home at the time and called 911 when they saw the smoke. Their house was originally built in 1874.
"The fire was contained to the chimney, and smoke and water damage to the structure was minimal due to the quick response of the LPFD crews," Flachsbarth said.
"Firefighters moved all of the living room furniture out of the way, laid tarps on the floor and started ventilation fans to remove the residual smoke," he added.
Since the LPFD was in the process of conducting a training meeting at the training tower on Busch Road at the time the 911 call came in, crews moved out in six different firefighting vehicles at once, prepared to handle a larger fire if the chimney fire had spread.